Top 5 Disturbing Pixar Moments

After i heard that Toy Story 3 had some disturbing scenes, I’ve decided to countdown the most disturbing scenes in all of Pixar history.

Here it is:

THE TOP 5 DISTURBING PIXAR MOMENTS

5-Darla (Finding Nemo)-I haven’t seen Finding Nemo in a long time after its theatrical release back on opening day. But when I first saw it, the sight of Darla creeped me out, not to mention the abuse of the fish.

4-Seeing a Dead Super’s Skeleton (The Incredibles)-This is a reason why The Incredibles was rated PG (aside from the action violence), where Mr.Incredible/Bob had to hide from Syndrome, he dove into the water to check out the hidden cavern. He also saw the skeleton of a dead Super as a shock and hid behind it! After 1st seeing it on opening weekend, that scene was the most morbid of them all.

3-Dead Rats Hanging (Ratatouille)-This was my 1st pixar film I saw without anyone with me at the time. However, Ratatouille had one disturbing scene. In the scene where Remy’s father showed him that humans can’t be trusted, they saw a storefront window that has dead rats and mice hanging by the tails. That scene was morbid and disturbing at the same time.

2-Statue In Your Face (Cars)- The chase between Lightning McQueen and the Sheriff had some funny moments, but it also had a disturbing one. Where Lightning was tangled, he ended up ripping the statue of Stanley off its stand, then it landed on him, creeping Lightning! That scene was creepy and funny at the same time!

And The #1 Most Disturbing Pixar Moment goes to…

…1-Severed Arms, Mutant Toys and Such (Toy Story 1 and 2)-The 1st two TS flicks were charming and awesome, but they had scenes that were quite disturbing at the time of their releases. One disturbing scene involves the first time we see Sid’s mutant toys, they creeped me out the 1st time I saw TS 1. Another creepy moment is where Buzz loses his arm, and his sanity as Mrs. Nessbet! Later on, Buzz threw Woody his broken arm, and Woody had to use it until Mr. Potato Head asked him what was he trying to pull, and Woody said, “Nothing”, with Buzz’s Severed Arm! That was freaky! Not to mention, Woody and the mutant toys scaring the living daylights out of Sid, that was very disturbing as well, especially Woody’s “Exorcist” moment with the head spin!

TS 2 had its fair share of disturbing moments. The opening where Zurg fried (video game) Buzz was kinda creepy. The nightmare scene was very disturbing! All those broken toy arms and such grabbing Woody, that could scare someone at the time (if it was ever used in the 1st one in the first place, wich cockroaches and all, it would been SUPER disturbing!) And in the airport scene where Prospector met his fate, that decorated Barbie spooked me a little bit as well!

Well, that’s my top 5 Most Disturbing Pixar Moments, what are yours?

Is it REALLY a contest? There was only one scene that kept me up nearly all night. And it’s a DELETED scene.

WALL-E: The original version of the Directive A113 tape. The entire thing is REALLY dark, but what really clinches it is how the tape ends. As “2815 A.D.” plays in the background, Shelby Forthwright, with what is probably his last breath, shouts in a paniced voice “I WANNA LIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!” Then the tape cuts off.

That is the single darkest, most disturbing moment in the history of childrens cinema…and possibly all cinema. I’m so glad they removed it. Plus, if the air on Earth has become deadly, how do the humans survive when they return?

Not really, just an observation and for fun.

I might do a proper Top 5 list later (once I’ve actually seen Toy Story 3, which I hear is pretty intense), but for now I’ll just cite the one scene which always comes to mind whenever I hear the words “disturbing” and “Pixar” together - Hopper’s demise in A Bug’s Life.

Now, I admit that it’s been years since I’ve seen A Bug’s Life, so I might feel differently if I watched it today, but there was something about the angles and those monstrous baby birds with their bobbing heads and opening beaks which made me feel physically ill. Hopper may not do a lot to elicit sympathy throughout the film, but seeing him cut down from his position of high power to one of such nightmarish helplessness, I found it impossible not to pity him in those final moments. They show up him for what he really was all along - that is, but a puny little grasshopper - and the resulting sensation is not pretty.

In fact, I think the BL birds in general creep me out. I also hated the weird facial contortions the apparently animatronic one makes during the outtakes. Hitchcock has nothing to teach A Bug’s Life. :shake:

I’ll probably do a proper “Top 5 Disturbing Scenes” myself later, but by FAR, without any doubt or anything close to it, most disturbing Pixar scene for me is the scene in Monsters, Inc. in which a gleeful Mike and Sulley decide to become Randall’s judges, jury and executioners and “banish” him to that occupied trailer in the Louisiana bayou, while he’s pleading with them in terror for them not to, and they are just treating it as a joke. With Mike, given his dislike of Randall, I could almost have seen it coming if he ever got the chance to eliminate that “creep” and his competition, but with Sulley such deliberate cruelty seemed completely out-of-character, a very grim and dark side that he wasn’t supposed to have. That pretty much ties with the scene that followed, in which Randall is attacked and beaten by the redneck woman with the shovel, not just because I’ve seen first-hand the carnage a shovel can wreak upon flesh and bone, but knowing WHERE this was, and knowing that to the people in the trailer, Randall was no different from a pig to be slaughtered, butchered and eaten. If it had been somewhere else, where they would have simply seen him as a threat and would have just wanted him out of the “house”, it would not have been so bad, but the instant I heard that kid’s unmistakable Cajun accent and saw the cypress trees and cattails and realized WHERE this trailer was located, and I knew what folks in that part of the world do with “'gators”, it just sent chills up my spine. I know a lot of people found that scene very funny, mainly because of their deep hatred for that character, but that was just totally uncalled for and completely unfair, not only from the fact of what we’re supposed to believe happend to Randall, but because it really portrays Sulley as a cold-hearted, unrepentent and indeed joyful killer who is so willing to take the law into his own hands to exact revenge on those who have wronged him.

pitbulllady

I pretty much agree with your list there, Ecto-1A, though Darla never seemed that scary to me and the Toy Story stuff doesn’t seem creepy at the time, but only after you’ve thought about it for a bit.

I also agree with pitbulllady, seeing Randall get banished always freaked me out when I was younger, and I don’t much enjoy watching it even now.

Thinking about the entire concept of WALL-E is actually pretty freaky. The opening is so desolate and the atmosphere is very tense, so it’s thankful that the characters are so lovely and appearling.

Sorry, but how many threads has that exact same Randall rant appeared in now? I think by this stage most people would know your position on that scene about without you having to include the full rant, pitbulllady. Just a suggestion.

Really? I’m the only one freaked out by that deleted WALL-E scene?

I’m guessing Pitbulllady just wants to make her position clear I guess shrugs Afterall some people are either still unaware or just wave their hands at it.
looks around What? Just softening.

The question was asked, and I answered it, as honestly and succintly as possible.

No one forces you to read anyone else’s posts.

pitbulllady

No, no one forces me, but as a Sulley fan I do get kind of annoyed by the number of threads in the Monsters, Inc forum and beyond which get hijacked by the exact same rant about how awful he was and how innocent Randall was, and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

I’m not trying to start an argument, nor veer this thread off-topic, just give you some honest advice. When you belabour your point, you can often end up doing it more harm than good.

AHEM! Back to the present, folks.

1. For some reason, I want to say Hopper’s demise, but at the same time I don’t, considering how JL and crew wanted the baby birds to be as adorable as they possibly could. I guess it’s the part of Hopper freaking out that disturbs me. But I can’t help but babble “Who’s gonna eat the mean little grasshopper villain? Who’s gonna?”
  2. The entire scene of Remy’s father showing him the bait shop.
  3. Sully scaring Boo in the Test room. Mostly because I felt so bad for Boo…I kinda wanted to run after her and hug her…
  4. Syndrome’s demise. Only one word describes it. Eeeww :open_mouth: . I really feel sorry for him, though.
  5. Wall-E stopping the…uh…thing (what was it again?) with his foot and furthering his damage…progressed by EVE’s “Nooo!” I did that too XD .

Oh really? I always assumed that they wanted the baby birds to look monstrous, to reflect things from the bugs’ perspective, but maybe it’s just me who saw them that way. :stuck_out_tongue:

And maybe it was just you. On the BL visual commentary, during that scene, JL and two others (I don’t remember who) were talking about the irony of Hopper’s elimination and “how many villains get eaten by their worst fear’s offspring? Very few”. They wanted to INCREASE the irony by the perpetual CUTENESS they wanted for the little birds.

Ah, I see, I haven’t watched the film with the commentary. Maybe it’s exactly that irony which made the scene all the more freaky to me.

I’ll do a proper Top 5 List later, but the scariest moment in Pixar for me would definitely be the appearance of Sid’s mutant toys in Toy Story. I was very young when I first saw the scene, and I had nightmares about them for ages. Even after it was revealed that the toys were good, I was still terrified of them (Baby Face creeped me out the most).

I didn’t notice how gruesome Syndrome’s death was until way after I’d finished watching the movie. I guess his death just seemed so sudden that I didn’t realize the full implications what happened.

Another Pixar moment which always disturbs me is Combat Carl’s death in the original Toy Story. We never actually see Carl in his “alive” mode as we do the other toys, but I find it horrific to think that he was consciously aware of everything the whole time, and yet obligated to just stand there and take it. :open_mouth:

I liked Syndrome’s death. It was ironic, well deserved, and I think perfect. Why is everyone defending Randall? He was the villain. The villain is supposed to die(except for Meet the Robinsons and other inspired works.) He’s the villain, that movie has been out since 2001, and I don’t see what the fuss is about. I found it frightening when Darla tapped on the dentist’s tank :cry:

But of course, the villain can also change his ways and become a good guy in the end. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, I think most villains that die in Pixar movies come to their end rather gruesomely. D: Not that I mind though. Nothing wrong with a good bit of family-unfriendly deaths.

That was pretty freaky, but for some reason I laugh at the same time.
“TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE STAR!”
“Find a happy place! Find a happy place FIND A HAPPY PLACE!”

Aww, yeah, Bowler Hat Guy :frowning: . He ended up being so lovable…especially since he’s Goob. I like to think that once Lewis changed the future, he became a very famous baseball player =3