The final week

Well, it’s been a long and magical 6 weeks of Up, but the end is just 2 days away for me. My awesome Pixar buddy Gates (she came to my awesome marathon) has decided to join me for my 25th final theatrical viewing on Thursday. I really wanna do something special, I know I’m gonna take pics of the final adventure, but something exciting and crazy, like walk in with like 25 balloons or something. I want it to be memorable. Sure I’ll look like a complete dork, but hey, embarrassing myself for the sake of Pixar fandom is fine with me. Besides, there’s not much more of my reputation I can damage, I’m a complete geek already.

When it’s all over, I’m gonna be pretty bummed out, I’ll have to wait about 3 months before I get to see it again in a good form. I might even cry :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been thinking about watching all the movies again sequentially throughout tomorrow and Thursday morning, finishing it off with Up. I did happen to doze off for a few minutes during Cars and Nemo before, so I can redo that.

Any ideas on what I could do for the final voyage?

Wow, 25 times in cinemas? :open_mouth: That’s quite a feat! Then again, with you, you seem to be pulling of miracles on a regular basis. :stuck_out_tongue:

I dunno, maybe wear a homemade T-shirt saying “I’ve watched Up 25 times in theatres” or something? Or cosplay as Carl and Russell? Or Kevin? :laughing:

Sorry, well… uh… maybe you can bring an Up plushie if you have one. Then, instead of ordering for your friend, you can tell the cashier, “I’ll have two tickets please, the other’s for Dug here.” plonks plushie on counter

Have fun for the final trip to Tepui! :slight_smile:

TDIT, yeah, in all seriousness, Up’s really been changing a lot in my life. I pretty much owe it to Pixar to go so much and contribute to their box office success. It started with just liking the movie. Then, I starting falling in love with it, and realized that I wanted to see it as many times as possible. Soon after that, (around the third or fourth time), my mom showed me the shorts DVD that my dad bought the week before.

After I watched it, I pretty much transformed. After going through all the features on it, I realized “holy crap, I really wanna go into this!” That was my defining moment in Pixar fandom. I turned into a complete Pixar junkie. Watching that DVD put a lot of great stuff spread over so many years into perspective for me, I didn’t realize how much greatness came from the little company back then. The whole bit about Lasseter sleeping under his desk waiting for Luxo to render, seems like something I’d do :slight_smile:

Pretty soon after that, I set my goal for 10 trips. After I hit that, 2.5 weeks in, I realized that it was still gonna be here for quite a while. So I kept going.

and going

and going

I joined here somewhere after 12 times, maybe 13, and I couldn’t be happier to find such a great community who’s so passionate about these movies. It really helped me fit in, and I kinda freaked out for a while the first few days (hehe, I tend to do that when I join a community, I can be a bit overbearing) going on ridiculous posting sprees and doing everything wrong. :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve settled in now though, and I’m really comfortable here, and grateful to find so many great people in one place.

Then one fateful Sunday afternoon, I decided to start some fanart for once. I was hoping that I could make something that resembled one of the characters in the movie, so I went for Carl, since he’s pretty different in the first place, as well as my favorite. I drew his hand before work, in about 30 minutes, and it turned out really great, so I went to work feeling really good about coming home to work on it some more. I couldn’t have imagined what I was about to do.

After I got home from work, I started talking to my old old friend’s little sister Gates (interesting name, I know) on facebook. I started professing my guilty little pleasure of seeing Up 13 times to her, as I had to everyone else on facebook before, to which she started telling me about her previous escapades into disney-nerddom. Turns out, she’s also a huge Pixar fan, and is huge into collecting Disney pins. I kept working on my drawing throughout the night, while talking to her on fb, and the drawing just kept growing and growing. At one point, at about 3 a.m., I went and woke my mom up to show her the majority of Carl’s head, but she was too tired to realize what she was looking at. Gates decided to go watch the sunrise from the playground at an elementary school about 2 blocks from both of our houses at around 5:30 a.m. She returned, telling me about a spoon she found, and I showed her my finished product. I was freaking out hardcore. Gates ended up being a pretty awesome friend in addition, I talk to her pretty often now. She actually showed up at work tonight, and I talked to her about Thursday for about 5-6 minutes (hehe, almost got in trouble for talking outside too long). She asked if she could go, and I was like "Heck yes! Bring it! high five "

My mom woke up about the time I finished my drawing, and I showed it to her. After looking at it for a few minutes, she couldn’t stop laughing about it, out of shock. We were both blown away with what I had done. I’d post my other artwork, but it’s a bit scary,… It’s like an entirely different person drew this. I started to get the idea that I was getting kind of pushed in this new direction in my life. It’s almost surreal how much stuff was pointing me towards Pixar. Crazy stuff.

