Ideas for future Pixar films

I’m fairly certain nothing like this has ever been created, so let’s get this ball rolling, shall we?

While browsing through Steve Purcell’s Wikipedia page, I noticed one statement that caught my eye. For those who don’t already know, Purcell is most widely known as the creator of Sam & Max, an independent comic book series about a pair of anthropomorphic animal vigilantes and private investigators. The series went on to be adapted as an animated TV series, and a series of video games, but not as a feature film. Here’s the statement:

“Purcell is not considering the possibility of Pixar adapting Sam & Max into a film, as the characters’ moral ambiguity is inconsistent with traditional Pixar stories.”

Now, I think there is something to be said about the “inconsistent with traditional Pixar stories” bit. Sure, the overall premise of the series seems odd for Pixar, but when you think about it, Pixar wants to break out of the mold, and try something new with every film they make. They’ve been around long enough to have a reputation, especially in story, and I think if they can find a way to make it work, a Sam & Max film would be interesting.

Do you have any ideas for future Pixar films? Tell all here.

I think there’s already a thread on ‘movies you would like Pixar to do’, but I’ll leave it up to the mods to decide. I suppose we can post some original ideas here and adaptation ideas in the other thread.

I really want to get my hands on the S&M (ooh… that abbreviation sounds so naughty) show and comics. It’s disappointing that Pixar has to take the ‘Christian-conservative-good-values’ route (I have nothing against Christianity. It’s just a well-known fact that there are Christian subtexts in Pixar films like Finding Nemo and WALL-E. If you don’t believe me, I can write it out in a separate thread. :wink:)

It sounds like ‘American Dog-Chris Sanders’ all over again. It’s my biggest gripe with American animation, they don’t have guts and tend to stick to morally righteous, safe-messages stories. While other countries are producing fringe-pushing masterpieces like Akira or The Triplets of Belleville, the States holds on to the well-tread route of ‘talking animals’ and ‘megalomaniacal supervillains’. Of course, Pixar (and to a certain extent, DreamWorks) are slowly breaking the mould, but it’s slow and far too late.

As long as you know the difference between ‘good’ and ‘evil’, and institute a strong moral compass in your kid, I don’t think there’s a problem with rooting for morally-questionable protagonists. Not everybody who plays GTA or watches Death Wish becomes a psychopath. Besides, anti-heroes are way more entertaining.

Sorry about the gripe, but I’m really annoyed with this conservative stance. Maybe I should’ve posted this in the ‘What Grinds Your Gears?’ thread. Well, too late now.

As for what I want Pixar to make next, I have mentioned in the previous thread that Bone would be the perfect adaptation for them to work on. It’s LOTR with a touch of Walt Kelly.

Tintin wouldn’t be too bad, and I would love them to do an espionage flick down the road, since they’ve proven that with The Incredibles. And I’d really love to see a 2-D film (not sure if The Bear and the Bow counts, so please correct me).

Yeah, thedriveintheatre is right, we did have a thread on the same topic as this but I think it’s been moved into the Archives as I can’t find it anywhere. Plus it’s an interesting topic so there’s no harm in having another one.

I haven’t heard of Sam & Max before, Bill, but it does sound like an interesting concept.

I’ve always liked the idea of an ancient history based Pixar film (though I know there’s been a lot of those about lately), mainly because I love ancient history but also because I think Pixar could handle something like that really well and perhaps even with a different perspective.

Oh, and I agree with you, thedriveintheatre. Anti-heroes are the best! And morally-questionable protagonists are the best protagonists. I most certainly don’t want my child to know the difference between ‘good’ and ‘evil’ though, namely because the two states can’t exist independently, and that’s where a lot of films aimed at children have gone wrong in the past, creating this barrier between the two that doesn’t exist in real-life. You’re right that Pixar is starting to change this trend, though.

A little OT, but ah well, it’s still sort of on the point - I want Pixar to create films in the future that blurs the line between ‘good’ and ‘evil’ even more so than they’ve already done.

Somebody else suggested this in the other thread, but I thought it best be brought up again, as I like the idea - Pixar adapting the Redwall series by Brian Jacques.

I remember watching the PBS children’s animated show when I was a kid (my introduction to Redwall), and it inspired me to want to read the first novel. That was so long ago, and I haven’t bothered to read any of the others in the series; I might have to re-read the original again just because I have no memory of it.

A Redwall film was supposedly in production at a Washington-based studio for release in July 2011, but the official website just redirected to an email address. I’ve heard nothing of it since, and don’t know if it is still happening.

What do you think? Good idea?

I’ve heard of Redwall, tried to read it, but didn’t finish. I liked it, it was pretty cool. Though I didn’t like the fact how all my favourite species were bad guys (well, except badgers)!

I’d love to see Pixar make another original movie - those are the ones I enjoy best, personally. Something about dinosaurs, perhaps? Carnivores, when we’re at it? Forget those cutesy herbivores, it’s about time that the carnivores get portrayed as noble animals! I personally really like the Deinonychus Antirrhopus, a raptor from the Cretaceous… but alas, I’m rambling.

Or perhaps a Bone (comic by Jeff Smith) movie, but that’s already being made…

I would rather see Pixar stay with original stories rather than adaptations. A couple of things I’d love to see them tackle:

A genuine, full-scale, old-fashioned musical, with romance and comedy and big production numbers (with their talent for big action set pieces, I really, really want to see Pixar tackle a big musical production number someday). I would love a '30s-style period setting, and need I add that I’d love for Mr. Giacchino to do the score? His “Spirit of Adventure” song, and the 1930s opening sequence of Up, make me think that Pixar could do something really fun in this vein.

A story set in Dickensian London with thrills and suspense. It would be set in the “real”/human world, but wouldn’t necessarily need human leads (although maybe it could use a human/animal pair of leads, in the same vein as the pairing of Linguini and Remy).

I really think that Pixar should do a remake of The Brave Little Toaster, from 1988. I absolutely love this movie, although it did kind of scare me when I was a kid. It would be a piece of cake for them to animate normally inanimate household appliances, and I’m sure Pixar could find someway to make them appear cute and lovable.

I do think that the tone of the original movie might possibly be a little too dark and unsettling for Pixar, but, hey, isn’t that what Pixar is about in the first place? They experiment with ideas that don’t sound like they will work at first, but then they become instant classics!

I’m not too sure if they will do this or not, especially considering that many people from Pixar (like Lasseter) were involved in the original film, but I sure would love to see a Pixar adaptation of The Brave Little Toaster!

I’ve never seen The Brave Little Toaster, but it looks cute. I doubt that, though, since Pixar likes things that haven’t been done before.

Genre-wise, I’d like to see a western, or horror/thriller from them.
Too bad that they’ll never do them, though, since they’re not really family-friendly.

I’d like to see them do something more experimental, story-wise and theme wise.

OH, OH! They should do something Steampunk! That’s be awesome! :smiley:

I’d love to see a PG-13 (hey, Disney let Pirates of the Caribbean do it) adaptation of my favorite musical, Little Shop of Horrors.

I’m hoping someday to become a CGI animator, work my way up at Pixar, and direct this baby.

And you know who I’d cast as Audrey II?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phill_Lewis

I want to post some ideas, but I’m afraid somebody might steal them.

OH, MY GOD…Pixar + Sam & Max would be SO AMAZING! I’m a HUGE Sam & Max fan. That will now never leave my head. :smiley: Make it happen, Pixar!

I don’t know of S&M. Could you hook me up with a link?

IncredigirlVirginia: Here are some clips from the games and TV show:

Trailer for the newest game (which is awesome):
youtube.com/watch?v=L4Lw312RrXk

War song from the first game:
youtube.com/watch?v=5L2Gve7oh_4

Sitcom parody from the first game:
youtube.com/watch?v=CiJ7YQmkpUA

Clip from the show:
youtube.com/watch?v=KjeLWJ8WHLY

The comics are the funniest, IMO, but I can’t show you them, obviously.

The show is more kid-oriented than the comics and games, but still have a similar sense of humor, so if Pixar ever made a movie on S&M it would probably be most like that.

Wow! That is neat. :smiley:

I have a great idea for a movie. I am not a writer. I’m an insurance broker. But, I think this is a great idea as it came to me in a dream.

It’s called a Bass Named Joe.

