UP fans in odd places!

I didn’t see an obvious thread in which to put this, but had to report…

I had the PGA golf on CBS on tv in the background this afternoon when something caught my ear, and I ran the DVR back to catch this. (I love the DVR!) British golfer Nick Faldo is a commentator for CBS. They were showing and describing a computer-graphic aerial of the 18th hole, and here’s what Nick said:

“Here’s a little graphic as we come down through the trees… Squirrel! I hope you’ve all seen ‘Up.’ What a great movie! But, that’s the view from - if you were a squirrel - from the trees.”

I couldn’t believe this! It was so random - for him to just throw that in out of the blue! Has anyone else heard any unexpected mentions of “Up,” on TV or elsewhere?

It would be a shame if it were just a product placement… :frowning:

That’s strange. I never would have thought that a golf commentator would have seen UP, much less make a reference to it live on TV. Who woulda’ thunk?

As for UP references in my daily life, I hear people talking about it every once in a while as I walk around doing my business, but I don’t have any exact examples.

I ask friends and acquaintances that I see at work about it all the time. I basically ask them, they respond, I tell them how much I love it, flash my watch count, they stare/freak out, and I talk about Pixar. :stuck_out_tongue: A few people (mostly girls) respond with THAT"S THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER! to which I go I KNOW RIGHT?! IT"S AMAZING!

sorry for the shouting, I’m a spaz sometimes

I’m sure it wasn’t, just by the casual way he tossed it off. My initial reaction was, “Did he just say ‘Squirrel’? Did he just mention what I think he did?” I had to run back the DVR a couple of times just to get what he said. Even the way he said “Squirrel” wasn’t mimicking the characters, it was just sort of tossed out there on impulse. They will do obviously scripted mentions/promos of upcoming network shows, but this was nothing like that. (Oh, and with golf being a “slow” sport, it’s not uncommon for the announcers to make some off-topic banter/chit-chat.)

Given the number of “non-traditional” audience members I’ve seen at the film (senior citizens, teens, couples without kids), I think there are a lot of unlikely Up fans out there. :smiley:

That’s pretty cool, I’d love to see a clip of that. Something that surprised me today, when I went again, is how many people showed up to the movie! There must have been like 20 people in the theater. It made me pretty freaking happy, I love it when a lot people are there. Pixar deserves that sort of thing, 5 weeks after release, and still a good crowd. This particular crowd was pretty awesome, there was a middle-aged man that laughed at pretty much every part that could be laughed at. I like it when that kinda stuff happens, makes me enjoy the movie with them.

That’s cool, karly05, I know what you mean about getting excited whenever a Pixar film is mentioned in a random place. :laughing: I did have a discussion with my friends when the first Up poster was put up in the cinema last week, but that isn’t very unexpected. Though I guess the fact that a lot of my friends seemed very keen on the idea of seeing it was definitely unexpected!

My city has an annual day where they do chalk drawings all around the library, and there was a really good one of Kevin and Dug saying, “Where is the bird?”

Awww, that sounds cute! :smiley:

I was looking through my friend’s photos on facebook and they drew a whole tribute to Kevin :laughing: . They were probably the last person on the planet who I thought would go see Up and actually enjoy it!