Pixarians are in Japan!

Pete Docter, Jonas Rivera, Bob Peterson and Ronnie del Carmen are in Japan and they are of course promoting the latest movie UP or カールじいさんの空飛ぶ家Grandfather or Grandpa Carl’s Flying House.

Here are some news on this event on these Japanese websites.
disney.co.jp/movies/carl-gsa … ws008.html
yaplog.jp/yapcinemage/archive/315
news.pia.jp/pia/news_image.do?ne … &imageCd=0
headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20091 … sanspo-ent
headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20091 … -eiga-movi
headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20091 … -cine-movi
headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20091 … 09-pia-ent
headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20091 … -flix-movi

Hopefully, I’ll find a Youtube or any video interviews in English when they came to Japan soon.

Yata! :smiley: I love the Japanese translations of Pixar movie titles… Remy’s Delicious Restaurant and ‘Uôrî’… the Japanese come up with such cute localised names!

Hey Rey, maybe you can be our ‘Nippon Correspondent’ for the Japanese release? :wink:

Yeah, I saw pics of Pete, Bob, Jonas, and Ronnie on twitter. Pretty sweet.

I wish Pete would get back to the studio and read my letter (Kinda funny now considering that it talks about my 25th, and I hit 50 last night, haha!)

Thanks for that huge chunk of links Rey, very awesome! Informative as always! :wink:

Thanks for the links, Rey. You are indeed our “Man on the Stree… er, Man in the Theatre” in Japan!

I like this quote:
最後の国が日本ということで、パフェのトッピングのチェリーのようですね。
(“Like the cherry topping of a parfait, Japan is the last country [to get Up].”)

Gee, that’s a nice Carl mask they made up for the event. I wonder who gets to keep that when it’s over…

For those who didn’t look down deep enough, on one of the links Rey provided:
yaplog.jp/yapcinemage/archive/315
you can click and see the Japanese trailer for Up. It’s basically the same trailer that appeared in the US earlier, but at least you get to hear a little of the Japanese voices. Interestingly, once they’re floating up in the air and Carl opens the door, Russell says: “Ah, Carl-jisan, konnichi wa. Naka irete kudasai!” (“Ah, Grandpa Carl. Please let me inside!”) – he already calls him “Grandpa Carl.” I forget, in the original does Russell actually use Carl’s name? (let alone that early in the picture?)

By the way, the official site is here:
disney.co.jp/movies/carl-gsan/index.html
WARNING!
If you have NOT seen the film yet, do NOT access the official site (until after you’ve seen the film). For some reason, they show a good chunk of a very important flashback scene in the trailer (and even in the Japanese narration, give away way too much, like saying [spoil]he’s now all alone[/spoil]) – a shame, because this is one of the most powerful scenes in the movie, and it’s much better to see that scene fresh instead of having already seen it in a trailer. Not only that, but it shows a ton of clips from all throughout the movie in the trailer. Bad, Disney. Bad.

But if you’ve already seen the movie, then go ahead and check out the site.

When you first bring up the site, there’s a trailer (which later shows that flashback scene). The words on the screen are “America’s #1 Big Hit”, then it mentions that it was the opening film at Cannes, and then it elegantly shows simply: “Kore wa, anata no monogatari…” (“This is your story…”)

There’s games, characters, downloads, shopping, etc.

I don’t remember Russell ever using Carl’s name either.

However, if my feeble knowledge of the Japanese language serves me correctly, you often address a person by using that person’s name (e.g. instead of saying “your house” when talking to Carl, you would say “Carl’s house”).

If there’s anyone around who knows this stuff better than I do, feel free to correct me.

A correction was made in this trailer. Russell asks “Please let me in” and Carl replies “What are you doing out here kid?” Skip to 1:15.

youtube.com/watch?v=oSbMrvg9xz8

There are Japanese words written in yellow letters below Russell’s face and it says unexpected visitor-Russell.

Her is an audio feed from Bob Peterson and Pete Docter in Japan about UP. The first minute is in English, then after that its in Japanese with “Animal” Hamaguchi. I can’t find any video. Sorry.
moviecollection.jp/movie/pla … wmp&act=on

“Animal” Hamaguchi warms UP crowds with his famous roar? I don’t know.
気合だー!! オィッ!! オィッ!! オィッ!!
youtube.com/watch?v=Q0ZHMF1rgMI

Also, I’ve got some more picture and news, in Japanese, about the Pixarians coming to Japan.
blog.television.co.jp/entertainm … 09_01.html
cinemacafe.net/news/cgi/report/2009/10/6795/
news.walkerplus.com/2009/1006/13/
moviecollection.jp/news/detail.html?p=658
cinematopics.com/cinema/c_re … umber=4550

With a lot of free time on my hands, I found out the cast for the Japanese dub of “Grandpa Carl’s Flying House”, it’s incomplete at the moment, but expect it to update through time.

