The Bad Guys

Okay I’m not sure if this is even the legal place for a topic like this, which encompasses all the movies, but I was wondering whether or not each pixar villain got their just comeuppance.
Let’s shake it down…

1. Sid becomes a basket case when attacked by toys.
  2. Evil grasshoppers get eaten by the robin.
  3. Stinky Pete is shoved into a little girl’s bag.
  4. Randall gets beaten up and thrown into some distant state (I’m guessing Florida?) There’s another topic like this in the Monster’s Inc subforum if you wanna check it out.
  5. Was there a villain in Finding Nemo?
  6. Syndrome gets sucked into a propeller. Owie.
  7. gasp, pant, wheeze i didn’t watch Cars, so I’m not sure who the bad guys were
  8. That chef dude was locked into the pantry by Remy’s friends
  9. Captain What’s-His-Name destroyed Auto
  10. Charles Muntz disappeared into the lithosphere and probably died of oxygen loss
  11. And finally Phew! Lotso was strapped to the front of a garbage van.

Discuss. Did they deserve it??

Well, for Syndrome, Hopper, and Muntz, but whil I am totally for people getting what they deserve, i can’t stand the fact of someone dying.

Syndrome killed a lot of Supers, so he deserved his punishment the most. Muntz was super obsessed with the bird, and that lead to his downfall (no pun intended). Hopper was a bully who used intimidation to get what he wanted, but nothing that deserves a death penalty.

Sid as a kid was probably scared for life. Stinky Pete, his greediness lead him to getting stuck in that pink backpack. Randall, oh boy, how to say this without hurting feelings? Well, while his downfall made me laugh in the theatres, getting clonked in the head with a shovel, I had to think a lot about this. Randall would be charged with kidnapping, and something else that I can’t think off the top of my head, but do i think he got what he deserved? Probably yes. Would I pick a better alternative than bashing on the head alot? I would indeed.

Going over to Chick. He’s a cheater obsessed with winning. Yes he won the cup, but the media is totally going to rip him up. We never saw wha heppened to him other than getting booed off, so we’ll see.

Skinner might have been released, and closed down Gusteaus, but it didn’t stop Remy. So all I can do is laugh in his face.

AUTO was doing his job of staying on the course of the A113 directive. I don’t see any harm in him trying to stay focus on his mission. His tactics were a bit harsh, but no evil in him.

A rounded out topic for everyone…interesting.

You might want to check “Villain’s Inferno” in the fanfiction section mayfly005. It’s a take on the “after-math” for some of the…ahem “antagonists”.

Anyways to these guys.

1. Sid is something all too common in any sort of world. He’s a kid. Ok probably going through some kind of freaky puberty. To “toys”, he’s something of a demon. To most parents he’s a troubled kid. We don’t see Sid’s mother, just hear her voice, but she seems to be the careing sort. This is in retrospec to his dad which we…sorta see, just his arm holding a beer. But his father seems to be the “dead-beat” type, probably the one who got Spud (the dog).
    Anyways, in simplicity…Sid did need SOMETHING to turn his life around, and maybe scare him out of his wits. As we see in the some-what future, Sid gets a job (I think). Though to be honest it doesn’t seem like he had as much…hmm…“drive” as Andy did in the education and determination factor. Still, he seems to be un-harmed by his interaction with toys long ago and seems to have gotten over it.
    So, it kinda, maybe, did him good just to be scared out of his wits. Though hopefully he didn’t spend a decade in therapy for it.

2. Hopper was his name. Well Hopper’s interesting…the whole “order” of stuff, as explained by him and his brother “ants pick the foot, the grasshoppers eat the foot, and the birds eat the grasshoppers”. It’s all part of the “natural order” and Hopper is just…well thinking on that set line.
    He does have some honorable traits, like promising his mother he wouldn’t kill his brother hehehe.
    Not to say I exactly feel “bad” for him…he was just caught up in that whole way of thinking. I mean it’s true that the ants outnumber them like 100-1, and that if they retaliate they’re a lot stronger than they think.
    All in all he was running the natural order and got consumed by it.

3. Pete…Stinky Pete. And example of a hurt soul being cast aside so many times. He hadn’t felt the erm…“affection” that the other toys have felt. This is in contrast to Jessie, who had experienced that, but who also was lost in the growing “times”. I would like to think Pete HAD been Jessie’s crutch. When he says “I promise you Jessie, you WILL come out of the box” is something that’s happened before. So he too has his good points.
    But still, like Lotso, he was a victim to his own ideals. Forcing his own desires on somebody certainly wasn’t the way to go, and Al (chicken guy) certainly didn’t help when he brought Woody in on things.
    While a girl might not have been a good pic…Pete needed to go through what Jessie did. However…that…also runs the risk of him being left behind like Jessie was. A bit of a conundrum that faces in all the stories.