Then came the Pixar Marathon. I had planned on doing it sometime around when I saw the shorts DVD, but I only wanted to do it by myself. Then I sorta researched how long it was gonna take (17 hours) and figured I’d do it eventually. Several weeks later, after 18 (funny, that’s Carl’s address), I finally decided to pull it off. I invited everyone on facebook, but only 3 people showed up. However, to my surprise, they all stuck it out for as long as possible, and made it all the way to the end (sorta, Gates had to leave at midnight, about halfway through Ratatouille, and Christian had to leave for his paper route at the beginning of Wall•E, but my other friend Chris stayed the whole time). It was really awesome of them to stick it out, and I realized how much they wanted to hang with me and just watch all these great movies. It was really cool to find out how much they appreciated me and Pixar.

Since then, not too much excitement has happened, but I will point out one thing. After the 2nd or 3rd time watching Up, I started having a complete change in disposition. I’ve been known to be a bit of a pessimist, glass half empty, always concerned about being criticized by other people, paranoid, you get what I mean, but after Up, that really started to change. I’ve been a heck of a lot more positive about pretty much everything in my life, I’ve been more friendly (which is pretty tough, I try my best to be nice to people), work has been phenomenally easier to cope with (I started back at the job I had 3 months before, and had quit back then because I couldn’t handle all the drama and stress, and needed to finish school. My first day back was about 4 days after my first viewing, and 2 days after my 2nd), and I’ve been thinking a lot less about other people’s criticisms towards me. It’s transformed my very being, and made me a better person. It might sound weird and ridiculous, but I’m being totally and utterly serious about it. I’ve become a much happier person because of this movie.

It’s strange how a simple, beautiful movie can touch a person so deeply that it changes their entire life. Up has done that for me, and I have Pixar to thank for it. I’d be honored to work towards a position with them someday, and maybe pay them back for this wonderful gift they’ve given me. It’s incredible what this movie has done for me, its gonna be really sad to see it leave theaters. I just hope someone else out there takes as much inspiration as I have from it. It’s been a wonderful experience, and I couldn’t wish any harder for someone else to get that same great experience from it.

Thanks Pixar, and sorry for being so long-winded and grandiose about this post guys, just letting it all out. :slight_smile:

Oh, and btw, I loved your idea about “paying for Dug”, I’d do that if I had a plushie, but alas, no Up swag for me yet. I’ll figure something out.

Why just 25 viewings? I watched Wall-E 26(?) times, then another at a multiplex 10 miles away, then 2 more at a drive in theater, then another at an Academy review at Dolby Labs, then another at a library screening for kids, then finally one a month ago where Ben Burtt introduced the movie (what a treat!) at one of those ‘outdoor in the park’ summer thingees. Is Up going out in your local theater? It’s the #6 movie in the country this week, still.

Wall-E lasted from June 27th to late September in my area, which is admittedly huge, with dozens of multiplexes. I watched it twice a week, then after it got a bit dull since I had been listening to the soundtrack too many times, I quit listening to the cd, except to provide input to the ‘Wall-E Soundtrack’ thread. So its been a whole year now, and hasn’t been more than 3 months between public viewings.

That’s a tad bit different. You had a lot more time to get that in, I’ve been going 4 times a week, 5 this week. It’s been here for 6 weeks total. I’m pretty bummed that tomorrow (today, where I am, it’s 3 a.m.) is the last day it’s in theaters. I’m kinda scared what’s gonna happen when I go without it for a few weeks, I might seriously go into withdrawals,… :\

Oof, Up withdrawals can be the worst…pretty soon you’ll be tying balloons to your place of residence, communicating with the local dogs, and going door to door trying your hardest for that last “Assisting the Elderly” badge.

:wink:

Seriously, though, it’s cool to hear someone else absolutely loves this film, too. Long live the UPsessed! :smiley:

And I’d say go for the balloons. My older brother, his friends, and I brought balloons to the midnight showing of Up, and we got applause. There’s something really magical about walking into a theater sporting 20+ balloons. It makes you feel like a little kid again!

Hehe, yeah. I’ll probably end up going door to door like you said :stuck_out_tongue: That’s awesome that you got applause for bringing balloons! I don’t think I could garner that much positive attention during the 6th week out, but who knows, it’s worth a shot.

Just 5 hours left til the movie starts (roughly) :.

Well, we ended up pushing back the show time, 4:15, but wow, what a fantastic day. Here’s my basic summary

10:00- Having been up for roughly 2 hours, my mom calls my cellphone from her job, tells me to run home and feed my dog. I left my friend’s house at around 20 after. I began to ponder things I could do to make the movie spectacular.