Carl Fredricksen: Shozo Iizuka (Nappa from Dragon Ball Z)
Russell: Tachikawa Taiki (newcomer I assume)
Charles Muntz: Tamio Ohki (Chief Aramaki from the Ghost In The Shell and Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence)
Dug: Yasunori Matsumoto (Gourry Gabriev from the Slayers series)
Alpha: Hochu Ohsuka (Jiraiya from Naruto)
Beta: Tomoyuki Dan (Kisame Hoshigaki from Naruto)
Gamma: Wataru Takagi (Jan Valentine from the Hellsing Ultimate OVAs and Ganjuu Shiba from Bleach)
Tom the construction worker: Naomi Kusumi (Boss Matsumoto from the anime segment from Kill Bill Volume 1)
Young Ellie: Tamaki Matsumoto (Tianzi from Code Geass R2)
Young Carl: Yoshinaga Takuto (newcomer I assume)

New additions

pataki0021, you got the voice actors names all right. I bought the Up movie program in Japan and they match your names. The movie program doesn’t have any more voice credits for Up. Thanks for actually correcting me. I had written Tatsuya Nomura for Carl, but I was wrong twice because it should’ve been Katsuya Nomura. Boy when I screw Up I screw Up. Yeeeaahh! That was some Japanese in me. pataki0021 welcome to Pixar Planet! Yeah! OK, I’ll stop.

Amazing how just about every one of those actors has been in an anime that I’ve actually heard of.

3 questions

1. What did you think of the movie?
  2. If you saw it dubbed, how was the Japanese dub? To be honest, I wanted Norio Wakamoto as either Carl or Muntz.
  3. Any chance we can see scans of the movie program you bought?

And a favor,

youtube.com/watch?v=EDJr8brI7a8&translated=1

It’s a video of Hayao Miyazaki reviewing Pixar’s UP, can you translate what he thought of the movie?

Thanks for the recent links, Japanese cast list, and information. Enjoyed the Miyazaki/Suzuki/Doctor/Peterson video.

Did anyone here manage to see the movie in Japan?
If so, please post your thoughts (comparison, audience reaction, age of the audience, crowds, etc). Also, if you saw it dubbed or subtitled. How much are the tickets now (like thru TicketPia). And were there any interesting “Up” trinkets or merchandise available for sale at the cinema?

cinemanavi.co.jp/info/last.html

No surprise, UP hit number 1 in Japan.

This is way overdue, but better late than never.

pataki0021 wrote

1. Up speaks the truth. I should elaborate more on Your Up Reviews post later.
  2. Personally, I was uncomfortable with the Japanese dubbed. The Japanese voices were fine, but their voices made the movie different without Ed Asner or Christopher Plummer for example. I’ve never heard of Norio Wakamoto. Sorry patakioo21.
  3. I don’t think I have permission to scan and post the Up movie program. I haven’t seen any scanned movie programs posted anywhere on any websites.

Translation of Hayao Miyazaki reviewing Pixar’s Up. This video had a lot of editing so I tried to fill the gaps. I hope you understand. I wish I could hear the unedited version of this video.

[i]You guys did well. I watched and understood the sadness of the old man’s story. I wondered how you were going to make it entertaining. The story went the way I could have never imagined.

I understand how difficult it is when you make entertainment, but you made a big effort to have that conclusion. I was satisfied with the recollection. The old dream (adventure?) and the new dream (adventure) was an interesting idea as well.

I’d be exhausted if I had as much energy, but you need to spend a lot of energy (to make this movie).

You guys made an effort on the cut (small details?) especially the characters. They remind me of the people who I’ve seen in Los Angeles. You draw the current America very well.

I don’t know if I’m a good audience because I don’t watch movies that often, but I think a lot of people will be pleased with this movie.

The man who doesn’t expect to become a hero becomes a hero.

I’m impressed how you made it (Up) from the start (of the movie). Since there are a lot of animated movies, it’s very difficult to find new ideas. And I think this is one result of your effort.

The hero’s movements and gestures were very good. While I was watching, I felt backaches when Carl was tethered down to his house and walking.

There was so much deformation (aging). It was wonderful how you expressed old people movements. It was soft deformation. That deformation didn’t give any despair or hopelessness to the elderly. If old people watch this movie it will cheer them up.[/i]

Sorry, I answered your questions/request late pataki0021, but I had to do life stuff.
pixarplanet.com/forums/viewt … ht=#165918

Thanks for your patience.