Release date in Australia

Does anyone know the ACTUAL release date for this film in Australia?

IMDB says Sept 3.
imdb.com/title/tt1049413/releaseinfo

Rotten Tomatoes says Jun 12
au.rottentomatoes.com/m/up/

I’d really like RT to be right, frankly.

It was originally going to be released for June 12 but got pushed back to September 3. RT hasn’t changed it since. I know, I know, it sucks, and we’re all moaning about it (turn your attention to the separate thread).

I wouldn’t trade Australia for anything else, but at times like these I wish I was living in the US.

I really can’t see the logic behind this at all. The theatre complexes argue that this way they can “maximise” ticket sales, but in reality all they do is encourage piracy.

By June 6 I’ll do a torrent search for UP and I guarantee I’ll find one. And not some “handicam in a theatre” version, but a full digital transfer.

Edited by Rachel

Warning - while there is no harm at looking at the link I just posted, if you proceed any further (ie - try to actually download a file) you may be liable to prosecution. And there is NO guarantee that you are really downloading the actual movie, many virus programs have been distributed this way.

Yeah, the school holiday thing doesn’t actually work for the release date here either. It misses the October half term completely so releasing a film like Up in the middle of term time does not bode well.

I dunno, I’m fed up of complaining because I can’t see how we can make any difference. Perhaps I’m being defeatist but I’m just trying to look on the bright side- at some point this year we’ll be able to see Up! So I guess that’ll have to do for now. :laughing:

But you have to admit, moaning about it does make you feel a bit better. 8D I think it’s also released here a few weeks before the school holidays, too. It’s always been that way… Oh wells, one day this year we’ll see Up.

As I mentioned earlier, here’s the photo of the standee I saw with the wrongly-advertised release date. I managed to ask one of my friends to take a pic with his mobile phone last Thursday, when we went as a group to watch Star Trek at the George Street Cinema (the most famous theatre in Sydney city, they hold film premieres there). I knew of the September 3rd release date but was surprised to see it advertised as “June”.

Looks like the Australian Film Commission mucked-up big-time! :imp:

Look on the bright side - we’ll have to wait three weeks longer for the Up release here in Germany, and by the time the Japanese can “go Up”, Carl’s house will have snow on the roof… :wink:

thedriveintheatre- If I were you, I would’ve got a nice, big fat marker pen and written over where it says ‘June’. :laughing: But I guess that could be considered vandallism of public property or something.

I went to watch Star Trek a while back (like TDIT, except not at GU, but Hoyts) and got a glimpse of a squarish pop-out Up advert while waiting for the cinema to be cleaned. They covered up a portion of the advert - obviously it was the changed date they covered.

Sounds like the staff are super-super-super lazy over there :stuck_out_tongue:

WTH? :angry: You mean they may not even get a release? :frowning:

Are you serious? :open_mouth: Well, I reckon I’d be rushing for my final year project around then, so no dice, I’m afraid. :cry: But if you’re seriously, like, taking an incidental trip and you happen to watch Up early, do let us know what you think, 'kay? If not, well, good luck with an advanced screening! :wink:

Well, just about every day I’ve been Googling for advance/preview screenings in Australia, but haven’t found anything. “Up” is a pretty hard term to search for anyway… but if I do find any screenings, then you can bet your sweet behind I’ll either make a post or thread about them and how to obtain tickets. You should sign up to the Greater Union Cinebuzz Club. Last year that club had a charity advance screening and the way I knew about it was through an email notice they sent me. Do they have Hoyts in NSW? If they do I guess you could sign up to the movie club they have there and see if they send you anything.

I can’t wait for it to come out here, haven’t heard anything about advanced screenings yet.

Wait… state-specific release dates?
I hate Disney’s Australian distribution so so much.

Ah, so you’re Down Under too, unbreakable? :wink: Welcome aboard, mate!

Ditto on that, watkiknzez. Welcome to the forums, too!

I just checked my Cinebuzz account a few minutes ago, and I saw this under the ‘Offer and Specials’ tab.

I tried clicking on the ‘Book Tickets Now’ link and was taken to its ‘Coming Soon’ page instead of the online ticketing system. As far as I could tell, there’s no way to book tickets even though they say it’s available (unless I missed a link or something). Any Sydneysiders who are members of GU’s Cinebuzz club able to access the ‘Book Tickets’ link?

Welcome back is more appropriate. This is my annual “complain about Pixar release dates” crusade. :stuck_out_tongue:
Oh well, at least we have Ponyo before then.

Hm… well I haven’t met you before, so nice to meet you! BTW, Ponyo was released in Japan one year ago, and in Singapore at the beginning of the year. Heck, even the Yanks get it one week earlier than us (but we’re better than the Brits who can only watch it next year!). Stupid staggered release dates.

Are you able to find an advanced screening in your area?

TDIT - I believe the link will be available once we are able to book tickets for those times (I believe 1 week in advance?). I tried that link, but no avail. It’s great there’s a special screening on! :smiley:

Try this link. GU really need to improve on their site navigation.

That said, advanced screening whoo!

Rachel! I better be the first person you talk to about it after you go! HA! You seriously need to let me know what you thought ASAP.

watkinzez - Thank you, thank you! It works! I’m trying to see which of my friends wants to tag along with me… awesome! Thanks a lot!