Angels/Paradise Falls and the Tepuis

I just watched the “Adventure is out there!” mini-docu about the Pixar trip to Venezuela. And I must say… WOW! I’m seriously impressed by the beauty of the scenery. The incredible vista’s, angels fall, the weird rock formations on top.

I NEED to visit this place. But from the looks of it, I’d say it would be quite expensive to visit there. Well, this one goes on the “places to visit list”, and right near the top!

It’s also amazing to see that all these places, plants, rocks etc. really do exsist. Kudos to Pixar for introducing the general audience to this wonderfull place! They did a great job ‘recreating’ this place in UP.

The docu itself was very good. I especially liked the mix of facts and their own experiences. There are also quite a few funny moment, I especially love the Lour Romano joke, it’s hilarious.

So yeah, it was a great feature. I feel a bit like Ellie now, wanting to visit Paradise Falls badly. How about you guys? Do you really want to go there now :slight_smile: ?

It’s a really cool looking place, but I wouldn’t want to see much besides Angel Falls, the rest looks so desolate and deserted. I’m kinda like the opposite of a claustrophobe, huge, open, empty places are kind of eerie for me, and it kinda looks that way from the documentary. Maybe just to look at it for a while, but I wouldn’t want to stay for long. I’ll admit, it’s really incredible to see such bizarre places and how crazy everything up there looks, but I think being there would be just be creepy.

The way they recreated it in Up was a lot more interesting and caricatured. It didn’t have that desolate look, it was more whimsy and bright. They kinda “fixed” it to make it look like a place I would actually like to visit, instead of the actual look.

ffude1906 - google calls it agoraphobia :wink:, didn’t know there was an actual word for it . I get what you’re saying though, and I can imagine how you feel about it. I wouldn’t want to visit it alone, nor with my family. If I’m going up there, I want to be with a group of experienced travelers, so you have someone to fall back one. Being there alone, or with a small group would scare me, yes.

But yeah… I just thought the scenerey was so beautiful in the mini-docu… I just really want to experience it by myself. If I’ll ever get there, by the rock formations, I might leave my talking dug plushie there -you know- so he can find a new master :laughing: .

I do kinda agree with you on the second bit. The way they recreated is brighter and more caricatured. They had to ofcourse, otherwise this would be quite a dark and spooky movie, that wouldn’t fit at all!

Well, sorta. Agoraphobia is the fear of large places, but it’s also the fear of being watched by lots of people in those places, if I remember correctly. That’s just what I recall from my psych. class.

Anyway, that’s nice of you to get your plushie a new master! Haha! I don’t disagree that it’s beautiful up there, but it seemed so deadly silent and alien looking.

The documentary about the Pixar guys going to the Tepui was really interesting, and the place is amazing, but I would never even think of going there. I am not outdoorsy at all. If I could go on a Pixar research trip, visiting the 5-star restaurants of Paris is much more my speed! :wink:

Haha, everyone their own thing, right :slight_smile: ! I on the other hand wouldn’t want to go to that 5-star restaurant, haute cuisine makes me nervous :laughing: .

Hahaha I know what you mean karly! I always thought I was not outdoorsy at all too. But I went on a family vacation last summer touring the Southwest USA. It was great, we did some great hikes in the various national parks. Nature can be really great if you can get up close with it. Back home, I’m still not outdoorsy at all :wink: . We only have flat landscapes and some woods over here… nothing to get excited about.

I have a HUGE fear of heights. Being on a 2nd Floor in a building just creeps me out to death. (And, whaddaya know, most of my classes this year are on a 2nd floor!)

So with that said, I’ll stick to Documentaries such as the one included with UP. I can handle heights when watching a video.

Though it would be really cool to go.

There’s a lot of stuff about Angel Falls and the Tepui in the Art of Up as well. It looks really amazing from what I’ve seen. Really an unique sight. And while I do like the looks of the place, I don’t think I could go there. I’m stuck with two parents here in Holland. :wink:

So I investigated a little bit into these kind of trips. Of course, if I’ll go there I want to do more than just fly over it in a plane. I want to get on top of the tepuis them self.

I found a company that organizes trekkings over the tepui’s. One actually goes to the base of Angel Falls, sounds beautiful. The trekking takes eight days, with approximately 5 hours of hiking every day. It costs about a thousand dollars per person!

This will become one of my life wishes, a bit like Ellie, don’t you guys think? There are so many aspects of this place that draws me to it. To start with, the landscape is just beautiful, unlike anything I’ve seen before. Secondly, it’s so remote! There are hardly any tourists there, in the documentary they actually said less than 100 people have ever been on that particular tepui! It really has that adventurous feel about it, just like in Up. Thirdly, Up is set there! It will be wonderful to see the setting of Up in real-life. And finally, I just love waterfalls :laughing: , I’ve seen a couple of cool once on a recent trip to Iceland. They just have something about them!

My goal is to visit this place within 15 years from now, I’m 17 now, so a bit to young.

So far I’m pretty much alone in my desire to go there it seems? No one’s with me :laughing: ?

If I had the means (and the physical capability) I’d be up for going, but I honestly doubt I would ever invest that much into visiting there, unless it was somehow given to me. I mean, if I worked for Pixar and was on the team that went, I sure as heck would go! Haha!

It just seems like a lot of work and money to go, but I’d be willing if there was some sort of middle ground.

Yeah ffdude1906, it seems like you need to be in good shape to visit there! Something that I’m not right now :stuck_out_tongue: . I guess the middle ground would be a helicopter flight over the tepuis and the falls :slight_smile: .

I honestly think the price isn’t that steep for what you get. Some people spend thousands of dollars just to have vacation to Hawaii (nothing wrong with Hawaii, just making a comparison). I wouldn’t be able to fork up that kinda money right now, but if I 'd save some money i’d sure be able to afford it.