Pixar Planet

The Hangover Part II (2011)

Here is the place to talk, rave, and discuss the latest non-Pixar films, television shows, music & books.

Moderator: Pixar Planet Moderators

The Hangover Part II (2011)

Postby tribefan695 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:38 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snlWDffZfyk

Safe to say this is the most anticipated R-rated film this summer for most people. Personally I liked the first one, but comedy sequels have a much smaller hit:miss ratio than most sequels, so I'm remaining cautious here.

Even though it more or less looks like the same story from the trailer in a new location, I believe there are some subtle hints at different plot elements that perhaps it's better not to spoil.
tribefan695
Garbage Boy

Re: The Hangover Part II (2011)

Postby The Star Swordsman » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:32 pm

Many of my friends who were fans of the first one are really excited about this one.
The Star Swordsman
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:13 pm

Even though this is the EXACT SAME STORY as the first movie, I'm really excited for it! I plan to see it the night it comes out.

"What is this, a PF Changs?"

:lol:
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby thedriveintheatre » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:40 am

I just watched this week's edition of 'Margaret & David At The Movies' (Australia's answer to Ebert and Roeper). Predictably, the highbrow-cinema duo both gave this dismal ratings (Margaret - 2 stars, David - 1 1/2 stars). Here is the review transcript from the official site; of interest to Pixar fans here is their reference to a certain sequel from last year...

The Hangover Part II
Rated MA
Review by Margaret Pomeranz
Well, it's all happening again. That Hangover thing, where a group of guys get together the night before a wedding and disaster is the result. This time it's Stu, ED HELMS, about to tie the knot with Lauren, JAMIE CHUNG, despite the overt disapproval of her father.

The wedding is in Thailand at a luxury beach resort. Stu is adamant that he doesn't want a bucks' night, considering what happened last time and he doesn't want Alan, ZACH GALIFIANAKIS,included. But Phil, BRADLEY COOPER, and Doug, JUSTIN BARTHA, talk him round. They go for one quiet beer around a fire on the beach and the next thing you know they're in Bangkok much the worse for wear.

The problem of Lauren's missing brother becomes embroiled in missing drug money, a monk with a vow of silence, a nightclub with a specialized trade and a monkey who is a go-between. Unfortunately the writing team of Jon Lucas and Scott Moore who brought a freshness and hilarity to the original must have passed on this rehash, instead we have a screenplay by Craig Mazin and Scot Armstrong with input from director Todd Phillips that is just not that funny. Alan has lost the naivete that made him sort of endearing in the original, in this he's just mostly unpleasant.

There's no sense of wild, eye-popping exhilaration as the boys get deeper and deeper into trouble, there's just a feeling that we've been here before and it was much better the first time around. It's hard to make a sequel as good as the original, particularly when the success of the first Hangover surpassed everyone's expectations. That success was deserved, whatever success PART II has isn't.
Further comments
MARGARET: David, aren't I being tough?

DAVID: Yes, but you're right. It's very disappointing because I enjoyed the first one. It came as a bit of a surprise. It had quite an interesting structure and plot and this one reproduces it slavishly. It's as if you've got to have, almost scene by scene, a copy of the original and, of course, it's not as original anymore and it's less funny, I think.

MARGARET: Even with the inclusion of the guest star.

DAVID: Well, that's right, yes. But having said that, I saw it in a cinema and with quite a lot of people and a lot of them were very amused by it and, I must say, the bits they found funniest are the bits I found least funny.

MARGARET: David, I don't think this is a good thing that we're so out of tune with our audience actually.

DAVID: Well, I don't know if it's our audience or not but, anyway, obviously some people will find this funny but it does push the boundaries as far as it can go, I think, in terms of being borderline offensive.

MARGARET: Well, the fact is that you have expectations because we did enjoy the first and you think that some effort is going to be made to make the sequel at least as good.

DAVID: Yes, but that's the trouble. I think very little effort has been made.

MARGARET: That's why TOY STORY 3 was so remarkable.

DAVID: Yes, because it was a whole...

MARGARET: Because it completely reinvented it.

DAVID: And another thing about this film, I think, if you see it you will never want to go to Bangkok.

MARGARET: I don't know that that's true. Look, I'm giving it two stars.

DAVID: I'm giving it one and a half.

I didn't capitalise the title, by the way, I only bolded it to highlight.

