Up's 2 Grammy wins for best score and instrumental comp.

Surprised this hadn’t been mentioned here (unless I missed it) but Michael Giacchino had two Grammy wins the other night, both for Up.

• Best Score Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media (Michael had two nominations in this catagory, for Up and Star Trek).
    The nominees were:
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Alexandre Desplat)
    Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Nicholas Hooper)
    Milk (Danny Elfman)
    Star Trek (Michael Giacchino)
    Up (Michael Giacchino)

And Michael won for “Up”.

Also, in the catagory of

• Best Instrumental Composition

The nominees were:
Borat in Syracuse (Paquito D’Rivera)
Counting to Infinity (Tim Davies)
Fluffy (Bob Florence)
Ice-Nine (Steve Wiest)
Married Life (from Up) (Michael Giacchino)

And Michael won this as well.

Wow, Up won 2 out of 3 noms. I’m still smarting from Wall-e not doing better last year, but it was so nice to hear. And it seems that the Oscar noms swamped most people’s interest, over the Grammy results. They sure advertised the Grammys quite a bit a few hours before it aired, pumping Bon Jovi and other older performing acts.

Oh, it was mentioned Feb. 1st in the sticky ‘Awards’ thread…

One of the best things about Up was the fabulous score (which I am listening to right now)! His use of strings and muted trumpet were amazing when they were blended together with the same little melody over and over again. The way he took the one melody and made so many emotions come from it is phenomenal. Definitely one of my all-time favorite soundtracks.

…The band geek’s going to shut up now, but thanks for posting something about it. :slight_smile:

Giacchino definitely deserves those two awards, despite the seemingly stiff competition. His score really brought Up to life, so it’s good that he’s getting recognised for his talents. Thanks for letting us know, miafka.

I knew ya’d do it, Mr G. Next step: Oscars!