'Up Tour 2009'

Would you like to participate in this project?

• Yes!
  • No.

0 voters

Hey guys, I’d like to tell you about my idea!

As we all know, in 2009, Pixar Animation Studios will release their 10th feature film in 14 years (14 years to fans, 20+ years to Pixar employees)- Up. To celebrate Up and all of Pixar’s success, I’d like to send a ‘tour book’ around the United States, in which fans will get the chance to show their love for Pixar by posting photos and notes inside the book.

Sound cool? I hope so! It’s a really big idea. It’s going to be very hard to pull off. But I really want to try. I think Pixar would love to see the finished project. This is the perfect thing to remind Pixar how many people follow their films and our chance to give something back to Pixar!

UPDATE MARCH 11TH 2009: Hey everyone, I’ve just completely revamped the project and how it’s going to work. I think I’ve worked out the kinks and if you’re still interested, you can read the new rules here!

Basically, I’ve made it so that ANYONE who wants to do this can. It was stupid of me to want only one fan from each state. I guess I just wanted every state to be represented, but I don’t think that will happen- and who cares if it does! Every Pixar fan should get to take part in this, no matter where they’re from. So I’ve also made it possible for fans outside of the U.S. to participate! I still can’t send the book to you, but you can send things in to me and I’ll put them in the book once it comes back from the tour around the U.S…

If you are not a member of LiveJournal, don’t fret! I can make it possible for you to participate if you send me an email at mynameisdug@hotmail.com. If you are a LiveJournal user, please use LJ to participate. It will make things much easier for you and for me. LJ users can sign up here.

I hope everyone will take a look at the project! Thanks for reading, and happy sailing! :wink:

• Chelsea/ Punky/ Pook (HOG-HUG)

That sounds like an incredible idea, Hog-Hug, and the perfect way to show Pixar our appreciation! Fans could put in some of their fanart, their writing, all sorts into a book like that. I think people of Pixar would enjoy how creative it is. I’d take part if I were in the US, and I’m sure you’ll get loads of people who want to be involved with this. :smiley:

Neat idea!! Hopefully you can pull it off without any major problems! Best of luck!

I won’t be able to receive the book for various reasons, but I’d be willing to send you something to put in it. Pixar is a big inspiration for me, so it’d be fun to participate in this some how. :slight_smile:

Yeah that’s a really good idea. I am certainly interested in participating, although I’m not sure how. I hope you can pull this off, as it sounds like quite an undertaking!

That’s a great idea, Hog-Hug! I will definitely participate in this if I live in the US.

I wish you guys good luck with your project. (and, hey, don’t forget to tell Pixar that we, non-US residents, say, “We love you” too! :stuck_out_tongue: )

Props to you for making a project like this. It seems as if you’ve put a lot of thought and planning into it, and it’s always good to spread the Pixar fandom and love to Pixar.

My only worry would be making sure that people send the book back, or onto its next destination… Would you even consider including submissions from international fans? If so, I’d love to be one of the Australian submitters.

Yeah, I actually would. If you would be willing to send things directly to me, I’d love to put them in the back of the book with other submissions from people who couldn’t actually get the book sent to them. I don’t know how to arrange that yet though, and it would probably cost a bit on your part.

I’ll post more information here as I get it going. I do want to think of something for international fans though, because really- Carl’s journey in UP isn’t even around the US!

I do worry that the book will get lost, but that’s why only 51 people will get the book, and each person who gets it is going to photograph it after they make their mark, so if the book does get lost, we’ll have pictures to send in to Pixar anyway.

Ah, that’s a good idea. Well, once the project has been finalised, I’d be happy to send something to contribute, especially if it’s a flat letter as opposed to a package, so it shouldn’t be too expensive to send. Is the book itself going to be like a proper, thick book, or like an art sketchbook or something? Is it likely that it’d get lost in the post, if it’s kept within the US? How reliable is the post over there? :laughing: Your idea for the photos to show Pixar what everyone’s done is a good solution, but it’d still be nice for Pixar to recieve the original copy of the book itself.

Yeah, I’m going to try and do everything to make sure the book arrives safely. It’d going to be shipped priority mail, which is the most expensive and means they take the best care of it. It’s also the fastest, so the book shouldn’t be left somewhere for weeks to be forgotten.

The book is thin, 8 1/2’’ by 11’’ so standard printing paper size. If people decorate it with flat images and notes/ etc., it should be sent relatively easily.

I dunno… 51 people is a lot for people to get around to posting/writing in the book, then sending it back. I think people generally have good intentions, but things might get in the way, or they could forget, their dog could chew on the book, etc I think it would be better for people to decorate an A4 page each, then send it to you to put in the book.

Yeah, I don’t mind paying for posting a few things so you can put it in the back of the book. Maybe you could even have an international section. Let us know if this does end up happening. Thanks.

You’re right, I’m going to be testing fate here. But honestly, I don’t think the book would mean as much if it wasn’t a real traveling book. People send things in and I assemble it, yeah that’s cool… but then it’s really like I have too much say in what other people are trying to express. Yeah, it’s my idea but it doesn’t really belong to me of I’m trying to get other fans in on it. I want people to be able to leave their mark how they’d like. And in the end, if the book makes it back to me, it’ll be a bit worn. WITH LOVE! Full of fan cooties for Pixar.

The 51 people who will end up with the book won’t just be anybody. I’m going to talk to them all and make sure they know the commitment and responsibilities. I believe I can trust fellow fans who care as much as I do, so my only real worry is that mail carriers might lose the thing.

I think it’s a fabulous idea.
Now, this kind of thing has been done and it’s been done successfully. The hostess sent out two books on two halves of the world to plenty more than 51 people and, thank goodness, got the book to give to its recipients at the San Diego Comic Con. So I am assuring you that it can be done! Best of luck with the project!!

Wow. I would have wanted to do this…But what’re the odds that the person who is doing all this lives in the same state I do :frowning:! So I guess my state’s gone already…Where in Washington do you live??

I’m in Everett. If you want you can still send me something. O: And yeah, what were the odds? haha

Ohh…Everyone I meet who lives in Washington lives really far from me. :stuck_out_tongue: I’m in Vancouver. Idk… It wouldn’t really be the same if I just sent something for it to be posted in the book itself. :frowning:

I wish I could send the book out to everyone seperately, but I can’t if I want every state represented in time. Then again, I’m not getting much attention for this at the moment and if it doesn’t pick up, I may be able to send it out to everyone who wants it (in the US; sending the book internationally is still impossible).

If it does pick up though and I can’t send it to you, I hope you’ll consider sending something for me to add to the book. It’s not that I don’t want you to work on it yourself, it’s just that I’m so short on time and if people send me things I can arrange them very quickly wheras sending the book to everyone might take all year or more. Anyway, you can send me instructions on how you’d like everything arranged. Even a picture of how you’d like me to do it is okay. I’ll have more details soon. But \if you send something in it’ll be just as special! This is all just about showing Pixar the many people they’ve inspired with their work.

Hey that sounds pretty cool, could I submit something??

Definitely! I’m working on re-doing the project though, because I don’t think it’s going to work how I originally planned on setting it up. When it’s ready I’ll make sure to post news here. : )

Oh ok kool! I’ll be checking for it then. :slight_smile:

What an awesome idea! Short of tying the book to a cluster of balloons and sending it to the heavens… :slight_smile:
No, but it’s a really cool project! I’d love to send my entry. Do update us on your reworking of the project when you’re ready. :smiley: