Favourite DVD Commentary Quotes?

What are your favourite commentary quotes from the Pixar feature films? The Pixarians seem to have so much energy and humour that the commentaries are such a pleasure to listen to. Mine would be:

From The Incredibles: (Brad Bird imitating another Pixarian) “Can we please get back to the issue of the gravy?” and from Brad Lewis talking about trying to animate a hand going through a t-shirt, “You gotta put your hand through it?”

From Toy Story: (all of the guys): “1, 2, 3, BUZZ LIGHTYEAR!”

And from A Bug’s Life (I can’t remember the exact quote) - I think it was Andrew Stanton who was talking about a joke in the bar scene that eventually got cut: “A fly walks into a bar and says to another fly, is this stool taken?” Ha-ha! :laughing:

Brad Bird from The Incredibles commentary: “So, what is it like working in the animation genre?!!”

Anything that Brad Bird says in his, as I call it, genre voice is hilarious!

I think I love the most classic line for me for commentary is:

Walker: The Incredibles, no sequence left unexploded.
Bird: Copyright John Walker 2004!

(or something like that)

Hahaha I love that. I have that easter egg ripped off my DVD ready for my iPhone.

From Nemo (which I think is the funniest commentary):

“The most dangerous creature in the world is the box jellyfish”
“What’s the second most dangerous?”
“Charles Nelson Reilly”

“We didnt want this turning into an after school special”
“Werent you in an after school special Andrew? What was it called?”
“I-I Dont remember”
“Oh I think you do. Wasnt it called Dear Diary?”
“Look for Dear Diary at your local video store today”
“Okay, this will never make it onto the DVD”
“Well in that case BLEEP

Bob being Mr Ray- “Oh Andrew is such a good director. And now I’m gonna rhyme with the word director…And I’ll be your clown”
“What?!”

“Bob what are you doing?”
“just havin some chips”

Andrew: We’d love to say more, but it’s three in the morning and we gotta go work on Toy Story 2.

:laughing: or sot’m like that.

John: Andrew, say something funny.
Andrew: Uh…

Gosh, it’s been a while since I’ve watched a Pixar film with the commentary on! I usually do that after I’ve first purchased the DVD and I’m watching it the second time round, so I guess I haven’t watched some of them in years.

I always remember the discussion a few of the Pixarians (possibly including Andrew Stanton, but I honestly can’t remember) have in the bathroom scene with Randall wetting his fronds, and they’re talking about how they make all of these ‘cool things for characters to do, and then they can’t do them!’ (in reference to Randall’s arms being to short to reach the tap.) Always makes me laugh.

I didn’t realise that the Finding Nemo commentary was so funny, lennonluvr9. Some of the quotes you’ve posted up are hilarious!

Monsters, Inc.: [talking about waiting for one of their kids to cry so they could film as a reference for Boo crying]
Pete Docter: “You don’t have to wait around too long [for them to cry] if you have kids, you know.”
Lee Unkrich: “If you have toddlers…”
Pete Docter: “That’s right. You just wait about 5 - 10 minutes.”
Lee Unkrich: “It’s like waiting for a subway train.”

Pete Docter: “I don’t remember who had the idea of the CDA all in the toilet stalls, but it really cracked us up.”
Lee Unkrich: [laughs] “Yeah… everybody’s gotta go sometime.”

Toy Story 2: John Lasseter: [Talking about Al] It’s amazing how real he looks […] All of the shaders on Al, it just looks incredible, the five o’clock shadow…
Ash Brannon: It freaks us out, too, guys.

“The Incredibles” commentary. Brad Bird’s comments are just like…gold.

Amen to that FounderofAzn. I always get a laugh everytime I hear it.

“I found some chips.” - Bob Peterson, Finding Nemo commentary

… or something like that. That’s the only quote from a Pixar commentary I remember. I need to listen to all of them again. (snigger)

And lennonluvr9 is right: the Finding Nemo commentary is the best one.

Ha! That’s hilarious. :laughing:

Oh yeah, I remember that. :smiley:

– Mitch

I like it in Finding Nemo when they’re doing the introduction of the comentary:

Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich are talking all about the commentary while Bob Paterson (i think that’s his name) is trying to say something. then he interupts Andrew and Lee and says, "Hey how come you guys got a close up and I didn’t? I want one! The camera then zooms in on Bob’s mouth and he starts talking. Andrew and Lee are laughing their heads off and Bob says, “Hey, What’s so funny?”

Thanks! Glad you liked those quotes! Those were the ones that stuck out to me, anyway, I’m sure there’s more. Lol, and I totally wanna find Dear Diary and watch it just to see Andrew!

A few of my favourite quotes from the Toy Story commentary:

John Lasseter: “Why doesn’t [Andy’s] Mom see flashlight coming out of her window?”
Andrew Stanton: [to commentary listeners] “Shhh! Pay no attention to that man.”

(Talking about the shot where Buzz tries to fly out the window)
Andrew Stanton: “I love this shot because it’s like hitting the nail on the head as many times as you can. I wanna fly - ok. Let’s show an open window, a bird flying. […] ‘You are a toy you can’t fly!’ […] Now let’s have an aeroplane go by, let’s have a balloon go past!” [laughs]

(Talking about the Buzz Lightyear doll)
Andrew Stanton: “I remember John saying 'I feel really sorry for the toy company that’s gotta really make this thing.”
Ralph Guggenheim: “And of course you top it off with the most modern of appliances, you put a little laser on it.”
Pete Docter: “It’s not a laser, it’s a little light bulb that blinks.”

John Lasseter: “My credit’s the longest one on the movie. [laughs] It’s one frame longer than yours.”

(After Mr. Potato Head does the sign of the cross)
Pete Docter: “I don’t know if you caught that, but Potato Head is Catholic.”

(At the end of the commentary)
John Lasseter: “Hey Andrew, can I have a ride home?”
Andrew: “Sure John, but you gotta pay the toll.”

At the end of the Toy Story 2 commentary:

“Don’t talk to any toy ya don’t know!”

In the Incredibles, Brad Bird going on about how difficult the computer was making it to put in all the detail. He personified it as HAL 9000 and got the voice down perfectly.
I’m a huge 2001 nerd, so I laughed my head off at that one.

I was surprised by Brad Bird saying in The Incredibles commentary that “The next time someone asks me ‘What’s it like working in the animation genre?’ I’m gonna punch that guy!”. Now there’s a guy who’s deeply passionate about animation.

And when I was listening to the commentary for Up Pete Docter talked about the original name for Russell that they couldn’t use cause Disney was using it for something else, so he and Bob Peterson joked about calling him Donald Duck.

Bran is inherently funny - Bob Peterson, Up commentary

Here comes the big 3D money shoooot! - Bob Peterson

I’m gonna help Kevin! Even if you won’t! BRRRWWWW! - Pete Docter, Bob Peterson

Bob is hilarious!

Someone on the TS2 commentary (I think it was Ash Brannon): “When in doubt, use monkeys.”