It seems that neither of them have realised that the themes in Toy Story 3 is essentially a rehash of the first two movies (change, rejection, fear of abandonment, trust issues, etc.). :roll:

And while it does portray Bangkok in a pretty horrible light, at least there were some good bits like the monk monastery or the cruises down Mekong River, so it's not all bad. If anything, I think it's a fantastic 'city movie' like Fast Five, Rio, and Ratatouille which show both the good and bad parts of their iconic settings. :|

Besides, I, myself, have been to Bangkok, and, I admit, even watched a transexual cabaret stageshow! My mum thought it would be a 'good experience' to expose us to the more interesting parts of Bangkok's nightlife, though she warned us not to let the 'showgirls' touch us. It was an eye-opening experience; some of the 'girls' there look prettier than most of the real ones, and you can't tell until they speak! And yes, the waters of Mekong is really that muddy, and dirty. Yes, the streets are really that crazy packed. Yes, I went to a monastery there (in the middle of the city) and that's how they look, very tranquil and peaceful (although in my case, with a lot less greenery).

My theatre-mate also told me that he's been to Bangkok many times (since his dad is a businessman) and he claims that he knows the alley where the boys burnt down the nightclub and says it's exactly like that: dirty, crowded, smoky, etc. And you have to give props to Todd Phillips for being brave enough to use a cinema veritie style instead of glossing over the unpleasant aspects. This is Bangkok, warts and all.

I haven't watched the first movie, so I can't comment on the plot similarities, but I think M&D could have used a better example of a sequel that presented themes different from its predecessors than Toy Story 3. Besides, it's not so much the originality of the story, but the execution, as I have reiterated many times before (and I know some members like aerostarmonk may agree with me here).

Besides, I think they're pretentious half the time with their reviews (Mainstream is bad, indy is good), but I still like to watch them just to get a gauge of what to expect for movies in release.
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:33 am

thedriveintheatre wrote:Besides, I, myself, have been to Bangkok, and, I admit, even watched a transexual cabaret stageshow! My mum thought it would be a 'good experience' to expose us to the more interesting parts of Bangkok's nightlife, though she warned us not to let the 'showgirls' touch us. It was an eye-opening experience; some of the 'girls' there look prettier than most of the real ones, and you can't tell until they speak! An

I haven't watched the first movie, so I can't comment on the plot similarities, but I think M&D could have used a better example of a sequel that presented themes different from its predecessors than Toy Story 3.

Really? I want to go to one of those shows for kicks! I watched an episode of Taboo on Nat Geo about beauty in other cultures, and they discussed transexual cabaret shows in Asia. It was informing, I'd like to see one for the heck of it.

And go and see the first movie. It is hilarious, quotable, and fun. And 10x better than the sequel.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby thedriveintheatre » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:29 am

I remember it was no different from a dinner-and-dance show (except a little seedier, it wasn't exactly top of the class). Some of the 'ladies' sit next to the viewers and caress them, but I think it was pretty tame. I was so scared they would 'disturb' us (and this is regardless of their sexuality, as a twelve-year-old, I would be terrified of a bona-fide female as well!), but thankfully they either didn't notice us in the crowd, or they chose not to approach us.

I certainly will, I remembered it was all the rage two years ago but I failed to see what was so great about it. This sequel changed my mind for sure!
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre

Postby The Star Swordsman » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:33 am

Dude, I heard this movie was funny. I'm probably going to see this with a bunch of my friends.
The Star Swordsman

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:36 pm

thedriveintheatre wrote:I certainly will, I remembered it was all the rage two years ago but I failed to see what was so great about it. This sequel changed my mind for sure!

Glad to hear! In my opinion, the first movie is even better.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:08 pm

Due to The Hangover's Box Office Success and large fandom, a third movie is in the works, and will (supposibly) be the finale.

http://www.okmagazine.com/2011/06/hango ... an-ending/
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby Andomar911 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:22 pm

A very funny and cool comedy. Even better than the first part! All the actors played professionally and fit their roles. The first time I saw this film was when I was working in http://samedayessay.com/. It was a good time! And even now I sometimes watch this film when I'm sad!
Andomar911

Postby liany » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:54 am

If you situs jokerbola terbaik are a beginner and want to try agen jokerbola betting handicap gambling, you should first consider the jokerbola login following steps. Because even though it is judi jokerbola terbaik considered easy, you still bandar jokerbola terpercaya need the right strategy so judi jokerbola terbaik that you do not easily lose. The following below, we will situs jokerbola terbaik discuss about some guidelines agen jokerbola for playing Serverbola Handicap online. The first tips many players do not realize in situs jokerbola terbaik choosing a team. To be agen jokerbola safer when playing handicap ball bandar jokerbola terpercaya gambling, you should choose a small team. Because by jokerbola login choosing the team you bandar jokerbola terpercaya can ask voor up to 3 goals. So judi jokerbola terbaik this way you will be easy even if you are just a beginner situs jokerbola terbaik in this gambling event.
liany
Garbage Boy

Return to Film, Television, Music & Books