"Up" movie in the park - looking for decorations &

Hi all,

I’m located in Sacramento, California and my small company is hosting “Up” as a free movie in the park in August. We’ve done “Enchanted” and “Madagascar” in the past and each year I try to outdo the decorations and costumes of the last. If any of you have any suggestions or items for sale, please reply to this!

Thanks,
Karen

You are located only an hours drive away from Pixar. Many of the top, older employees there, tho, live in the Marin Headlands, not in the Berkeley Hills (this is because Pixar was first located right across the bridge in Richmond and the towns immediately around are dullsville). Anyways, when movie theaters are done with a movie they have to get rid of the big props. They always say that some company hauls them away and they aren’t for the fans to get. It could be a lie, I do know that employees get the posters, and I’m sure some are resold online right away.

The props used in local supermarkets to display the dvd’s for Up, which were released on Nov. 11, 2009 surely are just destroyed. But such things might be available still from some sort of supplier or profiteer or even Pixar/Disney. I know that when movies are shown by nonprofit groups such as the local library that they have some sort of blanket contract with many studios to pay them x dollars and not to advertise beyond a listing on the web and at the libraries.

There isn’t much money to be made by Disney here, altho I paid $6 at the Wall-E showing in San Anselmo’s movie-in-the-park last summer. There the sound designer, a famous man who also had worked on the robots for Star Wars, showed up and gave a 7 minute talk. That was because he only had to drive a mile! Maybe someone who worked on Up will be in town (Sacramento) that weekend. It might be worth an inquiry for you.

Are there Up balloons for sale? I’ve gone to the Disney Store and to party stores and can’t find any. Those might be nice to decorate the area. I think I recall seeing a Dug (the main dog) plushie in the Disney Store, and there must be one in your area.

I think an inexpensive an easy way to make decorations for up is simply balloons. Lots, and lots, and lots (like, as many as you can buy) of balloons. Aside from that, see if you can find your local girl scout council and get some junior girl scout badges. They look like Russel’s, though you might have a hard time convincing the council to sell them, since they’re to be earned. If you tell them it’s just for a movie they might be OK with it.

Another suggestion is go to your local fabric store and pick up a BUNCH of brown fabric, and make some sashes for the people who will be running things.

I think your best bet though is to cover every available inch of space with balloons though. xD The more the better!