Pixar Planet

Up Critical Reviews

Talk about Pixar's Up here!

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Postby mlamanno » Wed May 13, 2009 6:51 pm

I'd pay less attention to the tomatometer (which is great) and more to the average rating. Anything at an 8.0 or above on RT, from my experience, is usually terrific. Most Pixar movies cross it (exceptions include Monsters, Inc. and Cars)
mlamanno

Postby JD » Thu May 14, 2009 1:36 am

I don't know if I start to take it for granted but +90%/8.0 RT score is like duh! You know someone has to give it a bad review, but then it doesn't matter. So I only care about a couple reviews, and until Cars 2 I don't think there's any interesting change of Pixar average RT score. :D

I'm more anxious about its box office number. All those Wall Street "experts" will gang up on it if it makes less than WALL-E and I'm sick of "Pixar is on decline, $7.4 billion wasted" brouhaha.
JD
Shark Bait

Postby Manning » Thu May 14, 2009 1:49 am

The perfect run of reviews is over, as the Wall Street Journal didn't like it.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124226358415817813.html

Ah, but then who cares what accountants think anyway...

==============

Metacritic are dragging the ball on this one - they haven't listed a single review yet.

Anyway, here's the link for when they get their act together.

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/up
Last edited by Manning on Thu May 14, 2009 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manning
Ant

Postby lizardgirl » Thu May 14, 2009 1:15 pm

Yeah, unfortunately I'm going to have to add to the currently very, very small list of slightly negative reviews...Was reading The Independent today and there was a nice double page spread with a big picture of Russell and Carl and it was basically an article about the Cannes film festival, focusing on the 3D aspect.

There was also a review underneath and Up was given three stars out of five- not terrible, but not great in comparison to their previous reviews of Pixar films. Pixar was hailed for their use of 3D but apparently the action sequences aren't brilliant and the characters are 'stereotypical'.

I've only skim read the review as it seems to reveal a few spoilers, but if you'd like to read it for yourself, here's the link- Independent Up Review.

But then again, the article refers to Up as a 'cartoon', so part of me really wants to take it with a pinch of salt. :lol: I am pleased that Up is getting some exposure though- it's being released so late in the year that I'm afraid people will forget about it over here if the advertising campaign isn't effective.
Like looking at or creating Pixar fanart? Then you'll love PixarPlanetdA!
lizardgirl
Pixar Planet dA Administrator

Up IS a "cartoon."

Postby CartoonBoy » Thu May 14, 2009 3:21 pm

"UP" IS a "cartoon." This is a wonderful thing! I'm glad Pixar is making Cartoons.

No one else is.

Sadly, articles like this show just how lost many reviews "UP" may get in this venue. These people are in Cannes to see DOZENS of films, of which "Up" is only one.

This reviewer seems as if he'd revel sitting through a torturous Lars Van Trier film, or worst yet, a heap of steaming doo like "City of Lost Children," just for fun!
CartoonBoy
Shark Bait

Postby mlamanno » Thu May 14, 2009 4:38 pm

From the WSJ review:

"In the spirit of candor, accompanied by regret, I must say that I admired the film much more than I enjoyed it."

As my friend told me, if that's a negative review, then Up's in good shape.
mlamanno

Postby Manning » Thu May 14, 2009 11:28 pm

Lizardgirl - RT still rated the Independent review as "Positive". But yes, it was hardly glowing.

All the other UK dailys have published reviews as well and all are positive. (SEE the RT link below).

eerik wrote:Up @ Rottentomatoes.com
Update: 16 reviews listed - 100% fresh

(Just filling in for eerik on this task.)
Manning
Ant

Postby sulley » Fri May 15, 2009 7:01 am

hey guys! I also hope that Up does well on RT, so far it has 100% with 16 reviews! Keep that streak goin', critics!

Here (http://disneyetc.blogspot.com/2009/05/m ... loudy.html) is a recently posted positive review of Up/negative review of Partly Cloudy. Enjoy! Squirrel!
sulley
Ant

Postby lizardgirl » Fri May 15, 2009 8:56 am

CartoonBoy- Yeah, that's true. But it also bothered me when the main article above the Up review briefly mentioned Up as "Disney's latest cartoon". Admittedly the main review obviously accredited the film to Pixar, but anyone who might not have read that and just read the bigger article would've thought that it was made by Disney.

But hey, I'm just nit-picking. :lol:

Manning- Ah yes, thanks for the link- I didn't realise who the reviews on there were by and that other UK dailys had reviewed. And they seem to be a lot more positive than the one from The Independent! :D
Like looking at or creating Pixar fanart? Then you'll love PixarPlanetdA!
lizardgirl
Pixar Planet dA Administrator

Postby CartoonBoy » Fri May 15, 2009 2:41 pm

I agree in regards to it being referred to as a DISNEY cartoon (which, technically, it is). Pixar needs to maintain it's own, as yet mostly untarnished image.

But it's a CARTOON! GREAT!
CartoonBoy
Shark Bait

Postby Halos Nach Tariff » Sun May 17, 2009 4:19 pm

The Mail on Sunday (UK) gave it 3 out of 5 stars from the Cannes flim festival. But that is something of a pretentious event and they don't often appreciate family aimed animations. Also I am prone to distrust pretty much everything the Daily Mail says, especially when it comes to films...
Halos Nach Tariff
Garbage Boy

Postby Manning » Tue May 19, 2009 2:52 am

Well four more reviews in and the 100% positive grade remains intact. This is most surprising, given that all of the reviews are Cannes-based, where the critical vibe is inherently snooty.

Up @ Rottentomatoes.com
Update: 20 reviews listed - 100% fresh
Manning
Ant

Postby yamfox » Mon May 25, 2009 12:25 am

Rotten Tomatoes:
25 reviews, 100%
RT Community
74 Reviews, 81%
CHOWDER WILL BITE YOUR FACE!
yamfox
Shark Bait

Postby NanoGeek » Mon May 25, 2009 7:58 pm

I don't really care what the RT community reviews say. None of the reviews appear remotely professional, and the only negative review that said anything said that it would flop because of Star Trek and other current movies. Hardly a review at all.
NanoGeek
Shark Bait

Postby 1986 » Mon May 25, 2009 9:16 pm

I like Rotten Tomatoes, but sometimes I think it's a little innacurate.
Toy Story 3: greatest movie of the year.
Garbage Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Up