3-D films..are they the future?

I haven’t seen a thread on this in the forum, so I thought i may as well start one up. If there is a thread, then by all means shut me down!

I was talking to my brother the other night, and we started discussing 3-D movies and their potential in cinema, as well as the future of the art form.

Admittedly i’ve only seen one 3-D movie which was The Nightmare Before Christmas, and i’ve seen that many times already. So seeing the movie in 3-D was more of a treat than an experience of a new film. So I can’t help but wonder if 3-D is a legitimate move forward in cinema now that the technology has caught up…OR is it still just a gimmick and will it continue to remain a gimmick forever?

Because some movies surely just can’t be in 3-D. Could you imagine going to see Frost/Nixon or something like that in 3-D? it’d certainly be an experience :laughing:

To those who have seen a fair few movies in their time, do you feel that when you’re watching the film that it distracts you? Or are you able to focus on the story and not get distracted by the things flying in your face.

Do you think that it really could grow to be the future of cinema as we know it? Or is it just another gimmick like it always has been. After all, 3-D movies existed in the 50s, 80s, etc. Could this not just be another phase?

I’ll hand it over to you!

Though the 3D has become much better than the old red-and-blue glasses, I doubt it’ll stay for long. There will probably just be a few 3D films a year, and they’ll eventually fade away.

I think it’s just this temporary trend…though I am not completely sure. I was wondering if they really would be the future of all movies in the theater.

The way I see it, it could potentially co-exist alongside conventional films. Only blockbusters and animated films have a reason for this added effect, so I foresee they will have a 3-D option to all the major releases in the future, if cinema chain operators upgrade their systems. I think the conversion of all films from traditional film reels to digital is more realistic and feasible, not to mention that the picture quality is waaay better (crisp resolution, and no annoying grain noise or film reel markings). I think all movies in the future will be shown in Digital Format, with a 3-D option if it’s viable (indy and talkie flicks not so much, but more for action, animated and documentaries) at a higher premium. Now if they could figure out a way to create holograms so we wouldn’t have to wear the dorky 3-D glasses (which makes me wonder, for those who wear glasses already, how do they experience 3-D films? :smiley:).

I really don’t wish that it is the future. Watching stuff in 3D really makes me dizzy, thus I am distracted from the movie.

I agree with you, The Star Swordsman, but in the future you might be able to choose whether you want to watch the movie in 3-D or regular format. Either that or we’ll have to wait for the dollar theater. :laughing:

I think it’ll be here for now and eventually fade away. I still really do like watching films in 3-D though.

Bolt was the only full-length feature film I’ve seen in 3D. Based on that experience alone, I’d wish that 3D films stay. Planning to watch everything in 3D this year whenever I have the chance! :smiley:

I simply wear the 3D glasses over my existing glasses. Fits pretty well for me. They were probably designed for that kind of (ab)use pretty early on.

I hope they’re not the future… it sounds like everyone’s selling out to this gimmick. It sucks, man. :angry:

No, and I only say that because of the cost involved. It’s just too expensive to see a 3D film in the cinema, hence why I’ve only seen two so far. The first was Beowulf, which was admittedly spectacular in 3D, and the second was Journey to the Centre of the Earth, which was rubbish. There was no real difference in the 3D effects, but because Beowulf was actually a really good film aside from the 3D (it had great characters and a good storyline) the experience still felt better than seeing Journey to the Centre of the Earth.

It’s just like when Toy Story first came out. People were saying previously that CGI animation was a fad in terms of feature-length films, but Pixar proved them wrong, and is still proving them wrong. But just because a film is in the CGI animated form doesn’t mean it’s going to be good, as Dreamworks and other companies have proven.

Basically, it depends on the quality of the film itself. Will 3D continue to be around? Yes, it probably will, but I think that it’s more likely for there to be more normal films in the cinema than 3D films, even in the future where such technology is cheaper and more common.

Hmmm…personally, I really like 3D. Granted, as was pointed out, it can’t and shouldn’t be used for some films a la Frost/Nixon but for others, it can add so much more to a movie a la Beowulf. Stereoscopic filming is definitely a revolution in filmmaking and it will continue to be developed and used. .Disney/Pixar has a whole slew of 3D movies coming out this year…most of which I’m looking forward to…as well as some others in the works (like Avatar.) I think eventually 3D and 2D movies will be able to co-exist and we can choose whether or not to see them that way.

At least 3D is improved nowadays. Not to mention some theaters won’t show it in 3D and some DVDs won’t come with 3D versions…so if you want to see it in 3D or not is still a choice.

I’d certainly hope that 3-D does not take over the movie industry, nor do i think it ever will.

I can only handle so much 3-D, i would hate if every movie i watched was 3-D especially when im just trying to relax, and defenately if i had a headache.

There are so few 3-D movies at this point that they do not stand a chance to take over, let alone put p a fight against traditional movies.

Some movies are worthy of 3 demensions, while others are best left alone. :slight_smile:

I like 3D movies, but I don’t hope they stay. The reason is that most of the movies I go to see, I use discount tickets that my Mom gets through her work, but they don’t work on 3D movies. I simply don’t want to pay to see the movie (Selfish… I know)

Hey guys…so this is a month or so old, but here’s a list of 3D movies coming up in 2009 (the site also keeps tabs of all 3D movies upcoming through 2012, which is more massive than you may think)

[url]http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2008/12/top-ten-most-anticipated-3d-movies-of.html[/url]

Most of the obvious ones are on there including Up :slight_smile: as well as G-Force. I think it’s interesting that G-Force is the first ever hybrid stereoscopic production (i.e. 2D to 3D conversion and CGI). We know how animation, motion-capture/stop-motion, and live-action look separately in 3D so this will tell us how those look together.

^ interestingg.