Up Retells Don Quixote?

Thomas of Upcoming Pixar reported something pointed out by blog reader Joe.

Bear in mind the clue was discovered on the updated Wikipedia entry for the film, but he thinks Up may be a retelling of Don Quixote. “Disney has tried forever to make an animated movie based on Don Quixote, maybe this is John Lassetter’s way of realizing one of Walt’s unfulfilled dream projects?”

Regardless of the removal of the updated info, this was the Wiki excerpt Thomas posted:

“Insider sources say this new film is a re-telling, somewhat, of the classic Don Quixote fable.”

Read Thomas’s comparison of both synopses for Up and Don Quixote and judge for yourself.

~~=oP

Well, no one should trust Wikipedia for Pixar stuff anyway. xD

I read the summary and it’s very plausible… but it’s Wikipedia so, meh. :confused:

You are all so quick to dismiss it because it’s Wikipedia. Wikipedia isn’t always full of false, misleading or incorrect information.

The thing to notice (with anything, really, not just Wikipedia) is whether or not the statement has a citation from a reliable source. The statement about the [spoil]old guy and the Wilderness Ranger[/spoil] has a citation from Time Magazine, so it could be considered reasonably reliable. Your local library should have a subscription to Time, so you can check it out yourself.

With Wiki, anytime a statement has a source, the number that follows the statement is a link to the bottom of the page, which lists all the citations so they’re easy to find.

Yeah I’m not sure if I believe it either. I dont see the appeal in doing a Don Quixote story I guess. But then once you get Time involved, well who’s gonna doubt them? :wink:

DEATH TO WIKIPEDIA!

We’ll just have to wait, guys. Unless you like knowing everything about the film before seeing it, which I don’t. xD

Anyone knows there is an animation film about Don Quixote??.
It’s from Spain.

www.donkeyxote.com/

Hey diosesdevicedo. Welcome to Pixar Planet.

It seems plausible to me considering the brief outline we have of “Up”. It’s a great concept, if true. The Don Quixote story is full of heart, wonderful characters and imagination. All Pixar hallmarks!
But it is most likely a fan speculation that has gone out of control in the rumor mill.

Yes, I don’t think we should believe all those silly rumors that everyone starts, especially at Wikipedia.

By the way, welcome, Luigi! :smiley:

Like Cars 2…
& welcome Luigi!
But this rumor is possibly true, so for now I’d believe it, but would not be surprised if it was false.

Another thing to remember is that it’s still really early in terms of the kind of info we get from Pixar. As far as we know, the movie is called Up and it’s coming out in 2009. We probably won’t know much more until the teaser comes out with WALL-E this summer. Sure, Time is a reliable source, but Pixar’s also not exactly in the business of giving out all their spoilers this early in the game… perhaps we should just sit back and process the information as it comes.

I also think that some of you didn’t get the idea of my previous post. I’m not saying “Death to Wikipedia,” but I’m also not saying that it’s great and perfect and full of the best information. Just take the extra step and check the sources. :slight_smile:

True. That’s another reason I’m not sure if I believe it. Pixar really hasnt said anything about the plot yet.

Enrico Casarosa is in Italy to promote the Ratatouille DVD. He is italian so a couple of newspapers have interviewed him. He is working on Up and he said that

Transl: It’s the story of an old Indiana Jones, who wants to save the world from bad guys and bravely faces thousands of dangerous situations. But then he has dinner at 3.30pm. It’s funny, but I can’t reveal more.

So now it’s Indiana Jones, not Don Quixote…

PS: the first article I linked has an image of Geri’s game telling that it is a preview of Up -_- Now the journalist has corrected the caption, but not the image…

Like others have said, it’s always weird with Wikipedia. On one hand, they were the first place I know to have plot information for WALL-E, and as weird as it sounded at the time (“A love story? What? Must be a wiki rumor.”) it turned out right. But comparing the plots… maybe it’s got a heavy nod, but it doesn’t seem to be based on the book.