Pixar Planet

TV Shows You Watch

Here is the place to talk, rave, and discuss the latest non-Pixar films, television shows, music & books.

Moderator: Pixar Planet Moderators

Postby thedriveintheatre » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:02 am

Off the top of my head, here are some of my faves:

Life
Castle
House
Lie to Me
My Name is Earl
American Dad
Life on Mars (both UK and US)
Futurama
NCIS
CSI Miami
Rove (Aussie talk show)
Rush (Aussie cop drama)
Phua Chu Kang (old Singaporean sitcom comedy)
Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
Kim Possible

Plans to watch:
Miami Vice
Burn Notice
Knight Rider (old series with the Trans-Am)
McGuyver (childhood favourite)

I probably have more, but I'll save that for another post when I have better memory.
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby Dragon of Omnipotency » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:13 am

It's so awkward to watch Kim Possible here, in my country, because everyone's like, "Ew. You watch Kim Possible? That girly show?" Even the nicest guy would go, "Oh, I see, Kim Possible, right" without the "Ew." That's why I stayed away from Powerpuff Girls for a while now. :-\

How about this.... Stop with the stupid reality shows. I am so sick of this stupid nonsense with the stupid phony marriages for money, the munchkin bachelor crap and anything that has to do with greedy dummies who will degrade themselves for cash. And that Simpleton Life with the "French Hilton" woman and that other illegitimate girl. How come these dumb girls didn't get trampled by stupid cattle on that farm? I'm so sick of some pseudo-attractive bimbo selling her soul because she's freaking stupid.

You want reality? How about a reality show where you oil up that Hilton girl and throw her naked butt into an all male jail cell filled with serial killers and sadists. Give them a bunch of twelve-inch sharp objects and let 'em loose. Yeah. Welcome to reality! And don't give me that "You're so cruel" nonsense. Not only would you have a reality show that people would actually want to watch, but you also have a great start for a series on an all new network called The Snuff Channel. You Pick 'Em We Kill 'Em. The whole channel would be dedicated to the elimination of a freaking moron every half-hour! I would be personally involved in every show and would work overtime to ensure that forty-eight idiots were removed from society every day. See, I have ideas.

Oh, and this stupid Fearie Factor nonsense. Oh, woopdee-doo. Eat a bunch of liquefied rats and we'll give you three-thousand dollars. I'm so sick of these shows that try to induce fear. You want to see fear? How about I sit your stupid contestants in a small room and chain 'em down naked into metal chairs that are wired to a heating system? What you do is you turn up the heat slowly over a thirty-two hour period, slowly increasing the amount of heat conducted through the metal chairs until it's as hot as a branding iron. And once they've passed out due to the extreme pain brought about by a thirty-two hour burning flesh fest, hang 'em on a wall by their arms in a room where the only visible thing is a sign that says, "You have this much time left to live." with a countdown underneath, starting at twenty-four hours and counting down by the second. So now they've got to hang there, just watching the clock, wondering... What's going to happen.... How are they gonna die.... Will it be worse than the heating chair?.... No one knows.... Once the clock gets down the final seconds you turn on the lights and yell "Surprise!". And if they don't die of a heart attack, you hit 'em in the face with a large pie. Sit back, all laugh, pretend it's all a joke. Lull them into a false sense of security by saying, "You've won ten million dollars!"

Then, take out the razors and salt. You put one cut on their body, two inches long, every fifteen minutes. And then hire some toothless bum to slowly tear open the wounds with his filthy fingernails while pouring salt in the cuts at the same time. I could go on, but I think that's a little too much reality for some of you. And I don't want to read about "How sick and twisted you, your ideas and concepts are." You don't like it, too bad. If television had some decent shows to occupy and entertain my mind, I wouldn't have such demented thoughts. So, it's your fault, not mine. Welcome to reality TV, jerks!

~ Your lord and master, Flare
Advertisement of the moviepocalypse. LLGMs!
Dragon of Omnipotency
Toy Collector

Postby lizardgirl » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:31 pm

You know, you really sound like Charlie Brooker sometimes, Dragon of Omnipotency. :lol: If you don't know who he is, you should search for some of his TV clips on YouTube- I swear some of the stuff you've said about reality TV shows and your own ideas of what they should be like are just the sort of stuff he says. He's amazing. :lol:

Anyway, yay new series of Ugly Betty! It's been a long time but it seems like it's worth the wait- it's been good so far! Though I have to wonder where Betty's 'guys' are, it seems like she's abandoned the both of them.
Like looking at or creating Pixar fanart? Then you'll love PixarPlanetdA!
lizardgirl
Pixar Planet dA Administrator

Postby woody » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:41 pm

I ususally follow the Biggest Loser, Wipeout, and, I survived a Japanese Game Show. Although I do enjoyWizards of Waverly Place, Sonny With a Chance, and Hannah Montana. It's just always so hard to catch all the episodes of those...
woody
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Dragon of Omnipotency » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:39 am

Happy 4th of July, Americans and happy Twilight Zone Marathon (original series!) on the Sci-Fi channel. One of the best shows ever. Heart, smarts & imagination. Love it! :D

~ Flare
Advertisement of the moviepocalypse. LLGMs!
Dragon of Omnipotency
Toy Collector

Postby Sky » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:07 am

Aw, man. I've been dying to see old episodes of the Twilight Zone, but the Sci-Fi Channel isn't playing that marathon, just Amazing Stories.
Sky
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby FounderofAzn » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:55 pm

Thank you from the Americans, Dragon! Recorded and watched the Twilight marathon as well.

