Wall-E or Up?

Which of these two films is more emotional?

• Wall-E
  • Up

0 voters

This was something that I’ve been thinking about from watching Up for the first time just after getting into Wall-E. Both films have been the most emotional I had seen lately from Pixar, but for some reason I still feel as though Wall-E has a slight advantage. Not really sure why that is. What do you think?

I personally preferred Wall•e, but I suspect that is because I grew up with science fiction, not the ‘boys own adventure’ style theme that Up evokes. So I rather think that someone born a decade or two before me would find Up more emotional thanks to the added nostalgia value.

Of course Up does have the saddest opening montage in the world, so that scores it lots of emotional points, but Wall•e had the dancing scene so it kinda balances out, my friend and I were actually discussing this, applying (somewhat arbitrary) points values to facets of the two films, only to find that they ended up effectively equal.

In other words this is an extremely difficult choice to make, which is why I have restrained from voting, everytime I go to click one option, something reminds me of the other film enough to sway my vote…

I think WALL•E was better cinematically, but I much more enjoyed pretty much ever other aspect of Up. Both are great films, though.

I’m gonna say Up. WALL-E didn’t strike me as much as Up did.

I have to agree with Bryko. Wall-E was a feat of cinematic enjoyment, but Up was just stunning in terms of storyline, dialouge, and general story development, and it was the first Pixar film to make me truly blubbering :wink:

That said, Pixar always dishes out great movies, and you’re like comparing a grand piano to a saxaphone. They’re both great. (Crap analogy tho, sorry.)

I think Up deals with more emotional themes throughout rather than Wall•E which has a focus more on infatuation and first love. Up has more to do with sharing entire lives together, cherishing moments in life, and moving forward. Wall•E still has very gorgeous themes, but they aren’t addressed as prevalently, and it’s a bit harder to interpret as well.

That being said, Up takes the cake. It resonates very very deeply for me, I just become breathtaken every time. :slight_smile:

Wow, this is actually a pretty difficult decision to make. I have to agree that both Up and Wall-E are one of the most emotionally-resonant films to have come out of the studio in recent memory (if not, for its entire line-up so far), and they’re both jostling for position among my Top Three (Depending on my mood, I keep rearranging the films in my mind).

Both open with one of the most depressing sequences I have ever seen, Wall-E with the destruction of the planet due to overconsumerism and the thought that a sentient robot had been spending centuries on Earth with no one but a cockroach for company. But then Up has an almost Citizen-Kane level of vignettes of life sequence that has to be seen to be experienced, with gentle humour, dramatic pathos, and ending on one of the most heartbreaking scenes of any Pixar movie in existence.

Both end on similarly poignant and touching notes. And in between, the first half is high-adventure and discovery, before hurtling into an all-out action-packed last half spectacle that pits the unlikely and accidental heroes against the menacing, stronger enemy.

Both feature incredible soundtracks from two diverse but equally talented composers. ‘Carl Goes Up’ brings the sense of awe and wonder of embarking on the adventure of a lifetime, while ‘Define Dancing’ just melts your heart with its light and weightless feel of a euphoric dance in Space.

My God, these two would make a great double pack, actually! :smiley: But if I had to pick one, it would be Wall-E, primarily because no one has ever attempted a science-fiction tale of love between two wordless robots (at least, not to my knowledge). Up has inspirations in other films like Howl’s Moving Castle (it’s a known fact Pixarians are fans of Miyazaki’s work) and the underrated classic The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. Some may argue that Wall-E looks like Johnny Five or R2-D2 or whatever, but narrative-wise, I don’t think it has any precedence. Wall-E also has Up’s similar moral of “go out and discover life” with the added message of preserving our planet for future generations (although Up has another one of “learning to let go”). Plus, Wall-E just seems grander and majestic cinematic-wise in terms of scope and scale (although Up has its moments, too). But ultimately, perhaps it’s my bias towards robots and science-fiction that swayed my vote.

But like a lot of people said, it’s tough comparing two disparate movies. Like chocolate and vanilla. They both taste sweet! :slight_smile:

Definitely Wall-E. Maybe it’s just because I’m a sci-fi lover.

I went with Wall-E, probably cuz I just found my Eva so it means a lot more to me now. <3

I’d say both films are very emotional. However, I just have to say WALL•E. Their love story is one of the best I’ve ever seen. In a way, it’s just like a regular, grown-up romance drama or romantic comedy, but without any of the inappropriate content that is put in most romance films today. :wink:

I cannot vote here, this is so hard, I love both films so much and both represent Pixar at their very best in terms of storytelling, visuals and characteristion, they’re wonderful films. I think Up resonates so well because it deals with life, death and old age in a way that is almost very easy to empathise with but on the other end, Wall E is epic, beautiful and very unusual not to mention that you just want to reach into the screen and take the little guy home with you, plus I know that whatever one I vote for, I’ll regret not voting for the other.

Ditto absolutely everything TDIT said. He took the words completely out of my mouth and could not have expressed my own viewpoint on this subject more accurately.

With that being said, I choose WALL•E. <3

little chef

I like WALL-E better, but that wasnt the question. I would have to say I found Up to be more emotional, only because I found it quite sad at times. Not to say I didnt feel anything while watching WALL-E, but Up was moreso for me.

Like little chef, I agree with everything that thedriveintheatre said. I did really enjoy Up and its emotional side, but I just connected better with the characters in WALL-E and felt that the emotion was perhaps more raw. I know Up has that beautiful, sad montage at the beginning, and I love how that deals with a lot of issues, but I still feel that WALL-E goes right to the basis of love and dealing with priorities to do with love.

The two films do make a great pair, definitely, and it’s a close one, but WALL-E really does it for me.

Well thats hard to choose, both films were striking in the emotional part. But for some odd reason I was more attached to Wall-E. They were robots! And I cared for them! INSANE! :stuck_out_tongue:

They’re both incredibly emotional films, so it’s hard to say. I’ll say Wall-e for now, since I think that has had a bigger impact on me.

However, that could easily change upon a re-watch of Up…my opinion of films does tend to change with repeat viewings.

Even though I adore both films, I have to go with Up. Mostly because Up could somehow be happening right now, and WALL-E is in the future… and most future-based films… scare me. D:

I dunno, WALL-E is a beautiful film but it didn’t speak to me as much as Up did. Also, I didn’t cry at WALL-E. (sorry! D: )

I think they have different emotional qualities. I know that sounds like a cop out, but I really mean it. They stir up different things for me.