Batman: The Dark Knight

I’m surprised there hasn’t been a discussion of the movie yet! It’s already become one of the biggest films in a long time. So what do you guys think of the movie?[/spoiler]

I don’t get what all the praise is about. Could not get into it at all. Maybe it was because some of the audience were talking. Maybe it was because I wasn’t at all surprised by the story and I felt like I was going over old ground. And maybe it was because I couldn’t help but laugh anytime ‘Batman’ talked like he had a mouthful of gravel. It wasn’t bad at all but I wasn’t at all blown away.

I thought that this movie was absolutely brilliant. I loved it so much. Probably one of my favorite films of the year. It was really intense and scary at the same time. THe action scenes were marvelous, Ledger did an outstanding job as the Joker, and it kept me on the edge of my seat.

There were some parts where I thought the movie dragged a little bit. And my final complaint is about Batman’s voice. I think it sounded too much like a grizzly bear.

Other than that, really enjoyable movie.

Batman has to sound like that guys. The difference of just glasses and a business suit ain’t gonna cut it in these films (Curse you Lois Lane!!).

I loved the film. Thought it was brilliant. Ledger’s performance was fantastic and left me craving more, but unfortunately, none can be had. [spoil]I was convinced as soon as he made the pencil disappear[/spoil]. At some points I didn’t know whether to laugh or not at his sadistic, evil crimes. I mean, they are sadistic and evil but he did funny things at the same time so it made it hard whether to laugh or not. I feel if I ever became a criminally insane bad guy, I’d be the Joker. [spoil]No fear of death. He laughed at Batman as he fell to his (almost) impending doom. [/spoil]

And Gary Oldman is great as well as Michael Caine as always.

9/10.

I loved Dark Knight - absolutely brilliant film.
It is definitely one of my favorite films of the year. Along with WALL-E and Pineapple Express.

I thought everything in the film was done extremely well, and the acting was superb. And while yes the story may seem a tad familiar to some (Like whomever said that previously), this is a comic-book adapted film, so that would be something you should come to expect if you read the comics.

Anyways, yes. Anyone who likes movies NEEDS to see The Dark Knight. This film is just one of those films that could be said “You really haven’t seen anything until you’ve seen The Dark Knight.”

It’s a great movie, but it’s far far far far far too overhyped. #1 of all time on IMDB? It wasn’t even close to #1, IMO. I’m hoping either Pineapple Express knocks it off the #1 BO spot this week, or that Clone Wars does so next week. Just so you all won’t think I’m talking out my butt, here are some legitimate problems I had with the movie:

Too long. There were entire sequences they could’ve cut out to reduce time. I was getting antsy wondering when it would end in the theater.

Two Face. Eckhart was great as Dent, but meh as Two Face. Not only was his acting as Two Face unconvincing, but the CGI was too.

This movie is entitled “The Dark Knight” but The Joker stole the show. He’s really the only reason I think the movie is as good as it is, considering Batman is hardly in it.

The invention near the end of the movie, giving Fox and Batman the power to essentially see a God’s eye view of everything that was happening, was basically the equivalent of a “Mary Sue” electronic device. It was too much, gave them too much power, and even though they destroyed it at the end, it didn’t feel “right” in the Batman universe for such a device to be used.

Batman still sounds like he needs a coughdrop.

You’ve seen the 4 minute sneak peek right? It’s so awful. That movie is going to get so panned!

Actually, in Kingdom Come (set in the future maybe 30ish years) Batman ends up patrolling Gotham using a team of robots that essentially do the same thing as the device in the movie, so the question of how far Batman is willing to go to maintain justice and order is and has been brought up in comics.

Mreh. It was alright.

The Joker was by far the most interesting and well-acted character of the film, which actually made Batman look really stupid and sort of annoying. What was with Batman’s silly voice? I think someone needs a Strepsil or two.

I don’t usually get confused by films, but The Dark Knight lost me a couple of times along the way. It was a great experience watching it, but it’s certainly not one of the best films I’ve ever seen.

