Traditional? Digital? ....3D?

Which technology will bring you "Up"?

• Traditional Film
  • Digital
  • Digital 3D

0 voters

Maybe 20 years ago it was easier to see a movie. You went to your local theatre, bought a ticket for what was playing (you really didn’t have other options), and enjoyed the show.

Today, friends, we live in an era of transition. A transition from film to digital to 3D and beyond. The multiplexes have spoiled us. So I ask: how will you enjoy Pixar’s 10th feature? Don’t forget, I believe the trailer for Pixar’s upcoming Toy Story 3 is showing only at the Digital and Digital 3D screenings.

For me, I have yet to see a film in these new digital 3D outlets. People tell me it worth the extra five bucks or so. Anyway, we have one in our area, so I’m going for it! :smiley:

I absolutely love digital 3-d! :smiley: If there’s a movie in 3-D, I have to go see it that way. I think you should see it in 3-D Gasduude, especially if it’s your first digital 3-D experience!

Depends on if they’re having a preview screening here and if that’s in 3-D or normal, so I’ll just have to take what I can get. I’d like to see it in 2D first then 3D, preferably. I’d like to see it IMAX, but ours closed down here a few years ago. Oh well. It made me feel sick anyway.

I’ll see it in both 2D and 3D, so I can compare the two.

But at the end of the day, I think 2D or 3D does not really matter. It’s all about storytelling, and that’s where Pixar always delivers.
So regardless of the projection technology it’s gonna be lots and lots of fun! :smiley:

There needs to be a ‘both’ option. :laughing:

If possible, I plan on it seeing it in 3D and in 2D, but it seems like at our local cinema, if a film is released in 3D then there aren’t any 2D showings until much, much later on- sometimes weeks later. So anyone wanting to see Up is being forced to pay £10, as there isn’t a cheaper option, which I think is a shame.

Better yet, ‘all three’. :wink:

If it’s available in Digital or Traditional, I’d go see the former. Trust me, it’s like HD, once you’ve seen it, you wondered why pictures didn’t look this crisp before. None of those annoying reel blotches and blemishes (unless you’re a traditionalist who likes a little ‘imperfection’ to the quality of the screener).

Better yet if it’s in Digital 3-D, cos’ I’m curious to see what they’ll play with the perspectives and all that.

So I didn’t vote anything yet. :slight_smile:

Well, although I love digital projection, film is STILL better. It has brighter brights and darker darks. Film inherently has more contrast and many times more resolution than digital. Sadly, film gets dirty if not taken care of (or if you don’t see it opening night!).

And as far as 3D goes, even the best 3D image as currently projected and viewed through goggles dims the image roughly 30% according to all sources.

Why would anyone want to see a Pixar film dilluted this way?

Obviously not the critics. Most of them, while appreciating the 3D, state in their reviews that the 2D version is far better.

I’ll be seeing both versions of the film, first in 3-D so as I can give the glasses another chance and see the Toy Story 3 teaser trailer concurrently, and then in 2-D for free… since I work at a theater and, therefore, get to see the non-3-D films free of charge.

To be completely honest, I’m one of those “anti-3-D” people who hates adorning those stupid glasses just to see a projected sequence of images that hurts my eyes and dilutes the original colors in the film. Each time I’ve watched a production in 3-D, I never really noticed a difference and ended up paying a couple bucks extra for technology that wasn’t worth the cost. To add insult to injury, the freakin’ glasses aren’t reusable. (Well, actually, they are, but, apparently, the industry makes more money if you pay for the glasses each time.) Member totoro makes a good point in that it’s the quality of the story, not the image, that’s the important thing. How is advanced technology going to enhance the plot-line? Ridiculous. This is simply my opinion of course, but, yeah, I hate it. :stuck_out_tongue:

– Mitch

So in summary:

• With traditional you get “brighter brights, and darker darks”, plus the familiarity and warmth of film. You won’t get the Toy Story 3 trailer, however.

