Your Favorite Space Odyssey

And your favorite space adventure is…

• Star Wars
  • Star Trek
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • Stargate

0 voters

After seeing Star Trek the other day it reminded me that I never did start a space adventure poll like I wanted to do last summer. But my curiosity was peaked again when this most glorious new film was released.

Here in the States, the franchises with the biggest followings are undoubtedly Star Wars and Star Trek. I wanted to be fair and at least get some more choices in there and that’s where Battlestar Galactica came in. I haven’t the foggiest if people still watch Stargate but I remember it was huge in the 90’s, so I tossed it in anyways.

Now I’m not sure whether I’ve mentioned it or not, but I’m a ravenous, foaming fangirl of Star Wars. Believe me when I say I have “Jedi’d” my favorite pixar characters many a times. Even my own characters aren’t exempt from it. (Rodents with force powers; it’s a beautiful thing). I grew up on Star Wars, and it’s influences in my ‘space opera’ storylines are very evident. The fact that Lucas looked to Tolkien makes me love the mythology of SW even more.

I have a long history with Star Trek too. I grew up on TNG and DP9, but my favorite will always be Voyager. It was also my favorite opening score.

The other two shows I have never watched, and probably never will. I’m sure they’re respectable, but I’d rather not get my influences all cluttered up.

Well, that was my two cents. How about you guys?

(By the way, Dash + light saber = amazing)

Where’s Babylon 5?
And Firefly?

(God I’m a geek).

And Blake’s 7?
And Dr Who?

(God, I’m an OLD geek).

Aww, I thought this was a topic about the Authur C Clake 2001: A Space Odyssey…

Never mind, I’ma big sci-fi geek but I’ve never really massively enjoyed anything on your poll; Star Trek I haven’t seen in a long time, Star Wars was ruined by the three prequels, the only Stargate I’ve seen is the Atlantis spin-off which was less than brilliant and I’ve never gotten into BSG.

My favourite sci-fi series, and one of my favourite shows, is Firefly and Futurama gets an honorable mention as ‘best TV show ever.’

To be honest I probably read more sci-fi than I watch, dark space operas by Alastair Reynolds are my favourites…

I was waiting for a topic like this to pop up! I went with Star Wars, because that’s what I liked first and am most familiar with. Stargate and Battlestar I’ve never seen. Star Trek I know a little about, but just very basic stuff.

I did see the Star Trek movie though and for awhile I was wondering if I should. I had a bit of a nerd conflict since I like Star Wars so much, I was thinking maybe if I saw this movie, I’d be abandoning my Star Wars loyalties. But I asked a few people and they all said it was okay to like both so I went to see it. And I loved it!!! So now I’m totally obsessing over it, and over Mr. Spock in particular. I just loved him in the movie, so now I’m seeking out watching the original series (I’ve so far watched one episode), to see more of Spock in action. And I’m also watching what I can of Star Trek Next Generation (which again, I’ve seen one episode) because Capt Jean-Luc Picard just seems really cool to me.

My favourite Space Odyssey is 2001: A Space Odyssey

Star Wars all the way! Star Wars is my absolute, all-time favortie franchise ever, those are the movies that inspired me to pursue a career in filmaking.

I’l admit, I have no expeirence with the other franchises’, and that’s because I’m actually not a sci-fi fan. Star Wars has a lot of mytchical elements and fantasy elements, anad that’s why I enjoy it so much. It feels classic, and appelas to more people, while the other sci-fi franchises have pretty much staye in their niche market.

Star Wars. No contest. My whole family has lived, breathed, and eaten Star Wars, with the exception of my mom, unfortunately. (She doesn’t understand the power of the geekiness…)

My sister and I are actually developing something Star Wars related that will… probably be pretty popular if we do it right…

As far as the other franchises are concerned, I never bothered with Battlestar Galactica or Stargate. Star Trek, on the other hand… Oh gosh, I never missed a night of the original series. Whenever it was on T.V., I would watch it with my mom… almost every evening… for years. The same goes for “The Next Generation”. “Voyager” was one that I tried to like, but just couldn’t, and don’t even get me started on “Deep Space 9”. Freakin’ soap opera (no offense). So, yeah, I’m more of an old school Trekkie (or… half a Trekkie actually, if that’s even legitimate).

Nice to meet fellow Star Wars fans, especially you, Haunt! I didn’t know you were a geek. May the Force be with you… always…

– Mitch

Post intermission 2001 followed closely by WALL-E then Serenity/Firefly then Star Wars

Star Wars, Star Trek, 2001, Alien, Fururama.

I have to watch Firefly.

STAR TEK FOREVER!!! LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!!!

You can watch it for free on Hulu.com

hulu.com/firefly