Pixar Planet

Your Up Reviews

Talk about Pixar's Up here!

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Postby FounderofAzn » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:47 am

mermaid08 wrote:after i saw UP, i told everyone i ran into they had to go see it and when they did they contacted me and told me how good they thought it was.

the funniest thing though was my best friends parents went to see it together and when they came back her mom's review was "oh, yes...well it was very sweet and all but it kinda reminded me of grand torino."

and i said "WHAT? what are you TALKING about??"

"well you know...a grumpy old man who doesn't want anyone to bother him, doesn't want anyone near his house, makes friends with a sweet little asian boy."

and then i couldn't stop laughing, its the oddest comparison/review i've heard back from anyone.

What..the...heck? xD How does one think that a movie involving a classic car, gangs, and a grumpy war veteran is even remotely similiar to a movie with a flying house, rainbow colored birds, and a wife's life long wish? That's hilarious!
I am Andrew Ryan and I am here to ask you a question: Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?
FounderofAzn
Toy Collector

Postby luxoIII » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:35 pm

I just saw Up second time. As brilliant as first. Probably the most emotional Pixar film to date. The opening sequence may be the most emotionally captivating 5 minutes in animation history. Not like Gran Torino. Lol.

Future character designer, Luxo 3
luxoIII
Ant

Postby PurpleAmharicCoffee » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:55 am

I saw Up on WatchXOnline (I could not resist) and found it to be an incredibly good movie. When it comes out in NZ I will love to see it in proper quality on the movie screen, and enjoy it for all it's worth.
This is the first Pixar movie where a character has said the eight-letter E word (Ethiopia), and I was happy to see it referenced so naturally in a movie.
The story was great, and not too predictable, with a good balance of humour and emotion. I especially loved the chocoholic bird!
10/10.

(I can't see any movie in '3D'- only one of my eyes works properly.)
I wish I could disappear like Violet some days and hold a force field around myself
PurpleAmharicCoffee

Postby lord_zedd » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:14 pm

For me this was an INCREDIBLE movie, the best one from pixar after Toy story 2 and The incredibles,this movie was awesome, it have hilarius jokes and much action , but the better of all was the end, when russel and carl become friends.

What i dont like is that carl replace russell father, and the fact that charles wasnt bad at all he just want to prove he was right and pixar kill him off
lord_zedd
Toy Collector

Postby Archibald » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:52 pm

I just saw it today for the first time (Up opened today in France). And I was very happy to see it in digital 3D AND in its english version. Really hard to find the both things combined.

About the film now : I won't be long ; lots of big reviews already. I'll just say that this is another masterpiece from Pixar. It has everything : humor, emotion, breathtaking action, great and fun characters... The only problem I can think of is [spoil]Muntz : not very well written character. He basically just became mad. I thought it was a little easy.[/spoil]
I don't know how high Up ranks in my Pixar list, but I know I can't wait to see it again :D

On a side note : I didn't post in a while, but it's just that I don't have many interestings things to say these days. I'm always on the boards. I'm watching you Wazowski, always watching... :wink:
Archibald
Garbage Boy

Postby kdjets » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:58 pm

I messed up the spoiler tool. As you can see I'm new. Sorry. There are about three spoilers in here... [spoil]It blew me away! The scene that goes through Carl and Ellie's marriage was beautiful. My friends and I were shocked that Pixar decided that the couple would not be able to have children. The whole scene was very real-life and it was something I hadn't seen done so well in animation or anywhere else! The movie was as ground-breaking as WALL-E and had lovable characters such as Russel and Dug. Not to mention Carl was one of the best developed characters I've seen. And yes. I cried. Nearly perfect. Loved the scene where Muntz's obsession turns him into a madman.[/spoil]
kdjets

Postby thedriveintheatre » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:36 am

Well, I just watched Up this morning, and once again, Pixar has done it! I can't believe it, ten hits in a row, and counting, there's gotta be something special about this company... but then, we all knew that, don't we?