• With Digital you’re getting a more crisp picture and the TS3 trailer. But you lose the benefits of traditional film’s broader brightness spectrum.

• With Digital 3D (or Disney Digital 3D, as the Mouse calls it) you get the extra-dimensional gimmics (could be con to some), and the TS3 trailer but lose large amounts of luminessence.

So yeah, looks like you’ll need to see Up in all three viewing technologies to get the maximum experience. Maybe everyone here will find a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow in the next 24 hours. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m starting to lean in the direction of a regular digital showing. Up is just too colorful of a film to lose 20% of the beauty.

I’m a big fan of 3D so I definitely want to see it in 3D! Of course, I’ll probably see it in 2D as well, but I think it makes for a better movie experience because you feel like you’re in the movie w/ the characters …although, I will agree with totoro in that without the storytelling, seeing a movie in 3D wouldn’t make a difference. (But I don’t think UP will have that problem =P)

Wouldn’t you rather see the film as the film makers intended, with all it’s color in tact?

If you see it in 3D, you won’t.

I plan on seeing Up in 2D and then 3D. I just hope they don’t try to over emphasize the fact that it’s in 3D. (Like the paddleball in the beginning of Monsters v. Aliens)

I have seen it in 2D and will be seeing it again in 2D less than 24 hours from now! I have never seen a 3D film in theaters so I am going to make a point to see Up in 3D. The closest theater to show it in 3D is about an hour away though, but I’m willing to make the drive.

AJD08: I don’t think they have anything blatant in there. When I watched Monsters vs Aliens in 2D, I could tell which scenes were made for 3D. When I watched Up, I didn’t see anything that stood out. I think we’re pretty safe with Pixar doing it tactfully. :slight_smile:

I don’t have a 3D theater in my town, but I have an appointment in a bigger city about 60 miles away tomorrow, so I will be seeing it in 3D!

I’ll be seeing it in 3D for my first viewing. Next time around, however, I’m definitely planning on seeing the film in 2D. :wink:

I’ve never seen anything on 3D nor digital.

I don’t know how I will see this thing. Probably 3D. Or maybe first in traditional film and then 3D.

I love the idea of 3D, of watching a movie like watching thorgh a window… but… I don’t want to wear two glasses for watching a Pixar film. Maybe I’d feel uncomfortable.

Hey guys,

Sorry, I am somewhat alive LOL. (I got laid off back in February so I haven’t really been online much.)

My friend and I are planning to see UP tonight at our local theatre and I am so psyched! :smiley: I just have a question for you all. Do you all know if this movie is going to be presented in IMAX format? We were hoping on not only seeing it in Disney Digital 3-D (there are available screenings at our theatre) but in IMAX as well.

Please let me know asap if you know.

Thanks,
accio

I don’t believe there are any plans to release Up on IMAX. The theaters with IMAX screens are currently showing Night at the Museum and/or Star Trek.

As far as the original question goes, I’ve been making the 45 minute drive to see it in 3D, mainly because I won’t be able to do so once the film is out of theaters. Digital projection is probably the most true to the original vision, but I figure I’ll be able to experience that on Blu-Ray over and over again. I peeked into the traditional projection and the picture was a bit softer.

However, when I recommend the film to casual fans, I tell them to go for whatever is most convenient since it’s really the story that really pulls you in.

I just decided I want to see it in non-stereo for the firts time, and then go for the stereo imagery. I prefer color over depth :laughing:

I saw “Up” in the traditional 2D, as I do with all animated films. I don’t need those silly ol’ special effects popping out of my screen (Also–I don’t know if it’s just me–but I find 3D flicks nauseating ). Those glasses just don’t work for me, especially since I have a large pair already on.
I’m with Mitch as being one of those anti-3D folks. For the most part, I see it as an unnecessary technology that rarely adds anything to the film-viewing experience.