Rat-ioning Fanfic: Should I or Shouldn't I?

I’ve noticed that the folks on the forums here tend to be more sophisticated than others I’m on. One person actually said he “avoid[s] fanfiction like the plague”, which makes me a bit hesitant…

The thing is, I’ve pretty much finished a self-indulgent Ratatouille hurt/comfort wallow (and started a longer, plottier one, but that’s only just started) and was wondering if I should just leave them on my hard drive where they belong. I know that the more sophisticated sectors of fandom - any fandom - consider hurt/comfort only slightly less vile than Mary Sue fanfics. So I thought I’d ask if I should post - if anyone would be interested - or just quietly read it at home for myself.

Thanks for bearing with me for this long post. I’m fanatical in my fandom ‘crushes’ - and Ratatouille is it for the foreseeable future.

Well, the people that say they avoid fanfiction sound like they’re being a bit silly, to be honest. Surely it’s up to each individual to decide if they’d rather write a story about characters that already exist, rather than writing everything completely originally? If it’s just for fun, because you enjoy writing, then I don’t see why you shouldn’t post your work. And I’m one hundred percent sure that there are plenty of people here who would love to read your writing! :smiley:

Well, if you wrote it, and you want some critique of it, then you should put it online. There are plenty of people here, and of course, elsewhere on the web who love to write fanfiction so you aren’t alone. What more can you do except put yourself out there, you know? :smiley: