Just an unimportant question.

In the trailer for UP, when Carl takes off to the sky with his house, he shouts to the people from Shady Oaks “So long boys!” and taunts them with that whole toungue gimmick.

However, in the movie, I didn’t see the thing with the toungue. Just the shout. Perhaps just included for a little more humor to attract more audiences? Or removed to try and establish that Carl is just a negative person? (If you’d like to call it that)

Just something that’s been on my mind.

I was wondering why they cut out that part in the movie as well. Instead he says something along the lines of [spoil]“I’ll send you a postcard from Paradise Falls”[/spoil]. I think they chose to have that line so they could establish where Carl was flying his house to right away. That’s why I think they cut out the tongue part.

I also think the sticking out his tongue part was used as a bit of humor for the teasers to make them even more appealing.

but don’t cha think it could be a ‘deleted scene’? i think so.

if it turns out not, i’m pretty sure that’s a marketing strategy [my friend told me, i dunno what’s that]

Yeah, I noticed that, and they do the part where Russell knocks on the door different too. Not a huge deal, but the exclusion of the face-making was a bit strange.

Well, I had heard that the original music cue for that scene was changed. Originally, it was to be big sweeping ‘escape-type’ music. It was then changed to a more romantic/dreamlike version of “Ellie’s Theme”. Apparently, the original version worked, but the new version felt more true to the point in the story. Once the music was changed, the dialogue had to fit the more romantic liftoff as well. Essentially, not as humourous, but more triumphant.

So yes, it was changed, but I believe it was more for the overall story to flow better, rather than just a marketing decision.

-C-3PO

Hey, I didn’t notice that! Congratulations! :slight_smile:

C-3PO: Actually there was some talk show a while ago that showed the liftoff clip with the old music, and he still said “I’ll send you a postcard from Paradise Falls” instead of sticking his tongue out. I always thought that they changed it because the tongue thing was a bit out of character for Carl.

Really? I thought quiet person have a childish personality too.

This is just a guess on my part, but… I think the movie line was probably always, “So long, boys! I’ll send you a postcard from Paradise Falls!” In the context of the movie, It’s a logical, plot-forwarding line. BUT - in the trailer, they’ve done nothing to explain or set up the Paradise Falls plot, so that line might just be confusing to the viewer: “What did he say? What’s Paradise Falls?” So, instead, they did the “Pbbbffffft!” thing, since you don’t need to know the movie plot to “get it.” As I said, I don’t know if that’s what happened, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Carl’s still totally childish, the scene where [spoil]Russell has to go to the bathroom, he ends up plugging his ears and going LALALALA, hehe, love it when he does that![/spoil]

Well, maybe they were in the process of the change. As in, they had both ways recorded and were starting to make clips with the “paradise falls” part instead, but they hadn’t gotten the new music recorded yet?

Maybe miafka could shed some light on this in regards to the music?

• C-3PO

Everyone here has made some great points on the matter, but I actually kinda find this believeable. I hadn’t thought of it like that.

Well it’s not like Pixar hasn’t changed their movies from the previews before. For example, the one for WALL-E that ended up being completely redone where he holds onto MO’s hand in the garbage chute. (Chute? No, that’s not the right word…)