Pixar Planet

TV Shows You Watch

Here is the place to talk, rave, and discuss the latest non-Pixar films, television shows, music & books.

Moderator: Pixar Planet Moderators

Postby Sky » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:27 am

I have watched bits of Master Chef. I didn't like The Biggest Loser because it's just one plot twist after another....
Sky
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby thedriveintheatre » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:30 pm

Wow, Episode 1 of Rush Season 2 was waay better than last season's domestic dispute/car accident pilot! :D Glad that it's got an earlier timeslot and being promoted more heavily than last year, I can't wait to see the next ep (from the ads, it looks like they'll have to perform a high-rise rescue of a Playboy bunny dangling from a banner :lol:).

And I just watched the season finale of Masterchef. I'm sorry, but I'm utterly disappointed. I was hoping Poh would win since she's obviously the better cook (Julie has a great personality, but she kept mucking up her dishes and can hardly stay calm under pressure). It proved what one food critic in today's newspaper said, that if Julie won, it would prove the show was more of a popularity contest than one that judged talent. Still, can't say I'm not happy for her; she looked so glad when she was announced the winner and her family came to congratulate her, so I'm happy for her. And I had an enjoyable three months of watching contestants mess up their dishes, spontaneously combusting in that cheesy flame transition to the ad breaks, Matt's frown, George hopping in place, Gary's eternal poker face, Julie's wiping sweat off her brow, and Poh's cheshire cat grin (my brother and I always laugh at Poh cause she looks like one of those miniature cat statues of luck they have on Chinese restaurant counters with her constant smiling). Regardless of who won, most of the finalists now have a jumpstart in their cooking career thanks to the show. I'm just glad Mr "Grumpy Face" Chris didn't win. :)

If it's any consolation, they aired the first Australian TV spot I've seen for Up, two months before its September 19 release date! I'm sooo elated, that made my night more than a televised cooking show, to be honest! :D :D :D
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby Captain Pan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:21 pm

Chuck... Yvonne Strahovski, and Zach Levi add Sarah Lancaster and you have an eventful show full of laughs... and a lovely shot at the traditional Spy genre and nice empowerment for Supergeeks like me!

Top Gear Well we're on Episode 5 of 7 of the latest Series (13) in the UK... and tonight being Episode 5 sees more eventful stunts and challenges from Captain Slow, Clarkson and The Hamster!

Ugly Betty The Uk has not long received series 3 so we're in the middle of it!

Total Wipeout ts a Knockout with the Hamster at the Helm! very funny... The American Version is good too... but then The Hamster is more entertaining, and in my opinion should be offered a role in Cars 2, as a Opel Cadet from the 60s!
Captain Pan
Garbage Boy

Postby lizardgirl » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:15 pm

Haha, that Top Gear episode was awesome, Captain Pan. Captain Slow won for once! :lol: I love how so many people watch the programme even if they don't have an interest in cars, including myself.
Like looking at or creating Pixar fanart? Then you'll love PixarPlanetdA!
lizardgirl
Pixar Planet dA Administrator

Postby WALL·E » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:07 pm

It's good, but recently the scripting has become a bit more obvious :(.

Mock the week: epic.
Mitchell and Webb look: epic.
(recently) Torchwood: epic.

Can't say I watch that much TV though.
WALL·E
Master Scarer

Postby thedriveintheatre » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:49 am

I LOVE Top Gear! It's like the ultimate car show for motoring enthusiasts! I used to watch and tape the half-hour cuts on BBC until I realised the actual show was an hour-long! I've watched a few episodes here and there whenever they show it on SBS (an Australian 'artsy-alternative-programming' channel). They have an Oz version (into its 2nd season), but I have not been impressed by the episodes I've seen so far.

My bro watches Chuck. I watched the pilot on a plane trip and was turned off by the far-fetched stupidity of it all (and it came off a little like Wanted with a hot chick saving a geek in a car chase). But my bro says he's watched the first season and it's good, so maybe I should give it a second chance.

I've heard great news about Torchwood. It's a spin-off from Doctor Who, right? I've heard the same about Doctor Who. Hm, maybe I should give those two a try.

Has anyone watched Life on Mars? It's a great detective show that harks back to the cop shows back in the 70s like Starsky & Hutch or The Rookies. I've watched a couple of episodes from both the US and UK version, and while I appreciated the grimy, gritty feel of the Brit original, I prefer the Americana adaptation, because I guess I'm more used to the US slang and police conventions, not to mention, it feels 'lighter' than the Brit's morose one. But it's a personal preference, and they're both good in their own right. I'm really pumped for the Brit sequel Ashes to Ashes coming to ABC. It features Gene Hunt again, this time paired with a female cop and in the 80s (my favourite decade!). I think they already aired this like a year ago in the UK, but I guess I can catch up on Free-To-Air.

Speaking of Brit cop shows on ABC, there's another Brit production inspired by a US show in turn that I really love. It's Spooks, which shows on Monday nights here. I discovered it while late-night channel-surfing a month ago, and I watched the episode where they faked the death of an agent by poison and resuscitated her in a church (don't know which one was that). Since then, I'm hooked! The storylines are ripped straight from the headlines, the characters intriguing with back stories, the themes compelling (the effects of deceit and betrayal among fellow agents) and the action relentless! It's like a Brit version of 24 (down to the split-screen techniques, real-time events, and the episode 'closer'), only more stylish and featuring the entire team rather than a one-man army. Unlike other shows I've seen, not a single episode has disappointed me so far, which is quite impressive! It's my new "Show-to-look-forward-to-every-week"!

Oh, and I just watched the second episode of Rush! It just keeps getting better; this time, they go undercover to investigate a drug syndicate run by uni students and two of the runners are a Malaysian and Singaporean! There's even a point where Stella (one of the cops) has to communicate with the Malaysian in dialect (with Lawson the team leader, barking for someone who can speak "Asian" :lol:). I didn't like how they make S'pore out to be this unforgiving place where you face the death penalty (although it's very true!), but I liked how they used contemporary issues to be the focus of each episode. And aw man, the opening Playboy bunny rescue sequence, it's so freakin' awesome!

If no one has any idea what I'm talking about, you can watch 'em online. Be warned, I'd give this a Mature rating for partial nudity and drug themes.
thedriveintheatre

Postby WALL·E » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:31 am

Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes = Awesome. Meh, I don't like the American adaptation.
WALL·E
Master Scarer

Postby little_chef_eva09 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:04 pm

I just recently started watching episodes of Chowder on YouTube.... I'm not real big into cartoons (completely turned off by Spongebob...), but someone told me I should give it a watch. Man, I love that kid! He's so freakin' hilarious; and his voice is really different and adorable.

And omg.... the first time I heard Schnitzel I literally started laughing out loud. "RadaRadaRadaRada..."!!! :lol: The interaction between Chowder and Panini gets some laughs out of me, too. Like I said - I've never been into cartoons, but this one got me.

little chef
// Find me on: deviantART // Twitter // Tumblr //
little_chef_eva09

Postby bright dot-dasher » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:32 pm

I've recently been watching episodes of House of Mouse on YouTube (because there's nowhere else to watch it anyway) and I love it! I haven't seen it in what?-eight years?- and I totally miss watching it on TV on Disney Channel. It used to be rerunned on Toon Disney as well, but then *coughcoughstupidcoughcough* Disney XD had to take over and Disney cartoon series went almost completely out of business. House of Mouse gone altogether.

They have interesting puns, crossovers, funny made-up advertisements and also feature classic Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, Goofy, and Pluto cartoons!

(Here's some memorable puns I feel like quoting)
Goofy: Funny menus?
Max: Yeah, you know, like Baby Hunchback Ribs, Winnie the Poi, The Lion King Crab with Zazucchini?

Max: Mulan gets the Great Wall of Chowder....Maleficent, your Bibbidi Bobbidi Stew is coming right up....)

Ugh, I hate how underrated Disney is making their old animated characters nowadays. They've taken away House of Mouse and now in Playhouse Disney- they're making Mickey Mouse and his friends CG and only for little preschoolers! What have they done!!??
thank you, little_chef_eva09![/quote]
bright dot-dasher
Master Scarer

Postby Mykonos_Fan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:32 pm

I like to watch the Glenn Beck Program, Mythbusters, Family Guy, The Simpsons, Chowder, Monster Quest (though they never find much great evidence), and The Office.
UP Count (Start Date: May 29th, 2009; 7:15 P.M.): Theaters: 1 BD-DVD: 9 Total: 10Image
Mykonos_Fan
Mutant Toy

TV

Postby mo » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:35 am

Well, my little sister watches Disney channel, nickelodeon, and cartoon network pretty much all the time, so I'm completely sick of anything on those channels. The one I hate the most is without a doubt, iCarly. I have never laughed while watching it (and I have to watch it a lot when I'm babysitting).

As for shows I like, they are Family Guy, Futurama, The Colbert Report, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, South Park, The Office, Whitest Kids u' Know (mostly from Youtube because it's hardly on TV anymore), and of course...
Tumblr is where I spend most of my online time these days
mo
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Unbreakable » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:04 am

I watch many TV shows, including;

The Simpson's, Prison Break, NCIS, The Bill, Pimp My Ride, Viva La Bam. That's just a few. :)
Unbreakable
Ant

Re: TV

Postby WALL·E » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:15 am

mo wrote:Well, my little sister watches Disney channel, nickelodeon, and cartoon network pretty much all the time, so I'm completely sick of anything on those channels. The one I hate the most is without a doubt, iCarly. I have never laughed while watching it

This. (and Hannah Montana and That's So Raven. GAH). Fortunately, to save money my parents canceled the kids channels. But there's still a free to air one and now endless episodes of Tracy Beaker. GRRRR
WALL·E
Master Scarer

Postby thedriveintheatre » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:13 pm

I watched the pilot episode of Ashes to Ashes yesterday (well, actually, two days ago, since it's already past midnight here) on ABC. I know the Brits have got it earlier than Oz (in fact, I think Season 2 is airing there now), so count yourselves lucky! Anyway, pretty similar to Life on Mars (I also watched the pilot episode when it aired 2007); cop gets killed in modern times and travels back to the past and gets paired with obnoxious politically-incorrect copper Gene Hunt, brilliantly played by Philip Glenister. This time, it's a female detective and single mother, Alex Drake (the comely Keeley Hawes), who is shot in the head by a mysterious stranger who knows her by name. She finds herself transported to the 80s, the decade of cheesy pop ballads and even cornier dress fashion, whereupon she discovers she apparently applied for a transfer to Gene's department. And so begins our duo's misadventures in crime, all in Hunt's souped-up Quattro to take on the mean streets of London old-school style. If the first episode is anything to go by, it seems this new series has a more funny and breezy feel to it, probably to reflect the light-hearted and over-the-top tone of cop shows from that decade. No matter, the point is, A2A succeeds in balancing self-reflecting humour with serious mystery intrigue (WTH is with that clown?) to deliver another winner for British drama. Great replacement for Spooks on Monday nights!

I also recently became a fan of Rescue Special Ops. Hot on the heels of recent cop shows Rush (Channel Ten) and City Homicide (Channel 7), Channel 9 premieres its new Australian drama that manages to stand out from the crowd by offering a novel twist on the standard police procedural formula. Coming off as a cross between the fire brigade, paramedics, and critical response units, the members of the 'Special Ops Rescue' team go where few of us dare tread. Be it a rescue-search operation in the Blue Mountains (which was the plot of the pilot, and ripped straight from the headlines), talking down a base jumper from the top of Sydney Tower (the second episode, I even recognise some of the streets! :D), or saving a mob boss from a nightclub inferno (next episode), these daredevils risk their lives to save others, while juggling life, love and career. Like A2A, it's more 'relaxed' and easygoing than its direct competitors Rush and Homicide, but knows when to pull the emotional punches if need be (the first ep's plane crash survivor plotline was a particularly memorable one). I'll be seeing the next few episodes, but for the moment, it looks promising. :)
thedriveintheatre

Postby lennonluvr9 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:51 pm

So now I've started watching Star Trek: The Animated Series. It's not bad, all things considered. Taking into account it was made in 1973 with kiddies in mind. It's cheaply animated to say the least, and sometimes it can get kinda silly. But the characters are drawn pretty well, and most of the stories are decent. Plus the original cast came back to do the voice acting. In fact some of those episodes I would have loved to have seen in the live action series.
~Celeste~
"You would not believe what I've been through tonight!"

"That's what comes of teaching science by television" -Prof. Foot, Help!
lennonluvr9
Master Scarer

PreviousNext

Return to Film, Television, Music & Books