Pixar Planet

Did Pixar rip-off "Above and Beyond" student film?

Talk about Pixar's Up here!

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Re: Did Pixar rip-off "Above and Beyond" student film?

Postby Now Has Guilt » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:23 pm

That article on Film is pretty thorough, but I received Art of Up for Christmas, and the writer overlooked one piece of artwork. Dominique Louis did this in 2005:

I guess that would have been done while Above and Beyond was still in production. It seems that the ideas of floating buildings and balloons were present pretty early on in Up's production. While I realize that this isn't really conclusive evidence, it's still interesting to note.
Great. Now I have guilt!
-x-
Now Has Guilt
Mutant Toy

Postby Sky » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:48 am

I was browsing the Michael Giacchino boards over at IMDb, and a member over there, tam_cajb has hear similarities between the main theme of Up and a piece of music by Spanish composer Alberto Iglesias called "Me Voy a Morir de Amor" which was recorded in 2001. You can google the piece and listen to it on Youtube or listen to a comparison of both tracks, as well as read an article here. There's also another article here.

To be honest, in my opinion, I DO hear similarities between the two pieces, not only with the notes, but the feel of the music too, and it makes me a little bit disappointed. The main Up theme fits the film perfectly but if you are going to take someone's work, you should at least acknowledge them. It's good that millions of people, including families and children got to hear the lovely theme in a Pixar film, when they most probably wouldn't have been able to before, but does that make it ok? I am wondering how Mr Iglesias would feel that Michael won an Oscar for Best Original Score when it is likely that the motif used as the basis for it was not of Michael's own making.

What do you think? Do they sound similar enough that you think that Michael would have had to have listened to the piece at least once in his life before composing the main Up theme? Perhaps it is just an homage, a nod to a fellow composer, since I'm sure that if composing is your profession that you'd want to have a peek at what others are creating too... or perhaps it is yet another coincidence. Like I said in regards to the Up idea, occasionally, with so many ideas being formed every day, sometimes two ideas will form around the same time period...

So is this an "homage", a coincidence, or do you think they not sound similar at all? :?:
Sky
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby Pricklepants » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:17 pm

Thanks rachel for sharing. I've listened to it a few times, but to me, the similarities are very little. If Michael did anything out of his pure own creativity, I would say this is a nod to Alberto Iglesias piece, rather than an outright copycat. Plus, if Michael did anything close to a rip-off, the Oscars people and everybody with an ounce of score composition knowledge will be all over him the minute "Up" was released/Michael got nominated/Michael got an Oscar.

Again, I think Married Life trumps Iglesias's piece because, as you already covered, it fits the movie perfectly.
Pricklepants
Garbage Boy

Postby Karliiamson » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:04 pm

I read that article when I first read it I was confused and not able to understand the story of that film. But once I went through the review which was posted on https://www.resumehelpservices.com/resu ... ng-review/ writing service blog then I came to know the film and what is the main theme of the story.
Karliiamson

Postby sani » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:52 am

All the ease of accessing online gambling games is slot joker123 certainly a progress in the world of gambling. joker123 terbaru This is very extraordinary and very spoil the joker123 terbaru bettor online. All the advantages of gambling online joker123 slot roma is something that is quite extraordinary. With the joker123 terbaru convenience of course you can play online gambling slot online joker123 more freely so that the results are truly joker123 slot roma profitable.The more advanced technology and supported by the joker123 slot online fast internet network, many new things can be slot joker123 known through the internet. Even if you want slot online joker123 to play online gambling at this time it joker123 slot roma is more accessible because of the internet connection. joker123 terbaru Online gambling access is one thing that is joker123 terbaru very exciting, of course. Now anyone can play slot online joker123 from anywhere and anytime. joker123 slot roma
sani
Toy Collector

Postby sani » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:47 am

All the ease of accessing online gambling games is play168 certainly a progress in the world of gambling. judi slot play168 terlengkap This is very extraordinary and very spoil the judi slot play168 terlengkap bettor online. All the advantages of gambling online play168 slot terbaru is something that is quite extraordinary. With the judi slot play168 terlengkap convenience of course you can play online gambling slot online play168 more freely so that the results are truly play168 slot terbaru profitable.The more advanced technology and supported by the slot play168 fast internet network, many new things can be play168 known through the internet. Even if you want slot online play168 to play online gambling at this time it play168 slot terbaru is more accessible because of the internet connection. judi slot play168 terlengkap Online gambling access is one thing that is judi slot play168 terlengkap very exciting, of course. Now anyone can play slot online play168 from anywhere and anytime. play168 slot terbaru
sani
Toy Collector

Postby sani » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:16 am

this is evidenced by the online system used in daftar poker88 gambling games. With this online system gambling games link poker88 do experience many changes that even make gambling agen poker88 games more interesting.Some of the changes that occur daftar poker88 are gambling games becoming more practical for us download apk poker88 to play even with this online system we cara daftar poker88 can play gambling games whenever we want just idn poker88 by relying on smartphones we have and the poker88 online benefits offered by gambling games are also greater situs poker88 this is because online gambling games has a daftar idn poker88 wider game scale. And all these changes also agen situs poker88 occur in all types of gambling games including idn poker88 asia online poker gambling 2020.

Poker gambling download apk idn poker88 game is one of the most popular online download poker88 apk gambling games today. playing this gambling game will apk poker88 asia also feel more fun because the poker gambling game has a light and fun game. Even though the online poker gambling 2020 game has a high competitive level, you can win this one by using the following tips:
sani
Toy Collector

Postby suzy » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:49 am

Each slot machine, of course, has different rules and situs slot uang asli terpercaya mega88 online there is also a way to win. Some agen taruhan mesin slot mega88 terkini online slot machines are already set to the situs slot uang asli terpercaya mega88 online players by placing a bet amount of money game judi slot mega88 terpercaya di indonesia so that later a large jackpot can be mega88 penyedia situs judi slot terbaik obtained. So you have to learn all the link alternatif situs judi slot mega88 bebas nawala methods and rules that are very important in agen taruhan mesin slot mega88 terkini order to be able to adjust the online link alternatif situs judi slot mega88 bebas nawala slot game.

All players are required situs slot uang asli terpercaya mega88 online to know the ins and outs of each game judi slot mega88 terpercaya di indonesia online slot game so that it can be situs slot uang asli terpercaya mega88 online played better. All jackpots do allow players to game judi slot mega88 terpercaya di indonesia play for free. Take advantage of all opportunities agen taruhan mesin slot mega88 terkini and play less bets if you don’t really mega88 penyedia situs judi slot terbaik understand. The slot machine gambling win tricks will agen taruhan mesin slot mega88 terkini be a valuable discussion for you.
suzy
Mutant Toy

Previous

Return to Up