Who do you admire? (The Tribute Thread)

So, I looked all over for a thread like this. I could of swore we had one. But I suppose it’s time for a newer, updated one.

So who do you admire, and would like to make a tribute to? Any heros? Any people who have influenced you as a thinker, artist, or person? Post them here!

Matt Stone & Trey Parker, the masterminds behind South Park, Team America, and The Book of Mormon, have recently been included in Slate’s list of The most innovative and practical thinkers of our time, a list of American Cultural Leaders.

I’m not suprised! I admire the both of them for their pioneering efforts in both cinema, television, and Broadway. Their opinions of politics and philosophy have defintely left an impact on our society, as well as me. As well as being crazy funny!

Their no fear of making fun of anyone or anything is classic, and they’re defintely the best satarists of our generation.

It’s not like we have a formula, but I think one of the reasons [South Park] has survived is that it has a big heart at its center. Other cartoon shows have people cr*p on each other and make racist jokes. But I don’t think people tune in for that. I just don’t think a show lasts for 10 years without a heart.
-Trey Parker

Great idea for a thread Kenzie!

One of my all time heroes is Vanessa Carlton. Her music is so unaffected by all of the current society, and I think that’s why I love her so much. She’s just so intent on the story and message she wants to give in each song, and she’s never sacrificed her style to be more mainstream and popular. She could’ve gone a whole different direction with her music video styles and how she attracts attention, but she’s remained classy all the way. Even back when “A Thousand Miles” was popular, she remained really humble, and is still just as humble today. She’s definitely one of my role models, and I’d love to be half of what she is when I’m all grown up.

This is hard as I admire so many people but if I just have to list just one then…

Tony Stewart. He is my hero, my favorite driver and someone who I hope I could be like. I have been following since I was five (1997) and watching him go from Indy Cras to into NASCAR. When my favorite driver died Dale Earnhardt I wasn’t even sure I would watch but I watched. I wasn’t even really sure if I’d have another favoriet (I considered Dale Jr and after an emotional win at Atlanta in Dale’s car Kevin Harvick). But after a few races I decided that Tony all along was going to be my favorite. What did was to see him race the Indy 500 and the Coca 600 (that is racing 1100 miles 600 laps in two different states on the same day) and finish sixth at Indy and thrid in the 600. That showed me what kind of driver and person he is.

His passion and anger sometimes gets the best of him and he gotten into fights and other things but I like that. But then the robots. Plus he has been able to forgo all that and win two championships and 39 races and never having a winless season.

Thanks Evangeline!

I may not be familier with Carlton’s music, or a big supporter of Stewert. But hearing you two talk about how much you admire them and how they effect you is lovely. I’m happy they’re around!

My Hero’s are:

Jesus

Tobymac

Mat kearney

O.C Supertones band

John Lasseter

Pete Docter

Anberlin

Hiccup

i think thats it, although i’m pretty sure there’s more. :slight_smile:

Hmmmm…
I’ve never had anyone that I’d give tribute to. Except Christ of course 8D

But um my list would be:
Christ
My parents
Pixar
A whole bunch of kids in my church.
And that’s pretty much all I can think of now.

Jesus Christ is my favorte philosopher. The world would be a better place if people would be more Christlike, and accept everyone.

S 330- That’s really awesome of you to include your family and friends!

I have so, so many. Jesus Christ first and foremost. I’d have nothing without Him.

1. First, I want to give tribute to Walt Disney. Can you even imagine where animation would be without him? His work is such an easy thing to take for granted. Even for those who aren’t a big fan of Disney films, you have to appreciate all he’s done for the medium and for inspiring millions of others.

2. John Lasseter and all the other creative powerhouses at Pixar, for passing down Walt’s legacy in their own, original stories, and pioneering computer animation as we know it. They’ve also helped save the mother company from spiraling downhill, and now we can safely say Disney’s future is in good hands.

3. Hayao Miyazaki, for making us all feel 10 years old again in worlds where anything can happen if we believe it can.

4. The Beatles, for changing music forever with their creative, inspiring work and their iconic legacy. They make me want to start a band more than anyone else.

5. Freddie Mercury and the rest of Queen, for opening my eyes to music as a high art, for the album Queen II that kept my artistic imagination fertile for ages, and for all the smiles and fun times. You gave me my drive to play the piano.

6. Roald Dahl, for reminding me that adulthood isn’t as bad as people make it, if you bring along a little of your childhood with you.