I think it is safe to say the part that kept me on the edge of my seat [spoil]was the two boats and bombs. I would really hate to be on either one of them.[/spoil]

TSS- And yet the whole thing begs the question, is the Joker some sort of God? Does he have super powers? Or is he cloned? Apparently so, as [spoil]he is able to rig up an entire hospital with bombs, and two ferries in a short amount of time.[/spoil] Someone posting on the IMDb elaborates much more on this, but it’s true- it doesn’t make sense. Obviously, The Dark Knight is not trying to be realistic, but it breaks its own rules sometimes, and I found this very noticeable throughout the film.

Though yes, I have to agree, that bit is very cool and intense. :laughing:

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!

This movie is the best film of the year so far. This movie is fantastic!

My 2nd favorite film of all time now!

I saw it for the 3rd time friday night, and I finally understood what some of the people were saying. That’s the only complaint I have with the movie. Also,here’s my favorite quote from the film:

The Joker: [holding a knife inside Gambol’s mouth] Wanna know how I got these scars? My father was…a drinker. And a fiend. And one night he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn’t like that. Not. One. Bit. So, me watching, he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it. Turns to me and he says “Why so serious?” Comes at me with the knife,“Why so serious?” He sticks the blade in my mouth. “Let’s put a smile on that face!”"

like my new avatar?

I don’t think he is. He does pretty much now have control of Gotham’s underground so it can’t be that hard to get stuff done. I also think the film exaggerates shortness of time between attacks. And also I think the Joker would have had pretty much all his attacks running simultaneously. He’s not the one laying the bombs and stuff, he has others to do it, he just has to move around to the different crime scenes.

The thing about when [spoil]Joker talks about how he got his scars, he tells a different story everytime to new characters. I believe this makes him a lot more mysterious.[/spoil]

What was everyone’s favorite part?

Mine was… that whole scene when the Joker keeps screaming “HIT ME!!” (this line shows his true feelings… he wants to die within himself) and Batman falls. Then they bring the Joker to the police station, Gordon returns, then starts to interrogate the Joker, and then leaves. Then Batman comes out of the shadows and fights him. And that’s when he tells him about Rachel and Harvey in the warehouse(s) and Batman ends up saving Harvey and inadvertently killing Rachel, which starts Two-Face and really says to us that Batman has lived long enough to see himself become the villain. Yes, I just like that whole segment of the film. I know there’s a lot of different stuff in it, but the scene really has everything packed into it.

To my own disbelief, the hype I have over this movie is leagues ahead of WALL-E. I was never a big Bat fan. It didn’t suit well with my taste up until I saw Batman Begins. Knight should take in $500 million; it’s like a shockwave was felt around the world and I’m still not a part of it.

Exchange between me and my dentist (who’s 26):
Me: “I must be the only person in the United States who hasn’t seen The Dark Knight yet.”
Dentist: “You are.”
Me: “Did you see it? Was it good?”
Dentist: “Yes. It was pretty good. It made $3 million already.”
Me: “Because $3 million is so much money these days.”
Dentist: “I mean $300 million!!”
Me: (to assistant) “Well, have you seen it too?”
Him: “Yeah. It was pretty good.”
Me: “Ahhh!”

I hope it will stay in IMAX until late September so we could go on my brother’s birthday. I’m a colossal Chris Nolan fan – The Prestige rocked my world!! To anyone who’s seen Dark Knight in IMAX, what happens to the picture when it changes from widescreen to IMAX camera footage? Does it fill the entire screen? giddy

~Sarah

TS2: My favorite part was probably the last 20 minutes of the entire fil. THat was where it got me to the edge of my seat.

I saw this movie on the IMAX that was an experience in itself.

To answer the question my favorite scene is [spoil]when the 18 wheeler truck flipped over[/spoil]

and I like how [spoil]he [the joker] made the pencil disappear[/spoil].

My favorite scene is probably [spoil]the moment the Joker walks in on Gamble’s little get together with the TV.

Also, every scene in the interegation room. :stuck_out_tongue:[/spoil]