24 Hour TV show

Holy Moly! Pixar will be on Japan’s 24 Hour TV show here in Japan. It’s the mother of all charity events in Japan. Mr. John Lasseter was on prime time TV Sunday night June 28, 2009. He was alone holding a T-shirt . He doesn’t mention which illustrator designed the T-shirt, but it’s for sale in Japan to raise money for this event. On the T-shirt, there is a character Zuzu, an old TV, hanging on balloons with strings like Carl Fredricksen’s house hanging on balloons, but not that many balloons. Anyway, there was a very short UP movie clip tie in. Everyone who’s anyone volunteers for this show. You see the best, the most popular ‘talents’ on this charity event. All the celebrities will wear this T-shirt on the show and there will be thousands of them all across Japan including the locals. The money raised from this event is for anyone who needs help around the world. In Japan, UP will be in theaters December. The 24 Hour charity event will be on TV August 29th and 30th and the T-shirt will be on sale from July 3rd sold out in hours because the T-shirt is that cute or ka-wa-i in Japanese.

I’ve just checked the 24 Hour TV show website and there is nothing about Pixar yet.
Here is the site.
ntv.co.jp/24h/

After twenty-four hours Pixar and UP will be in everybody’s mind, especially old folks, because everybody watches this show from cities to villages. I would like to see John-san on this charity TV event in the first minutes marketing the T-shirt and UP again or a live video feed from PIXAR studios. No one who volunteers their time on this show is recorded. It’s all live. The show usually starts around 6:00 or 7:00 pm Saturday, that’s 2:00 or 3:00 am Friday PIXAR studio time.

O-MO-SHI-RO-I! That means WOW with two thumbs UP in Japanese.

O-MO-SHI-RO-I indeed! That sounds awesome! I’ll have to check that out. If anyone gets a chance to catch that, try to get a recording or something.

That’s really cool! Brilliant publicity for John Lasseter, Pixar and Up, certainly. Thanks for telling us about that, Rey.

Wow, I never heard of a 24 hour TV show. Still awesome Pixar is doing this for a good cause. Thanks for the Up-date, Rey! If anyone in Japan or elsewhere obtains a recording, please post a link to it online so we can have a watch! Super-happy-go-go, fat Hawaii-shirt man! :smiley:

Sugoiiiii! Miyazaki must’ve pulled some strings for that one. Hopefully come December the Japanese will remember Lasseter’s appearance and go see Up! I’d also like to see footage of this telethon. =)

ffdude1906 and thedriveintheatre, y’all in the house? Drum roll. TA DAH! This is the T-shirt Mr. Lasseter was talking about for the 24 Hour charity event telethon. Pete Doctor, Jonas Rivera, and Albert Lozano were the design team. ZUZU the TV is a new character. It has Russell’s eyes from UP, I think. Mr. Lasseter says TV gives information but it also has feelings. It’s happy, fun, and sad. Nihon TV network company asked Mr. John Lasseter to design this years T-shirt. Mr. Lasseter asks the pop group NEWS to make people happy during the charity event and NEWS say they will.

You hear people saying KA-WA-I and SUGOIIIIII in the background. You called it Rachelcakes. Mr. Lasseter doesn’t look the same with a jacket over his trademark Hawaiian shirts. He looks thinner don’t you think? lizardgirl, this publicity by PIXAR could make them be the next big trend in Japan. I hope there will be PIXAR goods shops in the near future.

youtube.com/watch?v=TfDf8LalrqA

That was a great clip - thanks, Rey! 8D

Japanese TV is so much more exciting and random. I can even understand bits of it - at the end they say “we’ll try our best!” and something about cute characters earlier on… Why did JL walk out of the room? The design for the t-shirt is really neat. I hope they sell a lot of them.

rachelcakes1985

JL walked out of the room because the translator says you better start now and JL says you’re right. The NEWS member never says start right away. I think this was a scripted scenario by JL and the translator. The two NEWS singers don’t know what’s going on.

