I just noticed a funny little reference Pixar put into Up.

Hey guys, I was just recently watching a clip from Up, and I noticed a little bit of audio that I heard from somewhere else, and made a little discovery…
For starters, here’s the clip from Up I’m referring to:
youtube.com/watch?v=nwPMKcYEkmw
(Warning, spoilers)
Pay attention to what’s being said on the TV when Carl is watching… The next Youtube clip will give away what Carl was really watching. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s the infomercial clip:
youtube.com/watch?v=ALob2IKOHD0
This is probably one of the funniest commercial “fails” ever. At about 20 seconds into the clip, I was actually surprised to hear the same thing that was heard in the clip.

Anyways, I felt like sharing my little discovery, cause I think it’s quite funny. Has anyone else noticed this before, or am I the first to point it out? Pixar has a little sense of humor. :laughing:

Haha, yeah, someone else posted a link to that in a different thread, though I can’t remember for the life of me who spotted it or in what thread they mentioned it in. Ultimate fail that guy is, definitely. :laughing:

Now that is epic failage right there. At first I thought it was a mistake because the presenter was standing behind the photo and perhaps couldn’t see it, but then he started pointing at the moth and saying it was a horse, lol. Great how Pixar worked that in there. It makes me wonder if a Pixarian saw that clip on YouTube then suggested it be used in Up.

That would be eatswithwolves in the “New Up clip on MSN” thead. He/she has only written one post, but it’s the biggest in-joke discovery for Up yet. :wink:

So you’ve watched the “Horse” clip before, Disney_Guy? Wow, you must have a good memory to remember that (although it’s pretty memorable for being one of the biggest boo-boos on shopping channel).

What I find more amusing is that Carl’s expression never changes even after the guy showed the “butterfly” picture. :laughing: Poor gramps must be so spaced-out by media saturation, he didn’t notice.

Haha yeah, I’ve seen it before. When I watched that clip, the sound was so familiar so it got me thinking… Then I was like “Oh yeah!!” then looked up that infomercial clip on Youtube to see if it is indeed the same clip from the movie, and it was!

Haha, it would be funny if they did that on purpose just to show how sour his attitude is. :stuck_out_tongue:

They probably put it in there intentionally after seeing it and finding it hilarious.

… but a butterfly is a horse, isn’t it? Hey, isn’t it? … why has everyone gone silent all of a sudden?

I’m sure Pixar is at it again sneaking in modern cultural references. And that’s what I love them - because they pay the closest attention, even sneaking in a reference of a shopping network.

it’s so cool, they really did a good job represent an old man doing nothing with his life yknow… :laughing:

:laughing: Because of you, I’m the only one in the theater who laughed at that moment. I don’t think anyone else caught on. :wink:

Even if no one got the reference there, having an old man sitting there watching an infomercial about a digital camera with 4X optical zoom and SD card was still a nice commentary on how disconnected Carl must feel with modern society. :slight_smile:

I laughed for like an hour after seeing that. He tried to cover it up pretty bad, didn’t he?

Hahahahhaaha!!! No way! That’s awesome. Pixar is hyserical! To put that in Up is just genius, wow. Hahha. Amazing find!

My what a lovely horse!

Actually, when I heard the commercial on the clip, I thought that Pixar had brought in the ShamWOW guy to do a little bit for them.

Guess not.

That is great :laugh:

Oh wow. That commercial made my night. A horse. Seriously. Too funny. :laugh:

I love Pixar even more for putting that in Up. :smiley:

That may seriously be the funniest thing I’ve ever seen. I have been cracking up at that line in Up ever since the clip came out, now I know where it came from.

Haha!! Great discovery, Disney_Guy! That was hilarious. Thanks for sharing. :smiley:

Heh, when I saw Up in theaters, I totally thought about that fail blog clip.

Thats hilarious! I would feel so embaressed if I was that guy and heard my voice in up for my fail to be heard for the world. Though I’m sure they got where ever that clips from’s permision.

Haha! That’s hilarious! Look at the teeth, look at the hooves. Wow. Next time I see up I’m gonna find that scene even funnier.

LOL, yeah I figured that out too! :laughing: I was kinda disappointed that Pete Docter and Bob Peterson didn’t bring it up on the DVD commentary during that scene so more people would know about it. Just goes to show the kind of power the internet and YouTube can have on some movies in today’s world.

That’s hilarious! Look at the teeth, look at the hooves.