Comic Books

Hi there. I couldn’t find a thread about the comic book medium so decided to start one here for all us readers out there.
I thought this could be the place where we could discuss our favourite comics, heroes, villains, etc, all upcoming comics being released that you’re excited for or any comic-related things such as films or TV shows.

To get the ball rolling, I’ll start by saying that my favourite ‘hero’, if you will, is the Punisher. I feel that the MAX imprint of The Punisher is really great and I’ve been collecting them for a year or two now.
I’m now looking forward to Iron Man 2 and films next year and Thor and Captain America in 2011.

EDIT- Please refrain from using improper language on these forums, thanks!

-lizardgirl

I love comic books to pieces, which isn’t too surprising considering that I never shut up about them :laughing:

But yeah, I love the things. The comic that got me into them originally was a Mighty Thor comic from 1999 I think. So naturally he’s one of my favourite characters, along with Daredevil (Ignore the movie, please), Batman…well, basically everyone you would imagine someone to like!

I don’t have too much to add at the moment, but i’m glad a thread like this exists.

Dude, censor yourself here. We got kids on these forums. Not to step in for the mods but Im just helpin you out. Click edit post and remove that word so you dont get yourself into any trouble.

All in Good motive here

I’m so sorry :blush: , I’ve never thought of that word as that bad especially seeing as that what the film is called. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Anyway, I’m looking forward to the Kick-Bottom film next year :wink:

Well, on the subject of comics, I only collect Incredibles comics from Boom Studios.

I LOVE comics, but I’m not talking about Superman or Spiderman or that sort of thing. I prefer adult comics (no, not that kind of adult :laughing:), stuff by Daniel Clowes for example- Ghost World, Like A Velvet Glove Cast In Iron, that sort of thing. Clowes is my god (as Enid would say. :laughing:)

I have the Monsters, Inc. BOOM! comics as well, just for the fun of picking out all of the plot holes.

Nice to see someone interested in comics as much as I am. I’ve started getting into Thor with the Essential books which I like and I tried getting more recent runs but I can’t stand the Ultimate version of Thor.
Daredevil’s cool too, I got the stuff that Frank Miller did with the character and thought that was great.

I would recommend (for Thor) definitely the stuff by Dan Jurgens and the latest stuff by J. Michael Straczynski, you’ll be hard pressed to find a bad story in there to be honest.

Also, I really do love Frank Miller’s Daredevil. The Man Without Fear is one of my favourite comic books ever…period. Other note worthy writers of Daredevil would be Brian Michael Bendis and Ed Brubaker…who were both superb on their runs. I also really like Daredevil: Yellow by Jeph Loeb. Well, i’m a sucker for anything Loeb and Sale (Tim sale) do full stop.

Oh dear, i’ve started rambling! The only other thing I will say is that I really, really, really like Grant Morrison’s work as well.

I really adore a bunch of non-superhero stuff as well, just to be fair to everything. Ghost World is great, Maus is an amazing piece of work, Bone is probably one of my favourite comics of all time, the list could go on and on. I read a lot of the stuff to be honest, so yeah i’m quite a big fan :laughing:

I’m curious yet concerned to see what they do with the avengers, Thor, and Captain America. I would love for them all to be absolutely brilliant…but i’m not holding my breath.

I would also like to point out that the majority of readers who collect the superhero stuff tend to be adults and as such the stories have matured immensely. So in that sense I would say they’re just as adult as anything by Daniel Clowes, Harvey Pekar, Robert Crum, Art Spiegelman or any of the other indie icons of the comic world.

I’m just saying… :laughing:

I’ve been reading about Thor come together for a while now and I am pleased with almost every piece of news that comes out. I have no doubt in my mind that Brannagh will deliver a great film that will make Thor a more common super-hero like Favreau did with Iron Man.
I am, however, concerned with Captain America. I’ve heard little to nothing about it and seeing as Thor will start filming next month and only two months between their releases, we should at least know who will be playing Cap by now (Kevin Feige even said that we should start hearing casting by October). Johnston’s another concern of mine (with films like Jurassic Park 3 and The Pagemaster directed by him), I just don’t think he could do a good job with this hero.

That’s quite true, he has made some stinkers in the past. But with that said, he made a genuinely underrated WW2 adventure movie with the rocketeer. Also, we’ll have to see how the wolfman turns out as well. He’s a director who is really hit and miss it seems.

