Pete sets a new first!

I realized that Pete Doctor is the first Pixarian to direct a movie using a different composer. Lassator always uses Randy Newman, Stanton uses Thomas Newman, Bird uses Michael Giochinno, and Pete Doctor used Randy last time, and Michael this time! I know this is insignificant, but I thought I’d mention it.

By the way, this is my first post. Nice to meet you all!

Sorry. I didn’t mean to put the “event time.” I’m new to this.

Edited. I combined both of your posts. – Mitch

1986 - First and foremost, welcome to Pixar Planet! It’s nice to have you here. :smiley:

Secondly, I also find it interesting that Mr. Docter decided to break away from the norm and hire a different composer instead of Randy Newman. I love all of the work that each composer has contributed to Pixar’s many productions, but I feel that Michael Giacchino will definitely give Up that extra “umph” that it so rightfully deserves.

By the way, I edited your first post so as the “event time” is not displayed. Don’t worry; you’ll get used to the controls eventually.

Again, welcome to the site! :wink:

– Mitch

The directors at Pixar don’t really have much choice in the matter of composer. Even Randy Newman was thrust upon Lasseter. Turned out pretty great, though. Disney has a huge music business, and they tend to handle this kind of thing.

Hearty welcome 1986 and Funkypunk!

How on earth was Newman thrust upon Lasseter? There wasn’t any choice at the beginning or something like that?

I’ve always thought of Giacchino as the composer for the more adventurous Pixar films (well, Ratatouille is a pretty adventurous film, at least with Remy, and, well, go figure for The Incredibles). R. Newman is a great composer though, but I think Michael’s gonna give a better score… we’re in for a real treat :slight_smile:

Ever since The Incredibles, I’ve grown to love Mike G’s work.

Though he manages to bring interesting tones to the table as well keeping a foot back in regards to cinema.

From his jazzy 60’s take on The Incredibles, to the more cartoon stylings of Speed Racer, even the Japanese monster-movie feel for the closing credits music of Cloverfield.

Other than John Williams, he’s the only other composer I like who inserts some great jazz into his pieces. Like during the scene where Remy and Linguini are preparing ‘sweet bread a la Gusteau,’ and you hear the ‘vibes’ playing during part of the scene. I never hear vibes in a film score (as a former HS Jazz Band student, it’s hard to forget them).