The Oscar race has now begun...

Look what has just been discovered:

Freaking out is allowed :smiley:

EDIT: It seems the website has yet to be updated… Perhaps this discovery was too early…

Very cool, Bacon! Looks like Pixar’s gunning for Best Pic once again. I sure hope they prove the Academy wrong this time! :wink:

Where’d you find the pic BTW?

OK, I’m freaking out! :smiley:

On a serious note, they need to make a big push for the real Best Picture nomination utilizing moments from The Montage, because that’s what’s going to get them taken seriously. Even critics who gave less than 100% glowing reviews loved the Montage. I think a better ad would have had younger Carl and Ellie on the hill watching clouds, as a nudge to say, “Hey, remember why you loved this movie?”

Oh, that’s awesome! I’m so pleased Pixar are trying for Best Picture again! :smiley: Though I have to agree with karly05, perhaps a more sentimental moment to advertise why Up deserves to be nominated for Best Picture would’ve been a better idea. Thanks for letting us know about this, Bacon!

I’m positive that Up will win Best Picture for Oscars. If not, I’m opening suggestions to all members how to humiliate myself in the public if Up doesn’t win, seriously, I’ll do it.

Neato! Even a nomination would be enough for me…but I agree with everyone else above, they could have done better with the banner.

Wouldn’t make that bet, as I highly doubt Up wins. There are a small few others that could win it, plus the typical ones that no one hears about until they are nominated. Up was certainly the best movie I have seen this year, but I haven’t seen District 9, or the new Tarontino movie.

This is officially awesome. Kudos to Pete and the gang for getting it this far. If Up takes the award, I’m probably gonna end up doing something drastic. If it doesn’t get best animated movie, Pixar should feel insulted. Nothing else compares this year. The only real contenders I see for best picture are Star Trek and District 9. Practically everything else isn’t worth being on the list, save maybe 9. 9 didn’t do so hot critically, so I’m not too concerned.

Hoo boy, this got me excited! :smiley: I’m surprised it’s not up for Best Original Screenplay though, strange,…

ffdude1906: Actually, I think that this banner is just for, like, the Pixar site or something, saying that they want their movie nominated, and they’re specifically pointing out these categories for consideration. The nominees aren’t actually announced for a while.

I hope Up gets at least nominated for Best Picture, and wins Best Animated Feature and Best Original Score.

Bryko just beat me to it! :smiley:

Yeah, this is just an advertisement from Disney/Pixar encouraging the Academy voters to consider Up when they choose their nominees. That’s why I think they need to focus on the Carl and Ellie Montage in the ads, because that’s the part of the movie that really got people’s emotions, even those who aren’t normally fans of animated films.

My bets right now: Up gets nominated (and will almost certainly win) for Animated Feature. I expect them to get nominations for the Score and for Original Screenplay. Since the rules have changed this year to allow 10 Best Picture nominees, the Academy will have a hard time finding an excuse not to nominate Up for the real Best Picture, but I’m a little afraid to hope for too much. It will not win - the winner will have to be something “adult,” that hasn’t made too much money (that seems to be the rule). But just to get it into the big category would be great.

Related - does anyone know if there will be enough Animated films released this year to get 5 nominees in the Best Animated Feature category? I think the number is 16 eligible films before they get 5 nominees, otherwise there are only 3. If there are only 3 nominees, I think Animated Feature is going to be Up, Ponyo and Coraline. If there are 5, my wild guess is that 9, and maybe Princess & the Frog are the other two.

Ahh, got a bit excited there. Mike deserves major props for the score, it’s fantastic. As for Up not being likely to win, I disagree. It’s done very well for critics, the box office only tells how much the public WANTS to see it, not their opinion on it. After all, they haven’t seen it before they buy their ticket. It’s all in the marketing, and the company’s notoriety. Take TF2 for example. Box office hurricane, but a critical nightmare. As for Up, the marketing was generally subtle, and incredibly short lived, yet it ended up with the third highest animation gross (well, before IA3 passes Nemo in earnings) in movie history. That’s saying something for Pixar, and I think the public does generally recognize them as the leader in that regard. If Up had been pushed a bit harder in advertising, it could have gotten much closer to Nemo, and certainly passed the 300 million mark.

I think Up has a definite chance at getting nominated, and a pretty good one at getting the award.

Awesome! If it does win Best Picture (or even get nominated) it will be history in the making. Up really is a film that deserves Best Picture.

Nice, very nice. This makes me so happy.

Why am I not surprised? :smiley:

Don’t get me wrong, ffdude, I would love to see Up win Best Picture - it’s just that the Oscars seem to favor “smaller,” “independent” films that are darker and/or more “challenging.” I guess I have a hard time imagining that they could give the award to something that I’ve actually seen, or even want to see, let alone loved.

Pixar films have done extremely well when it comes to the critics’ year-end Top 10 lists. According to Rotten Tomatoes, both Ratatouille and Wall-E were the best-reviewed wide-release movies of their years, and (I think) #2 best reviewed overall. Up is going to be right at the top for the critics this year, but that doesn’t always translate to the Oscars.

Trust me, though, I would love to be proven totally wrong! :smiley:

It’s way too early to predict who will win or even who might be in the nominations. We have all been disappointed many times before. I agree with ffdude that Star Trek and District 9 are very potent movies. The movie 9 doesn’t stand a chance. Nearly all the nominated films are released after Thanksgiving, and movies like Up, which MUST be released in the early summer to recover their huge investments, are severely handicapped because the voters for the Academy are NOT professional critics who keep tabs and lists. It’s been two years in a row now that the highest critically rated movie didn’t even get a nomination. Summer release + comedy + animation = no chance for nomination. Science fiction has little chance of winning. If there are more than 5 noms, then Up has a better chance for recognition.

I’d be shocked if Star Trek won. It was just fluff.

With the new 10 nom rules I would think/hope UP would have a great chance of at least being nominated.

With 10 noms, I think we can pretty much guarantee that Up will get at least one spot. Like karly 05 said, the academy doesn’t really go for movies like Up. Apaarently, it was a big deal that the Lord of the Rings was even nominated, let alone winning one. Look at Wall-E. The most original movie to come out of Hollywood in years. A truly amazing screenplay. Didn’t even get a nod. It might not have been so bad if Benjamin Button hadn’t been there. I think Wall-E definitely deserved that spot, or even The Dark Knight. Again, like karly05 was saying, the academy now seems to favor “artistic films”. Looking at past Best Picture Nominations, and wins, I think this is a more recent development. I thinking the Oscars has been getting it wrong for years, plus they seriously need to bring Billy Crystal back.

ALRIGHT! And yet, I’m gonna miss the big WALL-E gloat on the Disney awards page, but I knew it was coming.

Yeah, with the 10 nom thing this year, my faith in humanity points are on the line. Up BETTER get nominated.

Up is too spectacular for it to not get at least a nomination for Best Picture. I mean, Pixar isn’t dealing with kid’s movies anymore. As one article goes:

CGI animation is now, these days, used as a tool, not the form factor, and Up is so rich even if you take out the computer graphics, so they’d be crazy for Pixar not being considered.

Its great that we’re getting excited over an image… but remember we’ve not entered Awards Season yet… Everyone knows the big Oscar battlers come out from November onwards… and in some cases even later.

Its great that Disney are starting the advances now… but with possibly its biggest competition for Best Animated coming from both 9 and Princess & The Frog I’m not too sure little Golden Statuette is returning to Emeryville just yet… Lasseter might get his mitts on it and it could find its way to Burbank.

Only time will tell…