The thing about Pixar films is that it's just so hard to hate any of their films, they're just so charming and their characters so interesting. It is also very difficult to write a definitive review of any one of their films, and each bears repeated viewings to form a clearer opinion (I have not written a review for Wall-E for example, because there's just too much for me to talk about in a few hundred words). Having said that, their films can be enjoyed on all level, whether you're in for deeper meanings or just there for the ride.

And Up has got to be the ultimate thrill-ride of the year, whether animated or live-action! I will attempt to summarise my experience, but bear in mind, this is a kind of 'flow-of-thoughts' review, since it's very difficult to condense great movies in the usual 'Cast, Characters, Storyline' review format.

I will start with the characters, since that appeals to me the most from this movie. Up has also got to have the most endearing characters I've ever seen from Pixar, period. More so than even Cars perhaps, and close to the level of Wall-E. It's very difficult to find faults with any one of them. Even the villain, [spoil]Muntz, has a certain charisma to him, until he went mental towards the end, at least[/spoil]. My favourite remains Kevin, whose goofy outer appearance disguises her true intelligence as a perceptive and fast-thinking bird. Dug is just loveable as the 'runt' of the pack, picked on by the others, but remaining steadfastly loyal to his 'masters'. Carl and Russell, as the two main protagnists, have one of the strongest character backstories I've ever seen in a Pixar film, that is revealed just through their mannerisms and speech. Great metaphors abound, [spoil]Carl locking up his house and ultimately his heart to everyone, Russell's strong desire for that "last badge" to see his father again, Muntz being a reclusive hermit driven to obsession to clear his name.[/spoil] The heroes and baddies mirror and parallel each other (like any good movie should), [spoil]Carl being the opposite of Muntz, living reclusive lives in the hope of fulfilling their different dreams, Russell helping Carl come to terms with his desire of adventure through his boundless enthusiasm, bringing to mind Carl and Ellie's youthful optimism...[/spoil]

The action sequences are tremendously imaginative, our heroes [spoil]steering the house through a thunderstorm, outrunning a pack of dogs through a collapsing canyon, and the heart-stopping grand finale a few thousand feet above ground.[/spoil] The frustrating and exciting thing about Pixar's stories is that things have a habit of going pear-shaped very quickly, and if something wrong might happen, it most likely will. And trust me, Carl and Russell go through a lot of mishaps throughout their adventures. The final showdown is one of, if not, my ultimate favourite from the entire Pixar canon, purely for its sheer action-packed awesomeness. I mean, we got a [spoil]daring rescue, swordfight, dogfights (both aerial and canine) and even a shootout[/spoil] all within the space of a few minutes! The highlight for me has got to be [spoil]poor Russell hanging on for dear life from the firehose Die-Hard style![/spoil] :lol:

Overall, this is another winner for the annals, a rousing adventure and stunning tour-de-force that grabs you from the first frame (which was similar to [spoil]The Incredibles and Ratatouille[/spoil]'s opening sequence, by the way) and doesn't let you go till its bittersweet end. I didn't connect with it on the level of say, Wall-E or Ratatouille, but I don't remember a greater emotional roller-coaster than this for a long time. It'll make you cry (I teared in the opening scene) one minute and laugh the next, break your heart, then melt it into a puddle, and it's amazing how long since a movie did that to me. Pixar just keeps raising the bar, and this time, it has delivered a meditation on the finiteness of life, the true meaning of being a hero ("going above the call of duty"), and how sometimes the greatest adventure is in actually beginning one. And all wrapped up deceptively in a rollicking, exhilarating, h*ll of an adventure movie.

I thought I'd never say this, but to get an idea of how highly I think of this movie, I would rank it second after Wall-E and above Cars. This is truly a masterpiece of cinema, and one of the best films of the year. :)
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby wannabechef91 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:52 am

Well, this is mean that I can wear my Partly Cloudy sig back? :P
HARDCORE AWESOMENESS.
wannabechef91
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby thedriveintheatre » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:35 pm

Well, this could be mean that I can wear those my Partly Cloudy sig back?