It starts with me at a Bass Pro Shop, and I’m buying the latest sure to catch a bass fishing lure, and fishing rods for my son and daughter. My son goes fishing, and he catches a whopper of a 7lb small mouth bass with this fancy new lure. A lady who is running the local fishing tournament assures him he has won. But, something about the eyes of the fish tells him to let it go - which he does. So, he lets the fish go, but the fish keeps coming back looking at my son. Then, the fish sticks his head above the water and speaks to him.

He tells him that his name is Joe, and that he is 76 years old. He is the biggest bass in the lake, and many fisherman have tried to catch him over the years and failed. Some came close and even got him in the boat, but he was always able to jump of the hook and get away. He asks my son about his new fancy lure, and where he got it. He really though it was a frog, and that’s why he took the bait. He tells the boy that the reason he has never been caught before was that he was not always a fish. He used to be a fisherman.

He was the best fisherman ever actually. And, he was the best sportsman. He knew how to catch a bass everytime when all the other fisherman failed. He always got the big one whether it was morning, noon, or night. And he was always a good sportsman. He only kept the right size fish for eating, and he only kept the fish he needed for food. He loved to fish, and always treated the fish he caught with respect for the beutiful creatures they were. He always let them go carefully unless he needed food. He really was the best fisherman ever. Then he got very old and died.

Then, he opened his eyes and he was in the water. Was he in heaven? No, he was a fish. He was reincarnated as a fish. He was reincarnated as a fish but not just a fish - a small mouth bass. That was his favourite kind of fish to catch when he was a fisherman.

The story goes on to say that not only was he a fish, but he was a very smart fish. You see, as a fisherman he knew every trick in the book to catch a small mouth bass. Now, as a small mouth bass, he knew every trick in the book not to get caught. So, here he was, a 76 year old small mouth bass. Actually he was a legend. Many fisherman have tried to catch him and failed. One fisherman has seen him so many times, and had him on a hook a few times, and even once almost had him in the boat. He nicknamed him Joe. And so the legend of Joe the small mouth bass grew over the years. A monster bass that no one could catch until my son showed up with a new bass lure from Bass Pro Shop and got him.

It could be a wonderful story for people to enjoy about the thought of coming back to life as something different, and in this case a great fisherman who comes back as a bass. There could be a wonderful stories of Joe’s underwater friends - a pike, a muskie, a perch, a sunfish. The friends could share stories of how they outsmarted fisherman over the years, and how they tricked the fisherman and got away. There could be some sad stories of those who got caught.

In the end Joe is 76 years old and not as sharp as he used to be. Imagine, Joe the bass, the smartest and legendary Joe the monster bass getting caught by and 11 year old boy with a fancy lure from Bass Pro Shop.

I’m sure the folks at Bass Pro Shop would love it. Bass fishing is huge these days and the movie would be a sure hit.

This idea came to me as a dream. I’ve never done anything like this before but I just new this would be a winner so I thought I had to send it to you.

Regards,

Rick Sheridan
rsdj@rogers.com

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG. /endcaps

if they did a story set in the 30’s or somewhere around that time, just. i think i would die happy, guys. asdfghjkl; i don’t even. and YES. GIACCHINO FOREVER.

i definitely wouldn’t mind another human/animal pair, either. i love love love those.

I would kill to see a Pixar movie about trees. There are so many good stories in books about trees…like one where a tree is in love with a little girl, and another where a tree wants to get its revenge on a boy who tried to cut it down six years before. There’s also the Christmas short, Christopher the Christmas Tree. I want to see Pixar do something with trees so badly…

Also, a Pixar film about unicorns would be nice. But I want the one about trees more.

This is a very interesting thought! It sounds difficult to do, since trees have limited mobility. On the other hand, they come in all sort of shapes, colors, and sizes. Think of the diversity! Saying a movie about trees is a silly idea, is just as like saying a movie about toys or cars is silly. Pixar could make an interesting movie out of trees I think, as long as they have story in mind!

I want Pixar to do something with a Mountain Lion. I’m a bit biased, mountain lions are my favorite animals! :smiley:

e-j-e: I’m all for a film about mountain lions! Or mountain gorillas!
Or spiders! I’d adore a film about spiders! If people can put up with bugs then why not? :smiley: