Pixar Planet

Movies - both new and old

Here is the place to talk, rave, and discuss the latest non-Pixar films, television shows, music & books.

Moderator: Pixar Planet Moderators

Re: Movies - both new and old

Postby Bill » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:43 pm

annarborjack wrote:I saw Terminator Genisys yesterday in good ol IMAX 3D. It was good but not great. It was entertaining and seeing Arnold again was awesome but the story was kinda eh. I liked Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor but Jason Clarke and Jai Courtney could've done better. I'd give it a 7/10.

Damn. That's far better than any critics have been giving it.

Very much looking forward to Southpaw and Best of Enemies. For those who don't know about the latter, here's the trailer: http://www.traileraddict.com/best-of-en ... re-trailer

I'm all for a well-crafted documentary. I haven't seen that many of them as of late. The only one in my collection is Life Itself, although I have been looking to add For No Good Reason for quite some time.
Bill
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:02 am

Just re-watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Easily in my top three favorite films.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby Bill » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:44 pm

Roger Rabbit is to this day my personal favorite film. So many fond memories...
Bill

Postby PixarDude » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:49 am

Just rewatched Forrest Gump yesterday. One of my favorite films ever. Tom Hanks' acting in that film is amazing.
"To Infinity and Beyond!"- Buzz Lightyear
"Never tell me the odds!"- Han Solo
PixarDude
Garbage Boy

Postby totoro » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:40 pm

Let's rate a bit of the backlog of films that I've seen after Pixar got into a kind of "car crash", shall we... ;)

Skyfall - 10/10 (Hands down, the best "Bond" film. Just the right mix of nostalgia and Youtube and an awesome (if mastering-wise butchered) theme song. But whoever thought it was a good idea to have Eve say "VW beetles" instead of "a swarm of beetles" needs to be fishslapped :mrgreen:)

War Horse - 8/10 (A very touching Spielberg movie that flew a bit under the radar, this one proves that sometimes horses make the best actors.)

Gravity - 10/10 (And no, this film does not need 3D at all, it is just as edge-of-your-seat-awesome in 2D. Genius-level directing, writing and sound-mixing, a very worthy Oscar-winner.)

Pianomania - 9/10 (A documentary about a piano technician makes for good entertainment??? It does indeed! :mrgreen: I have a feeling it is funnier if you actually understand German than if you have to rely on the subtitles, though.)

A Letter to Momo - 9/10 (As Studio Ghibli is kindof in "pause mode" these days, it's good to see other animators in Japan delivering the same kind of vibe and quality in their films. This one is clearly one of the best, and comparisons to "Spirited Away" and "Totoro" are not off the mark.)

The Lego Movie - 6/10 (Heavy-handed, convoluted and filled with some excessively annoying characters (Batman, pseudo-Gandalf and Dumbledore, I'm looking at you...). "Everything is awesome"? Not really, but Unikitty is. :mrgreen:

Rocky IV - -1/10 (Yes, it is *that* bad. Actually the only good thing about it is (of all things) Vince DiCola's synth-heavy score, which is kinda drowned in the abysmal sound mix on the Blu-ray.)

But wait... didn't the first Rocky win "best picture"?

Rocky - 9/10 (It took me a while to get used to Bill Conti instead of Vince DiCola (I watched R.IV first), but boy, what they managed to deliver on a shoe-string budget is truly amazing. A perfect cast, awesome acting and an engaging story that in isn't really about boxing at all...)
totoro

Postby Bill » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:39 pm

Trailer for Spotlight is out: http://www.traileraddict.com/spotlight-2015/trailer

Looks actually pretty damn good. Happy to see McAdams especially getting more diverse roles.
Bill

Postby totoro » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:49 pm

Btw. is Mockingjay pt. 1 really that bad compared to the previous two Hunger Games films?
I loved the books and the first two films but the third mostly got bad reviews, so I'm still not sure if it's worth getting the Blu-ray.
totoro

Postby Bill » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:51 pm

The third and likely final trailer for Black Mass is out: http://www.traileraddict.com/black-mass ... al-trailer
Bill

Postby totoro » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:18 am

This is very interesting: Star Trek Axanar, a crowdfunded Star Trek feature film. They already released a 21-minute documentary-style short based on the four-year war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire.
Highly recommended, especially to those who didn't like the Star Trek reboot. :D
totoro

Postby totoro » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:34 pm

Ben Hur - 10/10 (Epic - to summarize it in one word. The chariot race scene remains breathtaking, thanks to it being devoid of cheesy effects - they just shot the whole thing for real! :mrgreen: The restoration they did for the Blu-ray looks and sounds amazing, too.)
totoro

Postby Bill » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:52 pm

Very much looking forward to viewing Touch of Evil, which I've just added to my Blu-ray collection. Came with all three versions: theatrical 96-minute version from '58, preview 109-minute version discovered at Universal in '78; this officially supplanted the first version, and a newly edited definitive reconstructed 111-minute version from '98 using material from both previous versions. You can guess which one I'll be looking at.
Bill

Postby Bill » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:36 am

Patricier - Please refrain from double posting.

Made it halfway through Touch of Evil; had no idea Marlene Dietrich was in this. :shock:
Bill

Postby totoro » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:53 pm

Chappie - -3/10 (As with 'Rocky 4' a brilliant soundtrack (and some great voice acting of the title character) are wasted on a film that does not deserve them in the least. Even without the way it needlessly mistreats religion, 'Chappie' is riddled with plot holes you can drive/fly the "Moose" (a very big robot from the movie) through. No candidate for 'best screenplay' by any stretch of the imagination, and no amount of CGI wizardry can save it. I used to be looking forward to Neill Blomkamp's Alien reboot...but now...not so much. )
totoro

Postby Bill » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:15 am

The first trailer for The Danish Girl is out: http://www.traileraddict.com/the-danish-girl/trailer
Bill

Postby Bill » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:51 pm

Very much looking forward to Crimson Peak. Nice to see del Toro back to his roots... and also when Stephen King and his son rave about the picture after a private screening months before release, you know something's up.
Bill

PreviousNext

Return to Film, Television, Music & Books