UP Parody on the Simpsons

This is just wrong… :frowning:

“Up” was parodied a few days ago on The Simpsons.
Below is a short clip of it (under a minute).

thedailywh.at/post/1243610916/in … y-scratchy

(If you live outside the US, you may not be able to view it without a proxy).

It’s kinda funny, but it reminds me of how I just wish modern-day Simpsons would lay off on the parodies. They’re just trying to become Family Guy, pretty much. The old episodes are much funnier and well-thought-out, and don’t completely rely on pop culture knowledge to be enjoyable (and at least the references and parodies they’re won’t normally completely in-your-face).

This makes me very sad, and I don’t find it funny. I heard they’ve done it to other Pixar movies, but Up is one film that should never, ever be spoofed. I don’t like these people, and they need to grow up.

Can’t see it being form the UK, but from looking at the title, it’s the same over and over with the Simpsons, the writers are lazy, parody eveything. And having guets stars in every other episode.
Back in the 90s (yeah they had guest stars but NO WHERE NEAR as many) it was much more cleverer and the writers used their brain, and not just being what would seem cool to the 13 year old popular kids at school, or being in trend in my opinion shouldn’t and doesn’t make the show or better, it makes it look cheaper and worse.
Sorry for tha little rant but The Simpsons bugs me nowadays and has for about 8 years, it’s completely lost it’s heart.

Can’t see it on hulu, but it’s airing on TV in ten minutes. I don’t agree with all the hate though. Sure The Simpsons isn’t as funny as it used to be, but it’s definetally not in it’s worst run. Even if they do make a little parody every once in a while, it’s not like the entire episode is a series of spoofs (even if it’s almost that), and as unsettling as the scene may be it’s not like they’re actually shooting up the Pixar characters…it’s Itchy and Scratchy. It’s a one-joke skit. Of course they’re going to die, even if I didn’t enjoy the ending of the skit, I did laugh three times during the montage…and yes I am a defender of The Simpsons. At least they don’t do this to other Pixar movies, for example, it’s quite obvious that Matt Groening liked Wall-E (he said so in an interview), and Wall-E has appeared three times on The Simpsons, but it’s always celebrating the movie rather than making fun of it. They’re just making fun of the scene; not the characters. If you don’t appreciate it fine, but don’t hate them for it.

Oh great. Could some kind soul please do a screen-recording and post it on Youtube for non-Americans, please?

Didn’t they do an Up cameo last year too? (I think it was a blink-and-miss-it moment with Carl and Lenny).

… That was wrong. Just plain wrong. I really hate that mouse now. And I feel that sequence in Up… is just too surreal, and perfect, and beautiful… to be parodied like that. And THEN he blows up their buried bodies, and burns their souls in a vaccum bag? EVIL. >:( :imp:

Like Mermaid Man says… “EEEEEVILLL!!!”

I haven’t seen the series in its’ entirety, but they do pretty good with the episodes I’ve seen already.

CF: I agree with everything you just said. High-five!

I really want to see this to access it in the proper context. I hate malicious jokes as much as the next Pixar fan, but there is a fine line between ‘good-humoured fun’ and ‘mean-spirited ridicule’, and I want to see if Simpsons (which usually does the former) crossed it this time.

I didnt really find it offensive. Yes, they took a basically serious moment and turned it into something violent but I was kinda expecting that. I dont know, I guess I just didnt feel what everyone else seemed to.

I wish I could watch it, but due to Hulu’s hatred of Non-Americans, I guess I can’t.

If you want to see the parody, it’s on Youtube, but it is inverted over the Y axis, which is why the writing is backwards. If you don’t mind this, here is the link.

Click!

Thanks Pizza Planet Truck, at last, non-Americans can witness this blasphemous piece of travesty. :slight_smile:

Having seen it, here are the good and bad bits (SPOILERS AHEAD):

Good
They managed to use the actual ‘Married Life’ track! Maybe they asked Mr Giacchino nicely?

I liked the character cameos in the clouds. :slight_smile:

The name of their dream trip destination is ‘Parody Falls’!

Bad
This may be quite possibly the most despicable thing Itchy has done. I mean, he even destroyed their souls! :open_mouth:

I don’t know… usually I find the Itchy and Scratchy segments hilarious in their portrayal of cartoon violence, but this was done in poor taste (which might be influenced by my bias towards Up).

There could’ve been a million other ways Up could’ve been parodied (maybe Scratchy gets hung by the balloons or gets squashed by the house or something?), but taking the one scene that touched viewers everywhere and ruining its dramatic conclusion is not only unfunny, but smacks of desperation as well.

I really didn’t see the big deal with it, it was a joke that was a couple of seconds long in a cartoon show.

I’m not really offended either, but I can undertand how it might provoke the more sensitive Pixar fans here. It was done in poor taste.

In any case, I get extremely annoyed when something is mocked unintelligently without a point to it. I find old parody movies like Naked Gun or provocateurs like Borat and Ali G hilarious because there is a deeper subtext to the crude humour. I would cringe while watching 'em, but with a grin and a nod at the same time. For this, it’s more like just wincing in disgust. I fail to see anything noteworthy other than upsetting Up fans.

I suppose you could say that it is another ‘old cartoons are violent’ spoof, but they could’ve done it in a wittier way like pointing out the improbability of the house being lifted by the balloons, or how a bird can elude an experienced explorer, or any number of ‘suspension of disbelief’ moments. Great spoofs point out the ridiculous plot holes or lampoon a cliched aspect of the subject or alludes to a similar trope by witty juxtaposition (like YTPs). This particular Itchy & Scratchy segment just drops a pop-culture reference and expects it to be funny (much like an Aaron/Seltzer movie) or being abhorrent just for the sake of it, like recent episodes of The Simpsons or Seth McFarlane shows.

Again, I’m not really offended or anything (the ‘blasphemous piece of travesty’ and all that is just my lame attempt at sarcasm), but I’m disappointed that they missed the opportunity to make a clever joke at Up’s expense. It’s like the ‘HON-E’ cameo last year; neat cameo, but ultimately pointless.

I just watched it. I have to say, it was mostly well done. I liked the use of Michael Giacchino’s score and the cameo appearances of several Pixar characters in the clouds, but the ending was done in bad taste a bit too much. However, since it’s Itchy and Scratchy, I guess it isn’t a huge deal.

I actually saw this a few days ago, while randomly flipping channels. This was actually the only part of the episode I saw, because my mom came in and asked to use the TV. Anyway, I’m not offended or anything (it is Itchy and Scratchy after all, wanton violence is what they do), but I didn’t find it funny.

that was awful.
not offensive exactly, but awful.
The ending was in extremely poor taste, but hey, what can you expect from Itchy & Scratchy?

I liked the clouds morphing into other Pixar charcters, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

My favorite was the WALL-E cloud :slight_smile:

Seconded! :slight_smile: