DIGITAL 3D for UP

I just saw Monsters vs Aliens in 3D and I am super excited for UP in 3D.

At the beginning it took some getting used to with the glasses and the occasional blurriness, but the best shots are when there’s tons of detail and things are sort of slower.

Since pixar is the best with detail and story, I just want to say:

UP WILL BE AWESOME IN 3D!!!

Your thoughts?

I’ve seen Coraline and Bolt in 3D. There’s not a lot of quality loss and my only problem is dizziness and the fact that things look like paper cutouts a lot rather than dimensional objects. Hopefully after I see MvA I’ll be a bit more confident about 3D and Up. :sunglasses: ← 3D glasses

Yeah I was worried about the dizziness going in…

The movie Battle for Terra (which doesn’t look very interesting) was sort of dizzying, but that was getting used to the glasses, and the fast flashy cuts.

Prolonged cuts and scenes are ideal with the 3D because it allows the depth to sink in. I’m sure pixar knows this and are going to get it right!

I’ve seen Meet the Robinsons, the Hannah Montana concert movie, the Nightmare before Christmas, Bolt, and Coraline in Digital 3D! :smiley: They are all fabulous! Can’t wait until May 29!

Yep, Disney Digital 3D is a-ma-zing. Just worried that, like a lot of 3D movies, that Up will lose the Pixar touch (i.e. let technicality take over the essence of a good storyline/narrative) because Pixar’s now using this new technology.

One question - are they still using Renderman now that they’ve using Disney Digital 3D?

If you’ve seen the “Inside Up” featurette about the use of 3D, they’re definitely not letting go of the story. They’re using 3D not just as an effect, but to show the experiences that Carl goes through throughout the story.

Yeah I’m kinda excited for that too, although i hate wearing those glasses… I’ll be fine with it though as long as this doesnt become some kinda kitsch thing where the movies just become 90 minutes of sight gags

I have enough faith in Pixar to know they won’t lose the depth in their stories…

Yeah the featurette really does make me more excited about the 3D experience.

For me the glasses don’t make much difference, you get used to it pretty darn quick.

Today was an extremely slow day at the theater where I work, so while I was on the job I asked one of my managers if I might take a peek at the latest Up trailer during one of the Monsters vs Aliens (in 3-D) screenings, and he said “yes”! Needless to say, I was geekin’ out big time once the trailer actually did play on the screen, surround sound and all…

Personally, it doesn’t make much of a difference as to whether or not any film is seen in 3-D. It adds more depth to the production, sure, but I never really understood why an already three-dimensional film needs extra layers of 3-D on top of it. :unamused:

That said, you do get used to the glasses fairly quickly, like carlfredricksen stated, although they tend to hurt my eyes throughout the entire film…

– Mitch

These glasses are different than earlier 3D glasses, no red/green thing or anything weird like that. I’m not even sure what the difference is… I really forgot I was wearing them…

carlfredricksen - Yeah, these “Real-D” glasses (or whatever they’re called) are way different from the red/blue ones, although I’d much rather wear the latter… to be honest.

– Mitch

I don’t really plan on seeing Up in 3D, not only because I feel as though I’d be distracted from the film itself, but also because it’s so expensive to see 3D films.

Yeah, I’m major stoked to see Up in Digital 3-D too. I saw the trailer before Bolt, and it’s quite good, as you can see the interior of the house and the floor ‘jutting’ out of the screen as it floats away in the ‘takeoff’ scene. Quite subtle, and not as in-your-face as Dreamworks.

If you don’t see it in 3-D, at least catch the Digital format. After seeing a few movies in Digital, I don’t want to go back to conventional again. Seriously, the image is so much sharper and crisper without those annoying blemishes or ‘section-marks’ on the film reel.

I’m very confident that regardless of what format you see it in, it’ll be an enjoyable experience. People seem to be giving MvA good ratings because they keep raving about the 3-D technology, but I bet if this was only available in 2-D ( The true test of a film’s quality is independent of what format it’s shown in, ie can the script alone touch you emotionally?), people will be less patronising.

I find it ironic that while Dreamworks succeeds in bringing ‘depth perception’ to their onscreen spectacles, their stories are still quite shallow. :stuck_out_tongue:

thedriveintheatre - that’s a great point

I know I wouldn’t have liked MvA nearly as much as I did if it wasn’t 3D. A lot of the time I was in awe of the technology and a few laughs, definitely not emotional depth.

I guess that’s why putting a Pixar story, with the awesome technology will be so ridiculously amazing!

I respectively disagree. I do not think that digital movies are up to the quality of film yet. The edges are to jagged. I agree that it is crisp, but almost by too much. The thing I hate most it the graininess of digital compared to film. So I’ll take film over digital any day.

I’m with Nerradson on this. Personally, I believe that the quality of the three-dimensional format still has some ways to go before it makes a definite impression. From my perspective, it’s not worth the price tag, and doesn’t stand out significantly the way it should. If you’re going to make a 3-D film even more dimensional, at least put some emphasis on it – the depth factor of 3-D at the moment just isn’t strong enough, in my humble opinion.

That said, when I do go to see Up, I’ll probably see it in both formats, namely because I’m such a Pixar geek, but if I do view it in 3-D it will most likely only be one time, unless I’m more blown away by it than I expect (which I doubt).

– Mitch