Pixar's "Up" Pre-Release Screening Ticket Purchase

If you are interested in purchasing tickets to the Pre-Release Screening of “Up”, you can purchase them online at the following link:

[url]Welcome emeryed.org - BlueHost.com

Remember tickets are limited, and the online ticket purchase form will be de-activated after tickets have met near max capacity.

That sounds like a great idea! They should take it on in more locations.

Pity it’s only restricted to Emeryville.

I considered attending this event last year, but was unable to do so for various reasons. However, I have the funds to contribute to the Emery Ed Fund/event this year, and I may have the means before all of the tickets run out. Hopefully, I’ll be able to donate.

Thank you for the information, t14revolution, and welcome to Pixar Planet!

– Mitch

Amazingly, there are folks flying in from out of state to see attend this event. Washington, Minnesota, Nevada, and even Canada (out of country!)

Some dedicated folks to PIxar and/or Emery Ed Fund. =)

Dedicated and have lots of extra money :wink: Even if I lived there, I dont think I could afford a ticket. Although if I was rich I’d like to think I’d do things like that. Take spontaneous trips out of state just to see movies, I mean. Plus it’s for a good cause

If I were closer, I think I’d be very tempted to buy a ticket, definitely. I wonder if anyone else on here will actually go to it- that’d be pretty cool! Thanks for the link, t14revolution.

Just wanted to stop by and mention that I’ll be flying out from Georgia to attend the event. Wasn’t sure if I’d be able to go for the longest time, but got my IRS returns in, went a little easy on the groceries for a few weeks, and managed to save up. I’ll try to do a writeup as best I can of the experience once I get back and have the time. Anyone else here going?

First post here, btw. Long time lurker, though.

That’s awsome WWGray4!! I hope you have a wonderful time! Well, who I am kidding… of course you will! Looking forward to your report. Welcome to the forums btw. :smiley:

I wish I could make it but alas I am at school and can’t really afford to fly out for the screening.

Oh wow, you’re so lucky WWGray4! I hope you have a good time at the event, and I look forward to reading your write-up.

And welcome to the boards! :smiley:

I know it’s been about a week since the screening, but I’ve been a bit busy with moving out of the dorm and I also wanted to take some time to collect my thoughts. Anyways, here’s my “official” review of the film:

Keep in mind I’m not exactly a critic, so this is just a fan’s review. As far as spoilers go, I tried to avoid specifics but I do discuss the development of Carl, in general terms. So while no events are mentioned, you do get an idea of the direction the film takes.

I just want to say, first off, the audience I spent the 90 minutes of my life with (95 if you count Pete Sohn’s excellent short, Partly Cloudy, as well) the night I saw Up was the best audience I have ever viewed a film with. Every single person there was there because they loved Pixar, because they had the utmost respect for their art, and because they could not wait to see the newest magic this wonderful studio had conjured up.

As such, when we all walked into the theatre to begin the screening- the same theatre where every shot of the movie we were about to see had been viewed, discussed, and approved by the very magicians who made it- you could feel the reverence in the air. When the little, bouncing lamp that had greeted us for the past 9 films hopped onto screen, every single person in the room went silent. And, most importantly of all, when Carl and Russell’s story played out before us, we all cheered, cried, and laughed together.

And for good reason. This story, moreso than other Pixar film I have seen, resonates. Everyone has dealt with their dreams- building them up and trying to fulfill them, only to have to compromise in the face of reality- so it’s only natural to sympathize with Carl. We earnestly root for him as he tries, here at the end of his life, to do what so few of us can accomplish during ours.

Surprisingly enough, it is Carl, this 78 year old widower, who actually goes through the greatest deal of character growth. Yes, Russell experiences quite a bit as well (and reveals a surprisingly moving motivation for his behavior- one that even pushes Carl to mature and fulfill, spiritually, a dream he and his wife had earlier in their lives) but Carl learns the most, by far. Throughout the film, he rediscovers what it means to dream and opens himself back up to the world, lead by the memory of his now departed wife Ellie, who, despite being absent from pretty much the 5 minute mark of the film onward, remains a strong presence throughout the film. Ellie essentially motivates Carl to take his trip, watches over him throughout it, and even, in a way, “convinces” him to do what is right at the turning point before the final act of the movie. I don’t wish to spoil it, so I’ll just leave it at this- the moment of Carl’s “transformation” is absolutely perfect, narratively, metaphorically, and thematically. The image we see of him, just as he undertakes the final portion of his quest, is as heroic as any I’ve ever seen on screen.

Up isn’t just a drama, though- amidst all the character growth and thematic development stands one of the funniest films Pixar has made. The physical comedy and timing here are, as always, spot on and the pack of dogs introduced about halfway through the film serve as brilliant comic relief. Unlike the majority of talking dog characters out there, the Alpha pack are written as if they were actual canines who simply have their thoughts translated rather than as human characters that just happen to inhabit a dog’s body. This key distinction gives them a unique brand of speech that is incredibly amusing. It’s honestly as if the writers translated all those conversations you have in your head with your pets into real dialogue. Dug, the outcast of the pack, steals the entire show and could possibly be my favorite Pixar character to date. (He certainly has the best line of the entire movie- keep an ear out for it and see if you can figure out which I’m referring to.)

The action, though not quite as pervasive as the trailers would have you believe, is appropriately tense and exciting as well, with some surprisingly dark moves taken by the antagonist of the film. (Up, the second of Pixar’s to do so, definitely earns its PG rating.) While not as well-staged or exciting as the battles featured in the Incredibles, it serves its purpose well and keeps the third act moving at a brisk pace.

Speaking of the pacing, however, I do have some complaints with the film. Much has been said about the economy of storytelling present in Up and, while I agree that the opening montage is a perfect display of emotion and depth contained within brevity, I do wish there were some areas the film had actually spent more time with. Specifically, I feel that the antagonist deserved a little bit more development and definitely a better conclusion, and that there was also room for a bit more development in the jungle portion of the adventure. Finally, it is worth noting that the flight to South America from North America is basically non-existent. These are minor complaints and it is to the film’s credit that every single scene feels necessary (a feat that, perhaps, would not have been possible with the additions I mention) but I did have the distinct feeling at the end of the film that it did not feel as “fleshed out,” so to speak, as the rest of the Pixar library.

My only other disappointment, if it can be called that, with the film is the score, which is perfectly serviceable but simply not as noteworthy as I had hoped. I absolutely loved Giacchino’s work on the previous two Pixar flicks he worked on, so maybe my disappointment is simply a product of high expectations, though. (I will say that I loved the central theme’s rendition as it played over the opening montage.)

Regardless of these weaknesses, I still feel this is a film that will be watched for generations to come. It is undoubtedly one of Pixar’s best, featuring the studio’s most emotional work to date, one of the most inventive band of characters on film, and moments and themes that will resonate with everyone, young and old alike.

If you guys have any questions on the film or the Pixar visitation in general, I’d be glad to answer them. I’m also going to try and upload some pictures of my trip later. (Although they’re mostly of the same atrium everyone else has been posting pics of)