4. Randall? Seriously? You want me to comment HERE? ^0^

5. There was supposedly NO villain. Uhh…the niece I think of the dentist was suggested to be one, but she’s just a little girl. Bruce…na. Bruce was a shark that was just thrown in by his natural instinct when Dory hurt herself.

6. Syndrome I like to think was actually a victim thanks to Bob. Yeah, Bob was EVERYTHING to him growing up, HIS OWN hero. And then he was shot down. Mr. Incredible (Bob) could have easily said “yeah, you can join me…when your 21” heheh, but no, simply dismisses him as something. As Syn…you know what…no…as BUDDY PINE…he, as he stated, was torn apart. In essence, Mr. Incredible CREATED Syndrome.
    Did he deserve to “possibly die”? I don’t think so…I think he should have gotten put in a vault somewhere and gotten a few years of therapy.

7. Your safe there, there wasn’t much of any villain. You might count rival racer Chicks (for running uhhh…King?..of the road, causing one mighty crash), but he was just a self-obsessed competitor, like Lighting was. But yeah, he got his in the audience, everybody saw what he was with that.

8. Ah Skinner. It’s in confliction if he was an antagonist. But lets think on that. He got Gusto’s when Gusto died, heading up things. Now…he took advantage of Gusto’s name to sell frozen food stuffs, literally selling normal stuff but putting Gusto’s name on it to get buyers. He does, however have some respect, as he doesn’t want Gusto being put in an image that his uhh…lets see…that asian guy uhh…forgot his name…one of his “designers”.
    Anyway, through and through…Skinner…we don’t really “know” what he got…but lets say that getting kicked out of Gusto’s and being in a pantry for a few hours might have did him good. If he wasn’t so set on ruining Linguini, he might have come back at the same position he was before.

9. Uhh…yeah Auto was suggested to be the uhh…yeah. Anyways, Auto is first and foremost a machine. He has to follow his programming. Shelby and his staff who designed him made the orders, and Auto had to follow because he thought it was right, because what his programming says is right in his eyes. So no, I don’t blame him for his actions, I blame those who wanted to leave Earth behind.

10. Muntz…again, I feel sorry for the guy. He had his career ruined when his actual truth was found to be false by studiers (which, later on apparently, WAS discovered true), and in his declaration to his friends, family (?), and admirers, he would prove himself. For many years he had toiled to find the bird he was looking for, with no success.
    Think about it, failing at every turn to reclaim what was wrongly taken from you. And from what I see, Muntz wasn’t even aiming to kill. Heck, the planes for his dogs (wha??) were equipped with tranq darts, not bullets. If he had just captured Kevin and taken him back to prove himself, there would be no problem.
    But then we have the realization that Kevin was female and had kids, so having done that might have put the little ones in danger, but again Muntz was unknown to this fact.
    And in all those years, he turned to think every new human would threaten his chances.
    I feel as bad for him as I do for Randall, though Randall I feel more so for.

11. Ok this is getting huge…wrap up time. Lotso? I feel bad for, being tossed aside and replaced, he became bitter and hurt. The bad thing? He let it be the only thing that drove him.
    Being on the front of a grill? That won’t really help. He’d need to find somebody like his original owner to be cared for and sorta close up the wounds.

…phew…

Hey guys! Great idea for a topic. But I’m going to move it to the Pixar Movies section of the boards, it doesn’t belong in the fandom section. Thanks!

A lot of the bad guys,as mentioned previously, weren’t really going out of their way to be bad as such, like Auto, Sid and Bruce, because their actions were natural to them. I think the only really villians, the ones that commited horrendous things, are Hopper and Syndrome imo. All the others were just a bit…snide, and they’d all had reasoning behind their actions, but they weren’t evil as such. :slight_smile:

Except Syndrome, you have to remember Syndrome. He killed people, yeah, thus making him evil.

In fact when you think of it, villains are cooler than heroes because they know what they want and how to get it, only they get it…evilly.

Whew! Long time, no Post!

This is a great topic and interesting discussion. I think, overall, Pixar has done pretty well at the “poetic justice” payoff for their antagonists. I’m not going to go through them all, but…

I’ve liked Sid for a long time. I don’t think he’s a “villain” - or a bully, as he’s been described. I think he’s an oddball kid with a warped sense of creativity and some anger management issues. The Toys Coming to Life is a great payoff for the movie, and TS3 would indicate that Sid survived the trauma and became a productive member of society. :wink:

Hopper and Muntz are two of my favorite Pixar characters of any kind, but plot-wise, they both have to die, because that’s the only way to stop them. Hopper would just recruit a bigger gang of grasshoppers and come back to wipe out the Ants. After 70 years in pursuit of his obsession, Muntz is crazy beyond all reason, and Kevin and her kind will never be safe as long as he is around. Our heroes can’t take Kevin away from her natural habitat, and they can’t cart Muntz back to the states without opening a whole plot-can of worms about what happens when Muntz returns and discovers that he’s been forgotten. As they explain on the “Many Endings of Muntz” featurette on the DVD/BR, this is Carl’s story, and by that point, Muntz basically needed to get out of the way of the plot. (I’m paraphrasing.)

Syndrome really didn’t have to die - they could have captured him and locked him up, and he could have had a long career as Mr Incredible’s Nemesis.

Skinner’s a funny one, because in a way, he gets what he wanted - He stops Linguini from successfully reviving Gusteau’s. But he loses his claim on Gusteau’s, as well, and all the profits from those microwave burritos and “Chop Socky Pockets.” I always figured Skinner came to America and became the Frozen Corn Puppy King. :laughing:

On your first point, I can agree with you to a point where Syndrome would cross the border to being evil. But he’s doing out of spite, revenge, and a desire to be admired. What Pixar does so well is not creating generic “evil” characters. They don’t do it “evilly”, but they have no regard for who they hurt and will do what ever to accomplish their goals.

Yeah, evilly. What I meant. if you’re selfish like that and don’t care who you hurt, that counts as evil…Right? Or just bad.

Or, morally lost.

I agree with both. Syndrome was morrally lost, so in turn, he did really bad or evil things.

There’s a lot already written here that I agree with, so won’t express my opinion on all antagonists.

Sid can just have a strange sense of creativity, but the worst part of him is that he broke his sister’s toys, leaving the poor girl to play with headless dolls and I don’t know what else. After toys scare him, Hannah could stand up for herself… so who knows, maybe this episode led to a better relationship? Anyway, Sid is shown as quite cheerful in the 3rd movie, so he probably got over the shock.

For Stinky Pete… I don’t even look at it as at a severe punishment. He never got kids’ attention - now he got it. He wasn’t thrown away at once, the girl took him home, and she seemed to be nice (I guess painting dolls is a temporary period). After all, Prospector well could get a good home.

And Auto was just turned off. He is the most mechanical among all robots that tend to show human qualities. So was it a really big deal for machine to be turned off? He wasn’t evil, just followed directives, but I did’t feel bad for him at all, I was happy for the Captain.

To me, Ellie put it best in terms for Syndrome as describing him as “morally lost”.
As we actually see, Syndrome was a boy, Buddy Pine, who looked up to Mr. Incredible. In some cases, who wouldn’t? A some-what indestructible super hero that goes around saving people?
That’s what Buddy Pine WANTED to be at first. But then Incredible shot him down. The image Buddy had of him was also shot down, tore apart the image and morals he wanted to follow.

Tragic really. If Incredible could have at least been some-what understandable then he could have prevented the whole thing.

But Buddy went on, killing supers with that droid of his. A path that turned him into Syndrome. Buddy I feel sorry for…Syndrome? Well…he’s the dark facade that lured and murdered the heroes of the world for a righteous-turned-selfish desire.

This is just my opinion. Opinion. Don’t shoot!!

Sid: Well, what Woody did was mostly to defend Buzz, not punishment, but either way, I believe Sid deserved it. Creep.

Hopper: He definitely deserved it.

Stinky Pete: Yes. He didn’t even die! He just got put into an uncomfortable living environment for him. Oh well. :stuck_out_tongue:

Randall: Well, this is probably the most disputable. My opinion is, yes. And I do not wish to be verbally assaulted by unsaid lady who loves to argue and make me feel foolish. That is my opinion. However, I do understand why some of us think it is wrong that those things were done to him. That makes sense to me.

Um…I don’t think Finding Nemo technically has a villain.

Syndrome: YES. In my opinion, intentionally attempting to murder someone’s wife and children in their face is pretty sick. I will not argue this and I will not change my mind here at all.

Chick Hicks: Well, if you even consider him a villain. 8D Yes, he did deserve it. At least he got a Piston Cup as a consolation prize.

Anton Ego:Um, he’s not really a villain, and if anything, he benefited. He got a new outlook on life! I’d like one of those. 8D

AUTO: Yes.

Charles Muntz: Yes.

Lotso: Um, yeah. Enough said.

A lot of yes’ there :laughing:

Thank you for saying about the understanding bit :wink:

I never thought of ego as the villain, just one of those guys who get in the way. I loved the flashback scene though!
As for what you said about Syndrome, that was definitely right

Yeah. A lot of them were handled in a self-defense way(Sid, Stinky Pete, Lotso) and didn’t even die or suffer physical harm. So them deserving it isn’t even a question in my mind. And for Muntz, Syndrome and Randall…well, what else is there to do? Capital punishment may seem harsh, but personally, I’d rather die quickly than sit in prison. :stuck_out_tongue:

And you’re welcome. I probably seemed really defensive in my last post, but that’s because whenever I say anything on this subject, you-know-who butts in and out right attacks me. :stuck_out_tongue: Just so you know, because it wasn’t aimed at you.

shrugs Ehh…I’d rather go for redemption. Muntz was…well he was getting old in his age, senile and overly…well he went some-what mad in accomplishing his goals…and it was really the fault of those who accused him of being a liar and stripping him of all the stuff he earned through his life. A lot of people use to admire him, and his desire to correct things turned into something twisted and wicked that he tried to contain but ultimately could not. Heck, he tried to kill Russell 0_0 A KID for crying out loud…he was just so far gone…
Buddy…I feel sorry for too. The personality he created out of hatred for Mr. Incredible, Syndrome, committed acts that would doom him. Whatever end he’d have wouldn’t be easy for him, but murdering so many people for a selfish desire…
Randall well…at least he didn’t kill anybody, especially a kid…Though unlike Muntz and Buddy he had somebody pulling his wires.

It’s alright. Heh heh though I DO seem to recall you saying I was erm…“defensive” myself? Heheh. But yes, don’t worry. As long as you understand things, honestly, then I have no problemo.

Here goes.

1. Sid. I’d say so. We don’t exactly know what happens to him after the events of Toy Story, other than that he became a garbage man who retains his younger self’s taste in music. Was he scarred for life? Did he grow to respect toys or just fear them? How is his relationship with his sister? Etc. Side wasn’t evil, though. I’d define him more as lost. But it’s not like he was injured or anything. I say fair.

2. Hopper. Considering his actions, it seems fair. He went out of his way to hurt Flik and other ants, and exploit them for food. He put himself in a situation to get eaten. And, hey, he contributed to the food chain!

3. Stinky Pete. Wasn’t there some profile that stated that Stinky Pete eventually settled down, content with his new life? Pete wasn’t evil, he just was never used as an actual toy. He may have been uncomfortable initially, but he was able to change. Al wasn’t evil, just greedy. But his actions and personality were terrible. Losing his way to wealth was deserved.

4. Randall. This one is touchy. I understand the arguments against his punishment, but at the same time, I can see why Mike and Sully did what they did (especially considering them being make-shift guardians to Boo). Randall did, after all, help to banish them and admitted to Sully that he had wanted to kill him for the longest time…before trying to actually kill him… It is possible for him to find his redemption, but he has some serious issues to work through. And at least he wasn’t killed.

5. None, really. Maybe Darla, but I wouldn’t consider her much of a villain. More like an immature girl whose parents/guardians/adult figures never taught her how to properly handle a fish.

6. Syndrome. While Mr. Incredible’s actions to Buddy were rather harsh, it doesn’t give him the excuse to kill. Buddy’s state of mind probably decayed to that level and he became a murderous, evil villain. I consider him another character that put himself in a position to be killed. After his failed attempt at destroying-and-saving the city, he could have given up, gone into hiding, turned himself in. But instead he went after Jack-Jack, an innocent baby, and flew off. Deserved.

7. Chick Hicks. Not evil, but got what he deserved. He won, but the crowd and media disliked his egotistical attitude, preferring Lightning’s genuine heart. Perhaps he simply needs to take a drive and discover himself (much like McQueen).

8. Skinner. He got what he wanted, but through that process, Linguini, Remy, and Collette changed for the better. So, he more or less won but still failed.

9. Auto. He was simply running on orders, so the blame can’t be placed entirely on him. He’s less human than any of the other robots by far. I don’t see him being turned off as a punishment, but more like turning off a lamp before one heads outside. It was necessarily to return to Earth, and is more symbolic of going against the previous captain’s orders.

10. Muntz. Definitely a character that put himself in a position to, well, fall off his air craft and die. Muntz is another mental decay case. He tries to kill an innocent man and child, and capture a mother bird. Muntz kept following Carl and attacking. He shouldn’t be surprised that he fell off at one point.

11. Lotso. He was cruel and calculating, and his doomed to be stuck to the front of a truck. A fine enough punishment. Maybe it will give him some time to think. And bond with the other little truck guys.

I understand. I just personally prefer self-control to “so and so did this to me, so I’m taking it out on everybody else.”

Actually, I find Muntz to be the most sympathetic of the three. He had everything, and it was taken from him for no fault of his own. I just don’t think that justifies killing people, or, in his case, trying to kill people and stealing animals(personally, I didn’t care that he wanted the bird. I’m still not fully aware of why that particular idea is wrong. But shooting at 8 year olds is wrong.)