Which movie is the most grown-up (plotwise)

i know some Pixar movies have a more grown-up feeling. I think that Toy Story 3 is most grown-up(plotwise). it dealt with Andy growing up and the toys worrying about their future. Then there was the Sunnyside situation and etc. That’s why TS3 seems to be different than Toy Story and Toy Story 2.

Ratatouille IMHO is the most grown-up of the Pixar canon. It had a very complex plot as opposed to the average Pixar movie (the B-plot of Linguini in particular, would fly over the heads of most of the kids).

It dealt with very heavy themes like workplace discrimination (Colette), racism (here veiled in the form of speciesism against Remy), out-of-wedlock inheritances, and artistic integrity (Linguini basically claimed credit for all of Remy’s work until the final revelation).

There are intense sequences, most of them involving Remy. The ‘rat bait’ store is a chillingly-dramatic scene on the level of the ‘Kratos’ list from Incredibles and Muntz’ revelation from Up.

And it was the most critical of contemporary society of any Pixar film (besides Wall-E). It basically tore at the indestructibility of film critics and spoke of the inherent value of a work of art.

TS3 was a little like TS2, except while the latter dealt with abandonment issues before Andy grew up, the former dealt with abandonment issues after Andy grew up. In all three films from the trilogy, Woody is the protagonist who has to go through the most change, and most of it deals with his insecurities about Andy.

But TS3 is one of the most grown-up, probably up there with Wall-E and Up. It’s just that Ratatouille, with its extraordinary length, intricate plot, and matured themes, is the most grown-up to me.

Ratatouille is pretty grown up, but IMO I think Wall-E is the most so. Like Ratatouille, 50% of the message will fly right over your average 6 year olds head. They won’t really get that Earth is a post-apocalyptic graveyard, or what the plant is really supossed to symbolise, nor will they see that the “rogue robots” are actually the robots with the personalities, something that to the antagonists is a malfuction. And is there really an antagonist in Wall-E? Really?

But I do agree that Ratatouille has the most original and complex plot for a (supossedly) kids film. In general, all of the films Cars onwards have been very complex and metaphorical in comparison to earlier Pixar films (although they all had dark parts). :slight_smile:

I’d say Up is the most grown-up. Talking dogs in airplanes look a little childish, but their presence just lightens the movie for children, which is quite serious without them. Really, in most films we see the protagonist gaining his love during the action, but here the actual plot starts after the main character met the one he loved, lived all the life with her and then lost her. Not the happiest start for children, I think. And the movie deals with themes like priorities in life, day-to-day problems that prevent from fulfiling the main dream, losing the people you love, disappointment in idols of the whole life, the meaning of life and happiness themselves, not to mention broken families in Russel’s case. In addition, I can say that Up got my mom much more than any Pixar film.
I think Toy Story 3 comes close as one of the most grown-up, partially because the problem in this film is so common and true that a lot of viewers can see themselves in Andy and think about people they left on their course of life.

Wall-E or Up for me. Hard to straight-up choose, though.

I’d have to say Ratatouille. I’ve only seen it once, but I cannot think of it as a kids movie. Even if the movies that came after had darker and more adult themes in them, they were all balanced out by lots of humorous characters and general hilarity. But I can’t imagine a little kid saying that Ratatouille is his/her favorite film, it just doesn’t seem to have the kid-appeal that a movie about toy or robots has. Not sure if I’m getting my point across, but as much as I loved it, I can’t imagine small children appreciating it the same way.

I guess this also has to do with it being (in my opinion) the least marketable/merchandise-able of the Pixar films.

I agree with you, Reaper. Despite being originally marketed as a comedy, it’s actually a pretty serious movie. But you’ve only seen it once? :open_mouth: Get the DVD. Now. 8D

The problem was, the movie came out when my friends were all doing that whole “too old for animation thing”. They’ve gotten over it since we saw TS3 at midnight, but I didn’t get to see Ratatouille until recently. I’m gonna give it more time before I see it again, so I can forget some of the details. Great film though.

Oh, that makes sense. :smiley:

I think Wall E, alot of it seems about morals, with the economy and everything.
Although I think Toy Story 2 is, without question the most clever Pixar movie.

I’m pretty sure that Wall-E has nothing to do with the economy.

For me Up, Wall-E, or Toy Story 3. Pretty much all their latest stuff :smiley: Up dealt with the whole growing old thing, and losing a loved one but learning to move on. That’s some pretty intense stuff. And Wall-E was grown up in it’s own way. When I think about it it gives me chills. And I don’t even need to say anything about Toy Story 3. I’ve never cried harder at the movies. The last half hour was unbearable to watch but I loved every minute. Anyways, I think they’re all grown up in their own way.

Up is a good one. I know a few of my friends parents who really related to the scene of Ellie’s death. Because they are older they have more expirience with loved ones dying, and that scene touches them.

Ratatouille and Incredibles haave adult themes as well.

Eco-system was meant*
I got mixed up.

With the eventual otucome of the world from human’s mistakes etc.

I’d say definitely Ratatouille, for a number of reasons already mentioned (I particularly agree with the points TDIT made). Even with the underlying adult themes of Wall-E and Up, I thought the basic core plots/characters were things little kids could at least partly get. Right from the first time I saw it, I thought that a kid would have to be old enough to be reading chapter books to get anything out of Ratatouille - I think it is much more complicated in plots and character motivations than the average Pixar film. (Incredibles is somewhat the same, but has the superhero action to engage younger kids.) I’m still a little surprised that I never heard complaints from “parents groups,” etc. about having the whole Linguini/Gusteau plot in a G-rated “family film.”

I’m going to say that Up addresses more adult themes than any other Pixar release so far. I doubt Cars 2, Brave, or Monsters, Inc. 2 will come close to rivaling it either. Because of this (and many other reasons), Up remains timeless.

1.Ratatouille
2.UP
3.Incredibles

to me those are the most grown-up pixar films.

I like to think Wall-E is pretty up there as well.

WALL-E.

It’s just…a very complex movie. It’s the Inception of kids movies.

(I haven’t seen Inception, but I’ve heard how complex it is.)

I’d see it before you use it as an example.