Worldwide Release Dates

Sorry if theres a topic like this, if so, lock it up.

But, yeah. This isn’t a rant really; more of a reasoned debate, or discussion, if you like. I simply do not understand why there has to be a huuuge gap between US release dates and worldwide ones, well, specifically British ones but I’m sure it’s not just us.

Like, UP came out in May in the US, and September in the UK. Thats not a few weeks, or a month, which is how long we’d usually wait-thats an entire season. With a lot of big British releases, like the Harry Potter or James Bond films, US dates are usually similar or even the same. I understand that the US owns most of the companies but even so. It’s a pain aswell because by the time the film is released, the entire sypnosis is all over the net-not that you have to read it, obviously, but hey, I love spoilers.

I just wondered whether anybody shared the same frustrations, or whether anybody knew the reasoning for it, or I dunno really, just needed itoff my chest :slight_smile:.

Sorry if i come across as rude or something. :slight_smile:

I don’t think it sounds rude at all. It’s a perfectly reasonable reaction.

I don’t understand it much, either. At least for the English-speaking nations. I suppose I could understand it if it was another language, as there may need to be some extra fixes and whatnot. But in most cases, the English version we get is the same that Australia and the UK and New Zealand and (etc.) are getting. Furthermore, it’s not even a licensing issue; Disney releases everything everywhere.

I suppose I could see some date changes if another movie were to be released around the same time that Disney/Pixar thought could take away from the audience. But that usually is not the case, as the US is the primary producer of the “big” animated films. They would be changing dates to avoid other US movies whose dates were changed when released overseas. And it’s Pixar. They are, well, sorta kinda big. There is undoubtedly an audience.

Ah, well…I wish we knew the strategy behind that. At least Cars 2 is only a month. Though it feels strange, you guys getting it then. I feel like a world premier would be more fitting, or at least a simultaneous release in the US and UK. There is a huge British presence within the film, after all.

I find it odd that the British have to wait so long for Pixar movies, considering they don’t even have to prepare a dub.

Heck - the Japanese had to wait until December for Up. I can’t even imagine how horrible that must’ve been. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, well thats terrible! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I just wondered if there were liscensing issues or something. :confused:

I’ve always wondered the reason behind the world wide release dates.

I know it doesn’t make up for it, but Winnie the Pooh was released a couple months before the US release date this year.

[quote="ellie-jessie-eve":2mullt6r]I’ve always wondered the reason behind the world wide release dates.

I know it doesn’t make up for it, but Winnie the Pooh was released a couple months before the US release date this year.[/quote:2mullt6r]

So you guys haven’t got it yet? WE’ve had Pooh for about a month…
I feel bad moaning now :-\

^ Yeah, we don’t get it until July. :frowning:

[quote="definedancing":1a3z9dai]So you guys haven’t got it yet? WE’ve had Pooh for about a month…
I feel bad moaning now :-\[/quote:1a3z9dai]

Not a problem friend! The majority of movies are released in the US, this is a rare thing, so I’m not complaining. Also we’ve had Hop, Rio, and Hoodwinked Too April and May so it’s chill. Although the only of those three I have the desire for is Rio!

Ahh, thats good to know :slight_smile:

Ahh, we’ve had Rio for about a month now, and Hop came out last week, but we haven’t got Hoodwinked Too yet. Rio is excellent, btw :smiley:

Defintely. It’s my favorite movie of the year so far, and I’m seeing it tommorrow for a second time.

[size=150]CARS 2 WORLDWIDE RELEASE DATES:[/size]

Country // Date

USA 18 June 2011 (Hollywood, California) (premiere)
Australia 23 June 2011
Greece 23 June 2011
Slovenia 23 June 2011
Canada 24 June 2011
Colombia 24 June 2011
Ecuador 24 June 2011
Mexico 24 June 2011
USA 24 June 2011
Netherlands 29 June 2011
Poland 29 June 2011
Argentina 7 July 2011
Panama 7 July 2011
Portugal 7 July 2011
UK 22 July 2011
France 27 July 2011
Germany 28 July 2011
Hungary 28 July 2011
Japan 30 July 2011
Denmark 4 August 2011
Hong Kong 4 August 2011
Norway 5 August 2011
Sweden 5 August 2011
Italy 17 August 2011
Turkey 19 August 2011
Malaysia 25 August 2011
Singapore 25 August 2011

Now this sounds like a topic of discussion or heated debate and arguments that I myself has had with umpteem members via Skype and Twitter since joining the boards…

As previously outlined Up was released on May 29th in 2009 in the US and the UK, I’m sorry but I have to correct you as I saw it twice on the day of release in both 2D and 3D, October 9th. During that period it was difficult to be a member and participate in things such as Pixar Planet Movie Night, however it must be noted that those members who participated in the events were sensitive to the differences and whilst spoliers were never present, the typing conversations did leave one feel a little left out.

12 months later the same problem arised with Toy Story 3… and unfortunately this member couldn’t take the wait any longer and strained relationships with those members who 12 months previously friendships were strengthened.

In working for a cinema it is clear to see that Disney among all producing and distributing studios watch the actions of not only the other studios but the academic calendar.

The UK recieved Winnie in April, as Children here broke for Easter. Cars 2 is releseased the Weekend the Children of the UK (and thier teachers) get a Six Week Long Hiatus from one another, and trust me it is more than well deserved! This summer Disney have Pirates, which has had a nice early release, in the UK we have the Whitsun half term, and with Harry Potter 7.2 on the horizon Stranger Tides is well positioned. Now Potter and Cars look like a head to head, and they will indeed clash this summer and whilst potter is the end of an era parents will be looking for things to do with their children over the Summer and as Disney want to Maximise potential at home release for Christmas having Cars released just 28 days (OK an AGONISING 28 Days) later is actually in the best intrersts of the company who want Cars 2 to be as successful as Toy Story 3… hence the positioning of the Banner “From the Creators of Toy Story 3” attached to all posters!

Its a bitter pill for the UK to swallow… and the entire world… but We have to leave it to Disney to sort out… perhaps by the time MU is released Disney would have envisioned a Worldwide release however don’t hold your breath… it seems that only WB has the insane ability to do that!

Thanks for the insight Captain Pan :slight_smile:. I’m ashamed to say I didn’t see UP in the cinema and I didn’t realise it was that late :neutral_face:

I completely see where you’re coming through with the school holiday’s; however, it is still an absolute pain to have big distributors only release films at these times. Not only is there not very much on during the rest of the year, it’s almost amusing at times to see studio’s fight eachother over films.

Ah well. At least people here are sensitive about it. :slight_smile: