Best Picture Nomination!

Just announced! As well as Best Original Screenplay. More to be announced soon.

Best Score and Sound Editing nominations confirmed!

oscars.org/awards/academyawa … inees.html

Edited. I combined both of your posts. – Mitch

BEST PICTURE! I am DYING RIGHT NOW! BAH! YES!

I LOST IT. Haha, I’m so freaking happy right now, you have no idea. Bravo. BRAVO.

Also, Best Score, Sound, Sound Editing, Animated Picture, and Original Screenplay. No Best Director, but WOW. Congrats to Pixar. Amazing.

eerik! You are fast. I’ll just close my thread and put whatever I wrote here.

I just watched the Oscar nominations minutes ago. Man, what timing. Anyways, Up got nominated for Original Screenplay, Animated Feature, and get this, Best Picture, with Avatar, [iThe Blind Side[/i], District 9, An Education, The Hurt Locker ,Inglourious Basterds, Precious, A Serious Man, and Up in the Air. That’s all was shown on the live feed from ABC News. Oh, yeah! That made my evening.

Minor correction, Up is nominated for Sound Editing, but not Sound Mixing.

I already posted in the “Up Awards” sticky thread, but WOO HOO!

I’m just so relieved it made BP.

And MG absolutely HAS to win Best Score!

Gonna root for Up or District 9 in Best Picture. If i[]Avatar[/i] ends up getting it, it’ll just inflate Cameron’s ego to galactic scale. All it had going for it was the visuals. The story was pretty weak.

Best Animated Feature I’m satisfied a lot with except for Cloudy not making it in. Trade places with Fantastic Mr. Fox, and it’s a perfect lineup for me. Secret of Kells making it was a very good surprise.

This is awesome! A Best Picture nomination! :smiley:

I’m also pleasantly surprised that The Secret of Kells was nominated for BAF.
Actually, they could have filled ten slots also for that award with ease this time, so several worthy competitors are missing out (e.g. Ponyo, Mary and Max).

So, whatever happens now, as long as Up wins BAF and Best Score, and it won’t be a sweep for Avatar, I’ll be more than happy.

WOW! This is unbelievable! Congratulations to Pete, Bob, Jonas and everyone else at Pixar!

Far overdue recognition for the animation industry, and I’m glad Pixar was the first the break the barrier since Beauty and the Beast. While I disagree that Up is more deserving than Ratatouille, I’m nonetheless thrilled to see it in there, even if it is bittersweet for me.

I’m really glad that they got nominated, and to be nominated for Best Picture is already an honor in of itself. Now, lets see if they win.

My thoughts, exactly.
In my book, Ratatouille deserved to win at least Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Score in addition to its BAF win.
It’s still the best film ever, as far as I’m concerned.

Nevertheless, I’m thrilled that the art form of animation has finally pushed the door open a bit more at the Oscars.

Woke up at 8 AM ET to watch the announcements. I did the same last year and was disappointed by the The Dark Knight and WALL-E snubs, but this year, I must say I am absolutely thrilled with the nominations. Congratulations to Pixar and the Up crew for garnering the second Best Picture Oscar nomination ever for an animated film! This is certainly a historic occasion worthy of celebration.

The Blind Side came in as a bit of a surprise (I was expecting either Star Trek or Invictus to get the nod), but I haven’t seen the film, so I can’t really say much about its quality. But to be honest I don’t really care whether the Oscars get it “right” or “wrong” (if there is even such a thing as “getting the nominations right”), because to me, the Oscars are more about celebrating and perpetuating the tradition of film rather than simply a mere competition that pits films against each other. After all, from my perspective, the Oscars get the nominations “right” most of the times anyway, and even when they don’t get it exactly “right” (again, based on my own point of view), most of the winners and nominees are still worthy of being recognized.

Yeah! :smiley: I never would’ve seen this coming a year ago. Congratulations to the whole Pixar crew!

I don’t think Up stands a chance at winning Best Picture, but I am very happy that it got nominated. I’m sure the guys at Pixar are extremely honored for having the second animated film in history to get nominated for Best Picture, and the first animated film in history to get that nomination since the introduction of the Best Animated Feature category.

As for what will win Best Picture, I’m gonna place my bets on The Hurt Locker, and it’s well-deserved, too.
For Best Original Screenplay, my bets go for Inglourious Basterds. Again, that would be another well-deserved win (plus, Inglourious Basterds is my personal favorite film of 2009). But, Up would probably be the runner-up in this category.
I’m sure Up is pretty much guaranteed to win two Oscars for both Best Animated Feature and Best Original Score.
As for Best Sound Editing… at this point I really don’t know who would win that… something tells me Avatar would probably get that award, but I won’t place my bets on that.

Congratulations to Pete Docter, Bob Peterson, and the entire Up/Pixar crew who made this dream a reality!! Needless to say, the nominations this film has earned were well deserved, particularly the “Best Picture” nomination – it’s an unexpected, yet extremely pleasant, surprise. :smiley:

– Mitch

Just saw the Oscar nominations.
Glad to see Up got a Best Picture nod, even though it’s a foregone conclusion that it won’t win (since actors make up the vast majority of votes for this, and as an animation project, most actors tend to think that there were no actors “in” the movie. Yes, I know, but don’t argue with me… like it or not, that’s just the way most actors see animation). It took them having to broaden the number of nominations (basically doubling the number of films nominated from previous years) but, nonetheless, the Best Picture Oscar nomination for Up is richly deserved (even if there were only 5 slots it would have been deserved).

Of course, I was really glad to see Michael nominated for Best Score. I hope he wins, and think he might have a pretty good chance this year. The score was excellent (ironic that it was both never physically released on CD, nor were the orchestra personnel listed this time)… and of the other films I saw nominated for this catagory, the scores didn’t seem to stand out so much (though I haven’t seen them all).

Well, only time will tell. I’m not a big fan of award shows (if you couldn’t tell from previous posts), so at this point I guess I’ll just wait until the day after to see what happens. Whether or not a bunch of people (majority of whom are actors) vote for an animated movie or not, we (including the broadest spectrum of critics) know just how good this movie and its score were.

I’m obviously thrilled about Pixar’s long overdue Best Picture nomination. But I think it’s sad that it comes with an asterisk. This is the first time in a few decades that we have ten nominees for Best Picture. We’ll never be able to say for sure if Up would have been nominated under normal circumstances.

If they’d had ten nominees a year ago, WALL-E definitely would have been nominated. Probably also true for Ratatouille.

It doesn’t stand a chance of winning, though. Sad, but true.

An impressive achievement for an animated film. Good luck to Pete and the crew!

Way to go, Pixar!
And, remember, Up isn’t just the second animated movie to get nominated for Best Picture, it’s the very first all CGI one, too!

So happy right now!

It’s pretty great to be the second animated film in history to make the Best PIcture nomination . . . but, sadly, Up has no chance of winning. Hey, though, a nomination isn’t bad! And it’s definitely got Best Animated Feature. Crossing my fingers for MG on the Original Score; I love the music in Up.

Good luck, and congrats.

This is so awesome! I don’t really care if they lose, because being nominated is still a very big thing. Do you think Toy Story 3 could have a chance as being nominated for best picture? It could, but I’ll make up my final decision when I’ve seen the final movie.