10:30-Arrive at my house. I take the dog outside, feed him, then run upstairs to find a plain white t-shirt. I go back downstairs, find a sharpie, print off a pic of the Up logo, and proceeded to work on my shirt. Finished about 20 minutes later. I then call my mother while heading back to my car, and tell I’m coming by to show her “something” (the shirt).

11:00- I arrive at my mother’s work, walk in, and show it to her. She’s amused, and I tell her my idea to tie balloons to my car while I’m in the movie. She attempts to contact the local party goods store, but no one answers. I head for my friend’s house.

11:30- I arrive at my friends house, check fb, twitter, dA, and here, ask him if we’re going to Game XChange, he continues to sleep. I begin heading to the party store.

12:00- I arrive at the store, and have a rather long-winded conversation with the cashier there, she was really friendly. I inform them of my order, get the price, and head to Gates’s house.

12:30-I arrive at Gates’s house, and tell her about pushing the movie back to 4:15, show her my shirt, and tell her about the balloons. I ended up staying there for about 2 and a half hours, just talking, looking at her Disney pins, and geeking out about Pixar, Disney, video games, etc. I head home at about 3-ish

3:00-I take a shower, let my dog out for the bathroom, and start taping my day. I head back towards Gates’s house to pick her up. I then receive a phone call from my mother. She informs me that she called the movie theater, and convinced the manager to let me bring the balloons, actually INSIDE the theater. Completely shocked, she says we’re gonna meet at the balloon shop. I head that way.

3:30- I go in the balloon shop, and they employees work on inflating my plethora of balloons. As a last minute thought, I ask for a light blue one, and a marker. I then proceed to write “Spirit of Adventure” on said blue balloon. We take the huge cluster of inflatables and head outside. I lost a yellow one, but they were nice enough to replace it for me. My mom and Gates head for the theater while I get my replacement and follow them.

4:10- We arrive at the theater. My mother, as well as a somewhat large group of employees decide to take video and pictures of me posing in front of posters and signs. I head inside, and go into the theater. My mom and I find a way to tie my balloons down on a far left seat, and get in a good spot. The movie commences.

6:15-The movie is over, Gates tapes me singing the credits and the car ride home, PP shoutouts included, I love you guys! (I’ll post the video and pictures later tonight, after work. You guys gotta see this!) We take the balloons home, then head for dinner. We drop Gates off at her house, then go home.

Had an absolutely amazing time with this, and I got to make it a huge deal. Thanks to the theater, my mom, and of course, Pixar. I’ll be posting my photos and stuff later tonight, or tomorrow. This has been the greatest 6 weeks of my life, it’s gonna be hard to go without the movie for so long. I’m sure talking with you guys will tide me over though, so no big worries. :slight_smile:

That is such a great story - I’m really glad it all worked out for you! :smiley:

It’s amazing how far you can get just for being a fan. Did you have to buy a ticket, or did they let you in for free? I look forward to the pictures and videos.

I really hope that this story makes it back to Disney, Pixar and Pete Docter. I think they would all enjoy hearing how their movie has changed your life.

That is so cool, ffdude1906! I’m glad you found a fun way to mark the end of Up’s theater run. I too hope your story makes it back to Pixar and Pete Docter himself. Maybe you should write Pete Docter a letter with some pictures from today! I bet he’d like to hear your story!

Can’t wait to see the pictures and video!

The theater will probably be COMPLETELY empty, considering the fact the movie has been out since May 29.

There was a lady and her 2 kids, but they really didn’t mind me. I ended up mouthing/reciting all the lines in the movie. Gates got a pretty big kick out of it, the only one she recited was [spoil]I can smell you![/spoil], but she had fun nonetheless. She said she actually enjoyed the movie more with me doing that, my mom kept getting on to me though. Pssh, this is MY day, I’ll watch the movie how I want! :stuck_out_tongue:

I was thinking at work tonight (and I have another spark of awesome news as well, check the Marching Band/Band topic for more info). I was intending on writing a letter to Pete Doctor for my autograph, and I thought, hey! I could show off my fandom, and tell my awesome story about this movie when I send that! Sure, the longer the letter, the lower the chance he’ll finish reading it, but I really REALLY want to share this with him and the staff. They deserve it, and I’m really glad I could do something for them like this. :slight_smile:

Oh, and here’s some ‘stats’ on my movie-going streak!

Theatrical Views:25 (2D:7, 3D:18)
Money Spent: $245 ($210 on tickets, $35 on balloons, not including gas, but probably around 10 bucks)
Theaters Visited: 3
Screens Watched On: 5
Most Days Watched Consecutively: 4 (did it twice actually)
Most Days Without Watching: 4 (technically speaking, May 31st to June 4th)

Times Cried: Approx. 65-70 (Part 1- 23 times, Part 2- 6 or 7 times, Part 3- 25 times, Part- 4, 12 or 13 times)
Parts being
Part 1
[spoil]Ellie’s death in the opening[/spoil]
Part 2
[spoil]Campfire scene, “Phyllis isn’t my mom” and “Cross your heart?”[/spoil]
Part 3
[spoil]Carl reading the second half of the Adventure Book at Paradise Falls[/spoil]
Part 4
[spoil]Carl passing the Ellie Badge to Russell, counting cars in front of Fenton’s[/spoil]

Just some nifty tidbits of info. I’ll probably start working on a draft of the letter to Pete tomorrow. Photos and video coming soon, Gates has to do some editing on the videos, or I can ask her if I can just snag the camera and do it myself. Can’t wait to get it up.

Unless, I’m not very good using Fandango, I located Up screenings this weekend in Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Lawton, Norman, and Amarillo TX, and Fayetteville Arkansas. If you really do live in Oklahoma, then you can’t be more than 2-3 hours away. Drive in theaters are good places to search for movies too.

I’ve seen Wall-E in theaters more than anyone I know, seen here or ever heard about, so I found out ways to do it… Altho I never have had to drive more than an hour away. Wall-E showed 2 hours away from me in a drive in until dvd release in November 2008.

Yeah, Tulsa’s about an hour away from where I live, but I can’t navigate anywhere but where I live and the 2 adjacent towns.

Oh dang,… it IS still there,… O.o Crap, I don’t what to do now. It’d be a bit nuts to go again after doing what I did today, making such a big deal about the LAST time I thought I’d see it in theaters,… But I want to see it again! Star Trek is still there as well, that’s insane. Uh, shoot. What do I do? I COULD technically go for 30, but the drive would be hard for gas money, and I need to save for the poster (still looking very possible!) and the Grape Soda Pin. I’m pretty content with 25, and I’d prefer to keep seeing it where I don’t have to drive for an hour to get to it. I think I’ll let it be, but now I’m a bit annoyed that it’s still there, taunting me.

My suggestion is just to let it be. This sounded like a sublime last viewing, no need to build on perfection.

Wait, you had to ask? We just brought the balloons on in. The people in the lobby got a real kick out of it.

Then again, barely anyone was there, so I guess there was no point in telling us no.

Yeah, I think I’m gonna end up just keeping what I have, I’m really happy with it. :slight_smile:

We didn’t have to ask about the balloons, that was actually thanks to my mom. it’s kinda amazing. I had originally just planned to leave them on my car while I was watching the movie. Then I get the call from my mom saying that I can take them in the actual theater (as in where the screen is, not just the lobby).

It’s strange because I thought that my mom was still very concerned about this thing. I was nervous to tell her about watching it after #6, and got to 12 before she found out. She didn’t get too mad, but I felt kinda bad about it. Still I kept pushing. She was/is concerned about how big of a deal I was making the movie, I’ve been obsessive about a lot of stuff before, this is just a whole new level for me, and she was getting a bit worried. Nothing bad has happened though, so she’s been surprisingly supportive. I love my mom. :slight_smile:

I have to agree, it sounds like you marked your last cinema viewing of Up in a spectacular way, and 25 is a nice round number, and I’m also very pleased that your mum is okay with your level of fandom. :laughing: I have to admit, I very rarely see the same film twice in the cinema (I saw WALL-E three times, which was a whole new level for me :laughing:) so to have seen it so many times is quite a feat. Those stats are very interesting, you’ve definitely cried a lot since Up came out! I know a lot of people are saying it’s an emotional movie, but I didn’t realise it was that emotional!

facebook.com/profile.php?id= … 574&ref=mf

Here’s my album, these are the pics my mom took. Such a blast. I still need to get the video, there’s quite a bit. You will need to actually have a facebook account to see it, sorry I don’t have a better way to organize this.

Also, I spent 2 hours last night writing my letter for Pete Doctor. It’s incredibly long, but I left my autograph request fairly brief. The rest is my story on how the movie makes me feel. I’ll be posting it here pretty soon.

Pretty sick album man, good for you!

Dang! Sounds like you had a great time though.

My mom told me that after the fifth showing, she wasn’t going to pay for tickets anymore. (And she wouldn’t let me take balloons to the theater also. But, she did let me wear my UP shirt to all 5 showings.) So the fact that you got to 25 is astounding.

And while you were singing, did you happen to get the picture you wanted from the credits?