My cousin persuaded me to watch something called Dance Your --- Off. It's a dancing show for fat people. There was this performance where this woman was dancing to Disturbia by Rihanna....and there was skin flying all over the place. Who came up with this idea?
I am Andrew Ryan and I am here to ask you a question: Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?
FounderofAzn
Toy Collector

Postby TAMATER » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:01 pm

I only watched a few episodes of The Twilight Zone marathon, and only three or Four before that. I would agree though that it is one of the best shows of all time, and the best Science Fiction show ever made. :) Nowadays I usally just watch Science at the Movies, Biography Channel, Monster Quest, or whatevers on the History Channel, The Simpsons, King of the Hill, Malcom in the Middle, Drake and Josh, Jeopardy, Wheel of Fourtane, reruns of old Spongebob episodes, sometimes Adult Swim, and I just bought Season one of the Universe. I think this is probably one of the best space shows ever made! :P
My name's Mater. Like Tamater. Without the Ta'!
TAMATER
Toy Collector

Postby LightningAndDoc » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:09 pm

I love to watch Danny Phantom (why'd Nick have to cancel it!!!!!!), Family Guy, iCarly, Drake and Josh, Hannah Montana, America's Funniest Home Videos, Wipeout, and I Survived a Japanese Game Show. Sometimes the History Channel if there's something good on.
Cars Commentary download Yeah, I'm in love with Paul Newman, so what! I'm a Pixarteer!!
LightningAndDoc
Toy Collector

Postby Pixart » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:44 pm

do anyone here like icarly i love that show

Anyways here is my list of my fave shows:

1)24

2) The office

3) ICarly

4) Wizards of wavery place

5) true jackson vp
I have seen UP 1,567 times
Pixart
Garbage Boy

Postby FounderofAzn » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:35 am

I was on my cable station and they had South Park episodes for viewing. Hilarious. I don't care how crude and vulgar it is, some of the things the characters say are absolutely true regarding the current world, and it's stupidly funny. Too bad a lot of people find this show..."startling"...the newest season's episodes are very good.
I am Andrew Ryan and I am here to ask you a question: Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?
FounderofAzn
Toy Collector

Postby bright dot-dasher » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:24 pm

Used to really enjoy That's So Raven (I love the idea, and the comedy's so hilarious and more creative than most current Disney Channel shows) until Disney Channel took that away from me. Disney Channel tried to entertain fans of Cory, perhaps the funniest character on That's So Raven, by creating a brand new show all about him: Cory in the House. Therefore taking the place of That's So Raven. What can I say?

That's So Raven rocked. Cory in the House didn't.

It just didn't win me over. I thought the first show was better. Raven's visions and schemes were more interesting than Cory's moneymaking schemes.

Same for The Suite Life.

Used to really enjoy The Suite Life of Zack and Cody, especially the earlier episodes where the little twin brothers would get into all kinds of trouble and mischeif.

Then, the show stopped, and they switched to The Suite Life on Deck. I'm not a fan anymore. I liked Maddie better than Bailey, because Maddie handles London better. Zack is getting predictable- he's always after another girl so why should new episodes be any different? And what's with Woody? Why'd they have to name that character Woody in the first place? It just reminds me of Toy Story, and I'd hate to compare Toy Story to that guy.

I used to also enjoy Phineas and Ferb. Guess what? Lost my enthusiasm for it later. It's quite predictable, everything. And more kid-cartoonish than any other show I've seen on Disney.

Right now the only show I watch on Disney Channel is Wizards of Waverly Place. It sometimes can remind me of That's So Raven, but I find it quite more original than the other shows Disney Channel has right now.

I used to love Lilo and Stitch: The Series, despite the poor animation. I just like Stitch so much I am a fan of the show even if the show doesn't do him and Lilo justice (does that make sense?). I love the crossovers!

Man oh man what I would give to see Disney Channel show House of Mouse again. That's one of my favorites. Recess was entertaining, too. Espescially the kids' eye-view of the school. The little kindergarteners being like little savages and the oldest kid in the school being like an emperor. What happened to make them remove the shows I'll never know.

American Dragon: Jake Long was epic for me. Not Classic Disney material (well hey, it's a TV series), but really good and I caught up with all the episodes. I was intrigued by Jake's relationship with Rose, which is really awkward for me because I usually roll my eyes at teenage relationships being brought up in the middle of a good story. Then again, maybe it's because Jake is so loyal to Rose, unlike the live "action" comedies where the teens switch dates every 2 episodes or something.

Was mildly entertained by The Emperor's New School but I think it ruined The Emperor's New Groove, as did the cheapquel Kronk's New Groove. They modernized so much, and made Kuzco even dumber (you'd think he should have got his education throughout his life instead of at the last minute!). The morals and lessons he learned are speeded for him to learn within thirty minutes, rather than going through a long journey and gradually changing the hard way like in the first movie. I repeat, this show practically ruined what the first movie was all about.

(Yes, all the shows I mentioned are or were on Disney Channel.)

So, my favorites are Wizards of Waverly Place and House of Mouse (which Disney Channel really oughta bring back!).

Oh, and America's Funniest Home Videos. (Finally something besides Disney Channel!)

Sorry, I just went on and on on a little rant there, huh? [/i]
thank you, little_chef_eva09![/quote]
bright dot-dasher
Master Scarer

Postby thedriveintheatre » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:17 am

I am so massively excited for the Season 2 return of Rush, an Australian cop show drama that premiered last year. It follows the lives of members of an elite special police response unit called the Tactial Response team (it has to be fictional since they take some creative licence with the uniforms and vehicles, but it's largely based on Melbourne's real-life Critical Incident Response Team). It's in the vein of 24 and Spooks (a great Brit production I recently discovered, by the way) in terms of that it takes place largely in real-time and they try to stop the criminals before they commit the felony rather than solve the crime once it's done (like CSI, or any other standard police procedural out there).

It's the only Aussie drama I actually enjoy (I don't really care much for those Neighbours or Home & Away sitcoms, and I tried City Homicide and The Strip last year and didn't really get into it) and I've actually religiously watched every episode. If I miss it on air, I even try to catch up online!

Each episode is relatively self-contained as the team deals with an emerging crisis (or several!), but there are overarching story arcs like the requisite romantic liaisons and clashes with superiors. Frankly, I don't get quite emotionally-invested in the characters as other law enforcement agents in say, Life, Castle or Lie to Me, because most of the time they look angry or upset (again, kinda like 24) with little respite from the demands of their job. It's actually emotionally-draining, and I did wish they have more comic relief in there (but I guess it would mess with the 'feel' of the show) but most of the 'fun' is in watching how they defuse each crisis, whether it be bank robbers, terrorist bombers, teenage party riots (which was eerily ripped straight from the headlines) or VIP kidnappings.

Sometimes, they even fail and suffer the emotional trauma that comes with it, which gives it that sense of gritty, down-to-earth reality that the more optimistic U.S. detective shows lack (solve the crime, catch the perp, happy ending). I was devastated when [spoil]Claire van de Boom character's[/spoil] died, cos' she was my favourite female from the team, but oh well, at least they have newcomer Jolene Anderson to replace her.

Only one more day to go! Have any Aussies or people overseas heard of this?

P.S. I even released a fan TV spot set to the theme of one of my favourite cop movies, New Police Story, it's on my channel as the Featured Vid.
thedriveintheatre

Postby NanoGeek » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:10 pm

Anyone here watched the Dick van Dyke Show? It's great. Look up some of the episodes on YouTube if you haven't seen it already.
NanoGeek
Shark Bait

Postby thedriveintheatre » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:48 am

Any folks from Kangaroo Land watch Masterchef Australia? I'm not a big fan of reality shows (cos' I think most of them are inane and stupid, and I'd rather hear a good story than watch 'real-life' :|), but I'm forced to watch this every freakin' night because my younger brother's a huge fan of it. :roll:

Anyway, I do enjoy it from time to time when they come up with fantastic-looking dishes, but man, do I hate George and Gary (I dunno, they come off a bit snooty to me). I thought Matt, the guy with the cravats (he even has a name for each one!) would be the annoying one (from his frowns in the promos), but he actually came off as the nicest!

Ugh :x, anyway, three of my favourites are out; I call them "Cate Blanchett" (Linda Kowalski), "Cobra Bubbles" (Tom Mosby) and "Me" (Andre Ursini). Whenever the last guy's name is mentioned in particular, I always answer the TV (even if I'm in another room) to annoy my bro.

George: "Andre?"
Me: "YES?"

:lol:

I only have two left who I want to win, "Happy Fat Lady" (Julie Goodwin) and "The Panda" (Poh Ling Yeow, a fellow Malaysian, by the way! :D). I do not want beer merchant Chris Badenoch to win, for the love of good food and wine! He may be an excellent chef, but he always has a sour face and fellow contestants complain about his self-centered attitude and underhanded tactics (Poh hinted in a recent interview how Chris sabotaged her for a previous challenge, true or not, we don't know, but there can't be smoke with no fire...). People suspect he has had professional training before, as he keeps mentioning he has a "friend" who helps him out.

I recently joked with my brother that this "friend" of his is really a rat hiding under his fedora, giving him a hand. :mrgreen:

Here's the theme song, I like the Katy Perry song choice.
MasterChef opener
thedriveintheatre

PreviousNext

Return to Film, Television, Music & Books