• … or do you love 24
  • … or do you hate 24
  • … want to see 24
  • … can’t see 24

0 voters

Have you seen the show 24?
i have and this new season is really cool
i will talk about the latest show i saw tonight later
P.S. if you dont know where you can find the show just go to channel Fox17 on mondays 8:00 centeral time

I saw one episode and was deeply annoyed by it, and therefore didn’t bother to watch it again. :laughing:

lizardgirl - Why is that I may ask? :smiley: Must be the fact that Jack Bauer practically runs around shooting people and screaming obscenities (like his catchphrase “D**n it!”), or that nobody needs to eat or go the loo for an entire day, or that everyone is a traitor or a mole in CTU, or that you can drive from one end of L.A. to another in less than 15 minutes…or that annoying digital clock that bookends each commercial break and the end of the episode… :laughing:

Seriously, the show is just so impossible if you take a step back and think hard about it, but if you just take it each episode as it is and sit in for the ride, you don’t notice these illogical fallacies… and that’s why I love it. It makes you really believe that you can achieve a lot in one day! :smiley:

As you can probably tell from my avatar and my recent Cars crossover fanfic that’s now sitting on the backburner (but I have plans to kickstart it again sometime in the first quarter of the year), I’m a huge fan of this show. It all started when I saw an episode (I think it was the one where a nerve gas was released in a mall from the 3rd season) in Malaysia and thought it pretty interesting. I saw another episode in Singapore on late-night sometime later and my curiousity was piqued by the digital clock readout feature. They then aired the 5th season on Saturday evenings and I religiously watched it until they cancelled it midway (back in 2006). I have since bought and watched the first season, and have plans to play catch-up with the other five seasons. (Yes, I’m waaay behind!)

It’s kinda like a soap opera for guys (not that girls won’t enjoy it, there are some pretty sappy romantic aspects too). The basic plot is that Jack and his agency, CTU, have one day to solve a terrorist crisis (along with some domestic issues of their own), and they race around L.A. as they try to stop one attack after another, often within the hour. Along the way, alliances are made, betrayals occur, romance blossoms, and lots of people die.

For the more academically-inclined, there’s lots of social commentaries within it too, like on the immediacy and real-time aspects of new technology, government conspiracies and bureaucracies, personal liberties vs national security, the philosophical argument of utilitarianism vs consequentialism (would you sacrifice a few people to save many more?), and the implications of the use of torture in the interrogation of terror suspects. It’s the thinking man’s action TV show, in real-time nonetheless! :slight_smile:

Of course, some people don’t like the violence (in case you weren’t aware, Jack wastes a lot of baddies and some innocents throughout his career) and the right-wing politics (because of its apparent endorsement of torture). Me, I’m not concerned much about what it is or isn’t trying to prove. To me, it’s no different from your average ‘loose-cannon’ cop show spiced up with some political intrigue (the first six seasons had two black presidents, and the latest one is a woman). I just love the real-time aspect and the car chases and the shootouts and the fact that irregardless of what happens, Jack will always save the day within 24 hours.

It’s a very exciting and provocative show, and I’m real excited for the latest season after its one-year hiatus. It’s too bad they don’t show it in Sing or Oz (though for the latter they already aired the 6th season). And I can’t catch the free episodes online outside U.S. I’ll have to look for other means to satisfy my 24 craving. :wink:

Anyway, that’s what I can think of the show right now. Sorry for the lengthy diatribe. :blush:

Tell me your opinions when you’ve composed them, Pixart! I’m interested to hear what you think of Day 7!

Last week, I totally got hooked on to the show 24. Intensity follows with each hour. I really can’t wait to see how the plan unravels.

I’ve heard about 24 and understand the premise and also the unique aspect of the show where everything is in real time. But that’s about it. I’m not really one to get hooked on TV series, especially action TV series. I don’t think it’s airing on Channel 7 at the moment, and they are terrible with regularly airing programs anyway, so it would be a fluke for me to get into the show. But I enjoyed reading the reasons why you like the show, thedriveintheatre.

I’ve heard of 24, but never watched an episode of it. It’s not a show I stumble across easily since I don’t watch Fox often.

TSS: You said it! :smiley: Count yourself lucky you can watch it. I wish Fox would let international viewers see episodes online, though I think it’s probably because it couldn’t cope with bandwidth issues or summat liddat.

rachelcakes1985: Thanks! I understand how terrible it is to keep up with TV programming in Oz. I don’t mean to diss it, at least they’re fairly up to date with new episodes compared to Singapore, which are like 1-2 seasons behind with their shows, and Malaysia, which has zilch interesting shows, but I really wish they would start airing a series and stick with it longer than three episodes in a regular timeslot. :slight_smile:

Hannahmation: Maybe you should give it a go? :wink: I’d love to hear another female perspective on it…

thedriveintheatre- I don’t know why in particular…It just seemed incredibly irritating. Even the adverts irritate me. It’s all so serious and ‘OMGZ 24 aaah’ which is just not something I want to watch. :laughing:

Jack Bauer voice “We don’t have enough time!” “Where are the bombs?” “Who do you work for?” “Hands up!” “Get down!” “I’m Federal Agent Jack Bauer!” “D^*$ It!”

Beeping digital clock BEEP! … BOOP! … BEEP! … BOOP! … BEEP!

:laughing:

I love the show! Well, I mean, I swore it off after the season 5 I believe because I got angry at them, but all is forgiven and I’m back watching Jack Bauer continue to escape death (with nary a scratch, no less) and save the world. LOVE IT!