But I completely understand the concern about Captain America. It needs to get the balance completely right, also I don’t think it should be afraid to be a patriotic film either. I would like to see something along the lines of Raiders Of The Lost Ark in its style, just a genuinely fun adventure flick with a fair amount of danger, commentary on WW2, etc and I think it could be great.

I’ve never been that into comic books, but I have nothing against them. The only comic books I have are The Beatles Experience Issues 1-8, from the early 90s, from Rock & Roll Comics, and some Star Trek ones, from the 80s, early 90s, and one from this year. The older Trek comics I have are all from DC. I am also partly familiar with Batman, but only because I’ve seen a lot of animated Batman, not because I’ve read the comics.

I love comics and graphic novels! :smiley:

Especially Bone. Gosh, that comic is so… awesome.

Oh my gosh, I’ve just recently picked up Bone too! It’s Bone-tastic! I started with ‘Stupid, Stupid Rat Tails’ (because the title and cover caught my eye) and have just finished the first volume, ‘Out From Boneville’. I can’t wait to read ‘The Great Cow Race’ next!

I remember they ran this as a serial in the newspaper back when I was a kid about ten years ago, but I was too young to follow the plot. I liked the visuals, but I didn’t understand a word (and was scared to death by the Rat Creatures!). But now that I’m much older, I actually realised they’re not that scary (well, at least, the nameless duo who keep messing up at catching Fone Bone).

Phoney Bone is such a meanie, he keeps cooking up hair-brained schemes that get his cousins in trouble, and I love Smiley Bone with his ‘laissez-faire’ attitude to life. Thorn is so pretty, and Grandma Rose is hilarious when she lets her fists do the talking! All the characters are very likeable, the only qualm I have is that the ‘adventure’ is too short, and it would’ve been nicer if the ‘volume’ was longer… but that means it’s a good thing, right?

Argh, I just went on a another fan-gush. I’m dying to find out who [spoil]the Grim Reaper[/spoil] guy is and what’s the relationship between [spoil]Grandma Rose and The Great Dragon[/spoil]…

TDIT I wish I could be in your shoes, honestly! I only finished reading Bone a few months ago and it makes me just want to go back and read it all over again whenever I hear someone talking about the story. You will love it to pieces by the end (Which I’m sure you do already) but you’re in for some great, great stuff.

I consider Bone to be a modern classic…or just a classic altogether.

I am a comic book reader but I mainly stick to manga although I do enjoy reading Archie’s Sonic comics as well.

I also have the MI comics from Boom as well lizardgirl, I mainly bought them due to Randall and collection purposes but it seems that the story isn’t the best, that’s a drag.

Cool, I dabble in a bit of manga now and again. Stuff like ‘Oh My Goddess!’, ‘Love Hina’ and ‘Death Note’.
Which manga books do you read?

Oh cool, another manga reader. Some of the manga I enjoy is like “Godchild” and “Full Metal Alchemist” to name a few. Right now I’m trying to read through “Naruto” due to the fact that I am so far behind on the episodes. I also have Deathnote but I only have the first volume, I haven’t bought the others yet.

I don’t know if anyone will be interested in this but Grant Morrison has a new series coming out in January that could be something quite special, and there’s an interview where he talks about his new piece of work. It’s quite interesting, and this seems like a good place to share it.

comicbookresources.com/?page … e&id=24152

The interview is in the link above.

Thedriveintheatre: Oh, believe me, you will love it when you get farther! :stuck_out_tongue: It ends up very unexpected sometimes. Ugh… I love Bone so much…

About Phoney… yeah, he may seem like quite a jerk sometimes, but actually, (spoilers that appear in book… I dunno, 7, I think)he’s the one who had to take care of Fone and Smiley when they were little because they were orphans.
I guess you have to see it from his point of view. He’s one of my favourite characters for that. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m so into manga that American comics tend to confuse me. xD (“Issue #0? They do those?” “Trade paperbacks? Those are like tankobon, right?” “Oh, there’s a particular day new comics come in?” “Oh, this set’s part of another continuity? Where does this start then?”) but I’ve been going monthly to the comic store lately for the BOOM WALL-E ones.

I know I keep spazzing about this and I hate to be a broken record, but they really are beautiful comics guys. Just… wow.

EDIT: looks up Waitwaitwait! We’re talking about BONE now?! Okay, that one I know! I got the omnibus from the library and tore through the entire thing in about half a week I loved it so much! :smiley: