District 9

From the director of King Kong and creator of the short Alive in Joburg and the upcoming Halo film; District 9. :smiley: The film is based on AIJ. Here is the trailer:

apple.com/trailers/sony_pict … large.html

Looks creepy…

I saw the trailer yesterday. I’m very excited! :smiley:
Movies have been done about slums and compound enclaves (like Slumdog Millionaire, City of God and City of Joy), but not one that features extra-terrestials!
When I saw the first minute, I thought it would be a documentary, but they sure fooled me right!
I’m very interested on the commentary on illegal immigrants and foreign ‘aliens’. Mr. Jackson timed this well, it looks like it was ripped straight from the headlines!
This is an intriguing film, to say the least.
With films like Star Trek, Transformers, The Terminator, Battle for Terra and Planet 51, I think science-fiction flicks are enjoying a nice resurgence! This is gonna be so awesome.

Yeah, ALIENS. :smiling_imp:

I’ve been waiting for months waiting for this trailer. :laughing: The shot of the ship is my favourite part.

Alive in Joburg is excellent; one of my favourite short films.

Oh yeah, reminds me of Independence Day.

A new alternate trailer has just been released, this time with subtitles and the ‘face censor’ removed so we can have a closer look at our extra-terrestial friend. In the process, a lot is being revealed about why the aliens are stranded on our planet. :wink:

Alternate District 9 Trailer

Also, two new posters are making the rounds.

The first seems to be a campaign poster for an underground movement of some sort.

The second paints a pretty grim picture of the film humans’ hate for their neighbours from outer-space.

I’m very curious whether there’s a narrative for this film, if there’s gonna be a main protagonist and antagonist for the aliens and humans respectively. Or is it going to be like a current-affair-like documentary set in a fictional world?

Whatever it is, Peter Jackson and his marketing team have done their job, namely keeping curious fans (like yours truly) guessing. :slight_smile:

I think the beginning is going to be like a documentary and the cut to a narrative point of view. Or not . :laughing:

When I saw the alien’s face, the first word that popped up in my mind was “unreal”.

This movie has been confirmed to be rated R, which means I can’t see it. :frowning: Man, I really wanted to see this movie.

Peter Jackson? Hoo wee. I haven’t seen a work by him for years. Can’t wait for this one. I saw the site before and the teaser. It looks good, so far, but I might need to see more previews before I could decide any further if I want to watch it.

~ Flare

My mother says that I can’t see ANY R movie, she says I can’t go to the website or even THINK about this movie or any other movie. Just like that movie Orphan; I saw a poster, looks good, but it’s rated R.

Also, there’s a new poster for the film:

movies.yahoo.com/photos/movie-st … lls#photo0

Edited by Bill: I combined both your posts.

Only one more month to go, people!

If you haven’t seen the awesome new trailer, here it is:

Trailer 2

Love the ‘public announcement’ broadcasts.

TV Spot 1

TV Spot 2

I’m not getting exactly uber-excited (not yet, anyway), but I still think this warrants a theatrical visit just to support Blomkamp’s directing debut. Plus, it looks to be the sleeper hit of the fall. :slight_smile:

I just hope it doesn’t turn into another humans against the aliens invasion movie, and takes a more serious approach to the political aspect of illegal immigrants and racial enclaving.

The trailer is sick! I love how there making this seem real! Can’t wait!

EDIT: New commercial!

youtube.com/watch?v=nFsZgButjz0

New featurette! If you’ve read the plot synopsis on the official site, then this shouldn’t give too much away. I love the new footage, we get a glimpse of Christopher, the mysterious alien writer on the ‘MNU Spreads Lies’ blog. The visual effects actually look pretty good!

The story also seems to me like The Last of the Mohicans meets Battle for Terra, with a little of WALL-E’s evil multinational conglomerate sideplot thrown in. I may even look forward to this more than G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, heheh. Can’t wait to enter the neighbourhood! :smiley:

Featurette

Official Site

MNU Spreads Lies Blog

Damn. I’ll have to see it in September because Public Enemies is going to be released here on August 14th. :laughing:

annaborjack, I don’t quite understand your mum’s attitude to R-rated films. :confused:

Well, my dad says it looks alright. I mean, I’ve seen R movies before. But my mom claims it a scary movie. I mean, come on, the aliens aren’t that scary. It’s just bloody. I mean, I’ve seen most of 300, and look at that. It’s stupid!

I just read an Empire mag review of District 9 (it got 4 stars, BTW), and it mentioned an old movie which probably served as a precedent. It’s called Alien Nation, and it was made in the 80s. Anybody heard of this?

Here is the trailer, have a watch. The similarities are uncanny (but I don’t think District 9 intentionally copied it, not to mention that the alien in this one is not a cop).

I may try to look for this and have a watch before I go see D9 in cinemas, just for curiousity’s sake. Has anyone seen this before?

Less than one more week to go… I’m actually looking forward to this more than G.I. Joe, to be honest. This will be the one movie I have to watch this month!

You can now follow Christopher and his underground blog (if you haven’t read it, you must, cos’ there’s some brilliantly-written posts and comments in there) MNU Spreads Lies on Twitter! If you want to support the ‘dark side’, the evil conglomerate Multi-National United (its corporate site is also worth of look, has shades of BnL in it) has its own Twitter page too! Oh, and yes, both camps even have individual Facebook accounts…

I’ll be rooting for Christopher all the way. Support non-human rights! :slight_smile:

An outstanding flick indeed. Jackson’s influences can early be seen. But younger viewers beware. It was excessively gory. (Not to mention the trailer for “Legion” scared the bajebuz out of me).
Also, [spoil]OMG, the prawns were so ugly they were cute. Chris, Jr. was the cutesy baby alien ever[/spoil]. And was the animation, rotoscoping, and composit work not flawless? Three cheers for Weta and all the other animators and lighters and viz FX crew!
8/10!
~Haunt~

Plot Synopsis:

”Aliens become refugees in South Africa where they are kept isolated from any human contact. While being contained in the refuge being ignored of their welfare, their weapons become the sole interest of Multi-National United (MNU). But only one man, Wikus van der Merwe (Sharlto Copley), can activate these weapons. He becomes hunted for and only one place can give him refuge, District 9.”

I wasn’t expecting a whole lot out of District 9, to be honest. The trailers looked alright, and the premise sounded fascinating, to put it simply. Besides, I’ve always been interested in what director Neill Blomkamp has been up to, ever since I initially heard about his now long abandoned Halo adaptation. Having just seen the film, though, District 9 is not only perhaps my favorite movie of the year so far (challenged only by Coraline and Up), but one of the greatest films I’ve ever seen.

Arguably the most surprising thing about this film is its budget; the movie cost approximately $30 million to make, yet looks as though it cost $100 million. The folks at Weta Workshop, as expected, did a truly exceptional job with the animation. All of the aliens (or Prawns) are given so much expressiveness, and in very subtle ways, too. In fact, I often forgot that I was watching a computer-animated character, which I think is the highest compliment that you can give to an animator.

The highlight of this movie, though, is Sharlto Copley’s portrayal of our main protagonist, Wikus. Throughout the first 30-45 minutes of the film, he’s viewed as a relatively unlikable character, yet becomes increasingly sympathetic as the film continues. It’s done so in an extremely compelling, extremely real, way, which is refreshing to see in a film. It’s this character and his relationship with the aliens that give these already incredible action sequences (that look as though they were inspired by sections of Halo and Half-Life) some genuine weight. I found myself tearing up a couple of times, actually, fearing for the safety of one of the characters, and rarely does a film manage to get that kind of response out of me.

District 9 is an original, thought-provoking masterpiece that shows how a system can force its citizens to be unwanted, without becoming preachy on the subject. I’ll have to see it again, but I think that this film may actually dethrone Coraline (which is virtually tied with Up) as my favorite movie of the year so far, which is also to say that it’s one my top ten favorite movies of all time.

10/10