Under the Porch - SPOILERS

I have a question about Up

[spoil]Where were Russell and Dug hiding when the house was going up? At the beginning of the film I didn’t seem Russell clinging to the outside of the house anywhere, and then when the house was floating in the air Russell was suddenly on the porch. Same deal with Dug later on, I think[/spoil]

Good question, Rachel!

MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD:

Maybe they were hiding in ‘hammerspace’, until their cue to appear.

Or perhaps they weren’t fully rendered yet, and had the same texture layer as the background.

Or there could possibly be a Monsters Inc bedroom door under Carl’s porch, where they waited in Monstroplis. Although if they opened the door, they would fall right out from beneath the house. “Argh… SPLAT!”

Or it could be just be a purposeful continuity error on Pixar’s part.

It’s fun to imagine the scenarios. Maybe this could be turned into a ‘what-if’ generator thread for laffs (Just be sure to put a spoiler warning in the topic thread).

:wink:

Haha, when I first saw the name of this topic, I thought it was a fanfic! XD

Yeah, they’re never visible until needed, so I’d have to go with ‘hammerspace.’ Interesting term, nice to know it exists!

This is always that continues to stick on the back of my head.

To save myself from all the anxiety about it :stuck_out_tongue:, I have a simple explanation:

[spoiler]Remember that there are two porches: one at the front, one at the back. It is very possible for Russell & Dug to continually move/crawl/hop from one porch to the bottom of the house and vice versa.

Crap explanation, but it stops me arguing about it. I also like TDIT’s proposal of hammerspace, but Pixar never leaves these little details neglected.[/spoiler]

[spoil]I suppose Russell could have been on the back porch, or perhaps even clinging under the house, but during the lift-off scene they show all around the house and he is not there. Perhaps, like thedriveintheatre said with the hammerspace explanation, the whole point of the joke is that Russell wasn’t there, but then he is. Kind of like how later on in the film after Carl thinks he’s gotten rid of Dug and Kevin, they suddenly appear out of nowhere, adding to the annoyance factor.[/spoil]