I’m sorry, but I’m about to reuse about half of Leirin’s list. 8D That’s what you get for being so awesome!!! Anyway, I’ll be frank, most of the people I wish to be much like…aren’t real. They’re film characters. So, I’ll try to stay with those who really live(d).

(1) Jesus–This might be a very stereotypical choice, but I don’t care. Jesus Christ is my favorite person of all time. He is my favorite idea of all time. And, the fact is, without him, I would be dead. In 6th grade, God was the only way I didn’t eliminate myself from the equation. I’ll avoid the details, because I know nobody really cares, but I will say that I have not been so miserable and careless before or since. When I was saved, I realized I did have a friend. I’m not evangelist, and I won’t be, because I don’t care what religion other people choose. But I really owe everything to one factor, and that is faith.

(2) Walt Disney—Say what you will, but he was first and foremost an innovator. Just thinking of everything he did for films and animation is too much for me. Honestly, as odd is this may be, I’ll say it anyway. I love Walt Disney much more than anyone I’ve met in person, and wish that somehow I might have met him. Even though he died 30 years before I existed. :frowning:

(3)All of the Pixar directors. Each of them has made a major contribution, if not 2 or 3. I have favorites, but I’ll face it, without these dudes, I wouldn’t have a personality.

Look at them!!! They even look like tons of fun. 8D

(4)Hayao Miyzaki: Honestly, I like most of this guy’s movies as well as the Pixar films. Honestly, I like some of his much better than some of Pixar’s and Disney’s. I can’t believe I only recently saw them, because, wow!! They’re incredible. They have such lovely land scapes, definitely nothing Disney has attempted. Not even close. Some of them are so beautiful the scenery could make me cry. The heart and animation in some of these movies is just as powerful as the messages implied about the Earth and female strength. I definitely like and admire him just as much as Bird and Lasseter.

(5) George Washington–Do I have to justify this? Ah, I love random facts about this guy. Apparently, whenever he believed a battle was going to be lost, he lead it. He let other people lead good-looking battles, too. Nothing like the majority of today’s politicians, he wanted to unite and form a nation, not two sectors of political maniacs slinging mud at each other. He wanted everyone to be together, not to have all the glory to himself, and not for one party to “win”. He should probably be higher on my list, but I order these guys as they come to mind, which I consider to show their importance in my eyes.

Oh my GOSH! Why did I not put him on my list?! :smiley: Definitely my favorite president and a huge inspiration!!

Well, here’s my list:

Jesus(like a few other people here)
Stonewall Jackson
My Papaw
James Dyson
Johnny Cash
Knights Templars(in general)
and a certain meber of the forums :smiley: <3

(not in any certain order)

Yes, he’s one of my favorite people too! And Virginia wrote a lovely tribute.

He would be my favorite president, if not for a few things. Many historians actually credit him for creating the 2 Party System. After all, he appointed both Hamilton and Jefferson to his cabinet, knowing their vast differences, thus creating two feuding men and two fueding parties. This set a precident for things to come. He eventually sided with one party, if not ever coming out and saying ‘I’m a Federalist’.)

But what I do admrie about him is something he did never done in History- stepped down from power. he could of been King if he wanted, many people thought he should. But he declined near unlimited power. He also LEFT a seat of power (Presidency) after 8 years.

It was unheard of! But it was great.

As England’s then King George III said when he heard Washy declined to be King- “If he does that, he will be the greatest man in the world.”

I can’t believe I didn’t put Jesus Christ. Without him I would be nothing.

Glenn: Just out of curiosity, why do you admire Johnny Cash? I like his songs, but as a person, he was…well, ugh. Everyone is flawed, but I honestly do not like him as a person one bit. 8D I think he was kind of a self-righteous jerk, personally.

Bit obvious really, but this person:

He is a genius in his craft. So commited, so passionate, so talented, and absolutly nothing else needs to be said really.

I love JL, too!!! 8D And Brad Bird.

Virginia: In his older years he was a decent man of God and his music reflected it. Also, he is a testament to the idea that people can stop doing bad things and be better people in the end.

Okay then. I think that’s Ray Charles in a nut shell, as well. :slight_smile:

I actually don’t know anything about Johnny Cash’s personal life, but that does interest me.

Loving the amount of Lasseter love in here :smiley:

I suggest you see Walk the Line then!

Exactly. That’s a lot more admirable and intresting than someone who has been good and clean their whole lives.