Ever changed your mind about a Pixar film?

The title pretty much says it all, has there ever been a time when you changed your mind about a Pixar film before? Be it for better or worse?

Also, please note that the first chunk of what I’m going to say is an opinion of mine of old, I’m just describing it in such detail to give an idea of how rapidly my opinion on said film changed, and any withstanding opinions are just that, opinions, so if you disagree with anything I have to say, please try to be polite and civil about it. Anyways…

The main one for me would have to be Wall E. I’m going to admit it, the first time I saw it, I had a very cold reaction to it, and that’s putting it lightly. For some reason I didn’t buy the whole Wall E and Eve relationship, and I found many of the underlying political messages to be a tad preachy and in your face, the one that especially bugged me was the anti mass consumerism, considering the film was distributed by a studio such as Disney, and I have to admit the lack of dialogue on the part of the two main protagonists caught me off guard when I watched it in the cinema for the first time back in 2008. I usually don’t mind it when films don’t have an abundance of dialogue, but with this film didn’t click with me the first time around for some reason.

I felt bad for having such a cold reaction to it though, it wasn’t like Cars where the general consensus was that it was inferior to Pixar’s other works, I really felt like I was missing out on a great film as many loved it in the same way I did Up when I watched it upon its UK release in late 2009. It made me feel bad for listing it as my second least favourite Pixar film, and I don’t usually let the opinions of the majority make me even moderately question my stance on something, but I did with Wall E for whatever reason.

Well, earlier this year I started collecting Disney blu rays, as well as Pixar ones, and eventually I had every Pixar film that had been released in the UK besides Wall E and Cars, and despite my ill feelings toward the two films I wanted to buy them to give them both second chances, and also fill the gap that was in my collection at the time. Unfortunately my opinion on Cars didn’t change at all, Wall E however…ooh god, I fell in love in with it!

I noticed how much Wall E and Eve actually managed to say to both each other and the audience without uttering a single world, outside of each other’s and their own names or the odd noise now and again. It was a marvel to behold, it really was, and this alone made me enjoy the film so much more than I did the first time around as it felt like a completely different film. I guess in the 2 years since watching it I wasn’t surprised by the political undertones of the film, and the stuff I missed stuck out to me like crazy upon re-watching it. I got so much more involved in Wall E and Eve’s journey, and found myself on the verge of tears towards the end of the film.

I have to admit, the mass consumerism did still kind of bug me, but not to the extent it had the first time around.

It went from being my second least favourite Pixar film to my 3rd favourite, behind Up in 1st and the Toy Story Trilogy in 2nd (each one of those films slightly better than the last) it was quite surreal for me to say the least.

I suppose I could also say Monsters Inc, though to a much lesser extent, I just remember thinking it was “Meh” when I was younger, but I re-watched it on blu ray earlier this year and while it is still lower down on my list of Pixar films, I came to love it to bits regardless upon re-watching it.

So yeah, any Pixar films you’ve changed your mind on, be it for better or worse? ^^ Lemme know, I’d be curious to read about some of yours!

The first time I saw The Incredibles in theaters, it didn’t really make an impression on me. I liked it, sure, but I didn’t think it was amazing or anything. Eventually my dad bought it, and I watched it again with my little sister. I just loved it, for some reason, and now it’s one of my favorite movies ever. I’m not sure why I didn’t take to it the first time.

On the other hand, I used to love A Bug’s Life when I was little. Don’t get me wrong, I still do, just not as much as I used to. Maybe it’s because I watched it so many times when I was little.

My opinion on A Bug’s Life has remained pretty much consistent since I first watched it in the cinema as a kid, I liked it a good deal, but I never loved it, which still holds true for me to this day.

The Incredibles however I’ve loved since the first time I watched it :slight_smile:

Well, in middle school I didn’t like any Pixar film, soley based on the fact that they were CGI.

But then I grew out of that silly phase and realized that story and character is more important than if the film is hand or computer drawn.

I never really had a phase like that, to be honest, as I was very young when the first Toy Story came out, and the whole CGI craze that hit when Toy Story came out passed me by, to me it was just another good Disney movie back then ^^ (didn’t know about Pixar at that age)

I highly anticipated Ratatouille and loved it the first time I watched it, but then after that it sort of went downhill for me. The more times I saw it, the more things I realised I didn’t like about it, and now I only watch it on very rare occassions. There are still aspects of the film I can appreciate and enjoy, but as a whole it has become my least favourite Pixar film.

Finding Nemo. When I first saw it, I wasn’t a really big fan. It used to be my least favourite Pixar film at first. However, I’ve grown to like it more recently. My least favourite is now Cars.

A Bug’s Life. I absolutely hated it, because when it used to be on TV a lot, I would always try to watch it, but it would always be at the scene with Hopper after he and his gang had got into the anthill and now he was lecturing the ants about food, and I always had to go to bed once Filk leaves for the city. So then, after I became a Pixar fan, I found it at a DVD rental store. So I tried it out, and I thought “Hey, that was pretty good!” :laughing: And I still love it to this day.

Ratatouille. I was bored to tears when I first saw it but it is now one of my all time favorite movies and my favorite Pixar movie behind Toy Story.

At fist I didn’t know how to react to Wall-E. I felt kind of numb towards it. Now I think it is Pixar’s finest achievement, though it isn’t in my top 5 favorites.

I don’t know if this counts. But When I was in theaters watching Ratatouille and the trailer for WALL-E came on the screen, I was so dissapointed!

Reason? Back then (and still now actually) Robots were one of my fears. I’ve always beeen afraid of robots taking over the world! (sounds silly, I know)

Anyway, I was just very disinterested, and when I saw the movie, I loved it! (even if it was about robots)

I’ve had a lot of these.

Toy Story 3 suffered after a re-view and some serious thought. It’s really disappointing, since I’m addicted to Toy Story 2.

Finding Nemo benefited. I really like it now, even if I still hate Nemo as a person(fish).

Everything that you said, Leon. I remember being disappointed with WALL-E, and even though back then I wasn’t a Pixar fangirl (in fact, I didn’t really know anything about Pixar back then), I realized that “hey, wasn’t this studio good?” And rewatching it six months later, I fell in love with it. The music, the characters, the beautiful scenes. Everything. I’d have to say it’s now one of my favorite Pixar films.

Aw, it’s kind of awesome how you guys totally changed your minds about Wall-E. :smiley:

:smiley: Yeah, I’m not really sure why I didn’t like it now that I think about it. How could you not love Wall-E?

A lot of fans may bash me for this, but when I saw The Incredibles, it was a little boring for me. However, a few recent re-watchings on Disney Channel and ABC Family made me realize that it was actually more exciting that when I first saw it (I didn’t see it in theaters; we borrowed it from a friend).

I guess what made it boring for me were the scenes in the office and when Violet and Dash argued, but I got over it.

I don’t care for the Dash/Violet arguing, either. I knew I was massively obsessed the first time I saw it, at my grandmother’s house. I can see why you find those scenes boring, though. Personally, I don’t care for a lot of the scenes that focus on Dash and Violet.

Evangeline, I don’t know how anyone could dislike Wall-E! A bunch of stupid kids at my school say it’s boring, though. :unamused:

My dad thinks WALL-E is boring. :unamused:

Aw, maybe he’s boring(no offense to you)!!

P.S. I love your new Cars signature!! :laughing:

It’s perfectly fine, Virginia. :wink: He just said, “I don’t know what’s so entertaining about a robot cleaning up Earth for 3 hours!” Even though he was only cleaning up for about half an hour of the movie. :stuck_out_tongue:
And thanks!