The Annie Awards!

animatedviews.com/2009/2009-anni … announced/

Tough competition this year. 8O

My big problem: Zero nominations Mary & Max, and very little for Ponyo.

Well, Pixar has done very well this year! I count eight nominations in seven categories (someone else had better double check that, though :laughing:), but you’re right, Netbug009, it seems like there’s some pretty tough competition. Still, Up should do well.

It better. After last year, my respect for the Annies is hanging on it. xD (Seriously, what the heck 2008?)

In a way though, I’m glad Up didn’t get nominated for everything… mainly, I wanted 9 to get a design related nom that Up didn’t. Maybe it’s a pipe dream, but I’d really like 9 to take home production design. That film was eerily beautiful, especially on the budget it had. I want Up to be the big winner, but I’d really like 9 to get that one thing.

Anyways, it’s nommed for sound and script this year. GOOD. Again, what the heck 2008? D8

Up and Princess and the Frog were 2 of my favorite movies this year. I personally like Princess and the Frog better.

I ended up loving PATF too. Both of them deserve to get a lot of awards. :slight_smile:

So glad Secret of Kells made it. It’s a tough race this year, just about every animated movie that came out this year was good.

Interesting tidbit: Mitch’s dad is a judge at this year’s Annies. :smiley:

Cool. There are quite a few for UP and PATF, so I hope each of them can get a couple. Too bad these awards are never televised. I’d love to see that.

With the Annies happening this weekend, I’d like to voice a note that the Art Direction of Up wasn’t even NOMINATED, and I cannot, for the life of me, imagine why! It’s an undeniably beautiful film. Ricky Nierva and his crew certainly deserved at least a nomination! Any clues?

Not sure, maybe they didn’t include any art from the prodigy Daniel Lopez Munoz! His art in the book is milestones ahead from the rest, and it’s outright beautiful. :smiley: But it didn’t get nominated? BLASPHEMY!

That other stuff is fine, but the Ricky paintings are the ones that really blow me away, especially the cover. That’s obvvious. From all I’ve read and seen, it’s Ricky’'s film, from a look point of view, all the way. The people who worked for him helped make a good team. I wish I could get my book autographed by him.

Hi everyone,huge Pixar fan here…i’ve been reading this forum for a while but considering UP just won the best animated movie at the Annie Awards i thought it’s a very good reason to sign up.

Pete Docter also won for Best Director!

annieawards.org/consideration.html

That does seem strange, RandiJ, but I guess the competition was particularly stiff in that area this year.

I feel like I’ve been saying it a lot lately, but well done to Up, Mr. Docter and the Pixar crew for their newest wins! I guess the next big thing is the Oscars, then? At this rate, I wouldn’t be surprised if Up managed to win the majority of its nominations!

And welcome to the boards, TheDarkSamurai. A very good time to join, indeed! :smiley:

Congrats to Pete Docter and all involved with Up for the Annie Awards!

My only beef with the Annie results: MG/Up lost score to Coraline. I like Coraline and all, and in another year I’d be okay with that, but I want Up’s score to win everything it possibly can.

Meanwhile - BAFTAs (the British film awards) are on 2/21, and Up has four nominations: Animated Feature, Original Screenplay, Score and Sound. I think that’s the next competition for them, and probably the last before the Oscars.