Silly Japan and their TV shows. Awesome clip though. Those shirts are really cool, it’s nice of Pixar to pitch in for that.

Thanks for the heads-up and especially the clip link, Rey. Just watched and enjoyed it. I like the little staged things with Lassiter (like telling him to hurry and get to work). Also, couldn’t help but grin that the size of the T-shirt Lassiter first holds up next to him is American-sizing (big), but the ones sent to Japan seem to be Japanese sizing. Do you know how much the T-shirts are, and where they can be purchased from? Can you get them at Lawson etc, or just through the telethon?

And hey, we got to hear one line each of the seiyuu for Up’s main characters (have there been any dubbed trailers shown in Japan yet?)

If you know, does that include money for Japanese charities as well, such as for homeless or DV in Japan?

For those who don’t know, NTV (Japanese TV network) and Studio Ghilbi have good ties (for instance, Ghibli did NTV’s anniversary logos a few years back, if I remember right).

If you mean open the door at the beginning, that was to be theatrical and surprise them. As soon as he opens the door and says HELLO! the guys outside react with “Whoa! Bikkuri Shita!” (Whoa! You surprised me!) If you mean later when he walks away from the camera, it’s because one of the NEWS guys asks if he’d create a new character for the show… Lassiter says of course, he intends to create a cute character… so someone off camera jokes and tells him to hurry and get to work then.

Thanks again for the clip. Pretty funny.

Arigatou for the translations, Rey and joehisa!

Deviating from the script in Japanese TV show, noooooooo!

joehisa wrote

ntv.co.jp/24h/contents/english.html

I hope this answers your question.

Word on the street is that the 24 hour T-shirt with Zuzu on it is now on sale at Maxvalu supermarket, which is part of the Aeon shopping mall group. Maxvalu supermarket is open 24 hours. aeonretail.jp/maxvalu/index.html
Shirt sizes start at SS(kids size) to LL(just a little under mens XL US size). They come in yellow, pink, and grey.

There is nothing on the internet yet or on print about the Pixar designed T-shirt. I think its word of mouth only. It cost 1500yen about 15.80dollars US each. I’m going to buy the yellow one just before midnight because afterwards I have to run to the 24hour video rental store after midnight and be one of the first ones to rent out the Ponyo movie on DVD. I’ll keep an update 24/6 on the T-shirt stuff and any news about Pixar appearances before, during, and after the telethon.

That’s a pretty affordable price for a t-shirt, Rey, and it’s good that kids through adults will be able to buy them and it’s a subtle way of showing that you like Pixar. :wink:

Thanks for the scoop and all the info, Rey. Enjoy your T-shirt, and let us know how it is! (Thanks for the reminder about Ponyo too. Have to order the R2 DVD…)

24hour Television has chosen Ayako Imoto for this years runner. She will be wearing the Zuzu T-shirt for 24 hours. She has to run three marathons in 24 hours. That’s just crazy. But, she’s that crazy, funny, and she speaks her mind in a funny way. She keeps things light during her TV adventure shows around the world. Just last week she climbed to the top of Kilimanjaro in Africa. That took TV two episodes to watch, but it actually took four days to climb the mountain. And last night she went to the Philippines and went island hopping around Bohol Island searching for a wombat. She flew an airplane around Cebu Island without a license because you can fly a Cessna plane without a license there. She is that gung ho. She has those trade mark Groucho Marx like painted eyebrows, ponytails, high school uniform, and ‘say what?’ voice. Way back when, there were translators, lead pop singers, artists, actors, groups of single young people hosting these ‘travel’ shows. Anyway, she is the newest face in the spirit of adventure among a lot of other travel TV shows here in Japan.

youtube.com/watch?v=dWq7vCY65WI

joehisa
I bought two Zuzu T-shirts. They are still in their bags. All the L sizes were sold out after I checked the next day at two different supermarkets.

That girl certainly has a lot of energy. Her travel show looks really interesting, like when she races the cheetah and komodo dragon. =)