Uh, if you ask me, I'd rather not. :| Firstly, I haven't watched it yet, cos' it wasn't shown at my screening. Secondly, even if I did watch it, there are people in other territories like the UK who have not had a theatrical release, so it's not just me you should shown concern towards.

I don't know... I really hate to sound like a bad guy, and I understand your enthusiasm for PC. But can you at least wait till 5th December when at least Japan has had a chance to see it theatrically? :? I'm not going to stop you from wearing it (partly because it has already been spoiled for me, and partly because I don't have the right to impose my rules upon you), but there are a lot more less-spoilerific sigs you can wear, so I'm wondering why it has to be this one...

I hope you don't take this the wrong way... again, I feel very bad for reprimanding you this way, but that's my honest opinion. :-( Hope you understand.
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby ffdude1906 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:40 pm

Excellent review TDIT, I loved reading it, even teared up a bit at how well you nailed some of the moments in there. I'm really glad it's taken a top spot in your list. I wasn't as partial to the action scenes in the movie as you were, I enjoy it much more for the emotion and the overall story, but that's great that the action sequences got to you so much. ;) I take it you plan on going again?
Image Up Count: T:50 - D+BD:17
ffdude1906
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Sky » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:02 am

This isn't an Up review, but I'm going to have to agree wholeheartedly with thedriveintheatre. Someone (I forget who) chose to wear a signature wth an image from Partly Cloudy where the stork is [spoil]wearing the football helmet and chest protection[/spoil], at least I'm pretty sure it was this forum that I saw that image in someone's signature. Why??? would you choose to wear a signature that gives away the end of a short that not everyone on this forum has had the chance to see?!

It kind of ruined it for me because before it even got to that part of the short in my showing, I'd already put 2 + 2 together. Next year I'll resolve to be even stricter with people wearing signatures and avatars that give away more than you could find out in the trailer. I know you want to express your fandom, but not everyone lives in the US and gets to see the short and feature at the same time as you might.
Sky
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby annarborjack » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:39 pm

Just saw it for the 2nd time at the dollar theater.I had a good time just like how I did the 1st time. :D
annarborjack
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby UP » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:08 am

Today I was in the "UP" 3D (ger. "Oben"), and the short Movie "Parttly Cloudy" (ger."Teilweise Wolkig") is really funny! The money was worth it!
My girlfriend and I found it sad and very funny and really exciting. We look forward to the DVD, which will be purchased in any instance, and buy something other than the Special Edition we do not! :D
30 September,2010 it´s coming 3D to Germany
27 May,2010 it´s Double Feature 3D Time

Yes, I have a fetish, I love small colorful animated figures ...:-)
UP
Ant

Postby CMB » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:20 am

I just saw UP the other night for the first time and i was impressed!!

I never really knew what exactly the story line was until i watched it and it put me at a loss of words.

The beginning was surprisingly sad, as well as a few parts in the middle of the flick including the bird getting trapped, but the way it all ended was just awesome!

The relationship between Russell and Carl was just amazing. Russell is definitely a character that grows quickly on the audience.

I don't want to make my review too long, so ill leave it short and sweet for those that haven't seen the movie yet.
:D

Typical Pixar masterpiece.
Image.
CMB
Toy Collector

Postby UP » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:24 am

CMB wrote:I just saw UP the other night for the first time and i was impressed!!

I never really knew what exactly the story line was until i watched it and it put me at a loss of words.

The beginning was surprisingly sad, as well as a few parts in the middle of the flick including the bird getting trapped, but the way it all ended was just awesome!

The relationship between Russell and Carl was just amazing. Russell is definitely a character that grows quickly on the audience.

I don't want to make my review too long, so ill leave it short and sweet for those that haven't seen the movie yet.
:D

Typical Pixar masterpiece.

You speak out of my mind ^ ^ :D
30 September,2010 it´s coming 3D to Germany
27 May,2010 it´s Double Feature 3D Time

Yes, I have a fetish, I love small colorful animated figures ...:-)
UP
Ant

PreviousNext

Return to Up