Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

I’m surprised that there isn’t a thread about this film yet. It looks funny, interesting, and very refreshing in style and tone; after Toy Story 3, it’s the movie I’m most excited about this year… I’ve read the first two volumes of the books, and I enjoyed it. I’ll probably check out more of them before the movie comes out.

Here’s the trailer, if you haven’t seen it:
youtube.com/watch?v=xgOLmjhxVVU

I want to see it. I like Micheal Cera when he’s in a good film, and the director who’s directing Scott directed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, so you can expect it to be decent.

My cuz loooove the original graphic novels.

I’m kinda ambivalent… I should be really liking this more… since parodies and spoofs are my kinda guilty pleasure. But it looks like a really cheesy Street Fighter knockoff that tries too hard to be self-aware and all wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

I saw several copies of the comic book series in my local Kinokuniya. Should have a look… can anyone vouch for its awesomeness?

I did like Michael Cera in Superbad, but I’m afraid I haven’t seen him anywhere else. I also haven’t seen Hot Fuzz or Shaun of the Dead in their entirety (saw the beginning of the former, ending of the latter), but I did enjoy the director’s style, so maybe I would dig this too.

We’ll see. Need more trailers!!!

Lol, no. IIRC, a lot of the gaming humor in the original comic is taken from older stuff like River City Ransom, and probably some more mainstream stuff too.

And Micheal Cera got his start as George Micheal Bluth in Arrested Development.
Now, go and Hulu/Netflx the series right now. >8[

I’ve heard a lot about that show. I watched the Larry David spin-off ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’, but I’m not much a fan of ‘cringe-humour’. But I’ll give AD and Scott Pilgrim a shot!

I never viewed AD as cringed worthy (I’ve really only seen one ep of Curb, and it really doesn’t feel that similar to AD). There’s a lot of subtle and obvious jokes though; you’ll miss a lot of them on your first viewing.

Bump because it comes out tomorrow. I got to reading all 6 of the books recently, and I loved them. Even more pumped for the movie now.

Definently excitied for this. I love Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, and I just read volume 1 of the comics and loved it. Hopefully I’ll get to the theater tomorrow!

Just got back from the movie, it was really good. It captured the mood of the books perfectly, and just about everything they added or changed was either hilarious or for the better. I had a really good time watching it. My friend, however, was complaining the entire time from the opening credits to the very end about how terrible it was. He said it was the worst movie he’d ever seen. I feel like this movie was made for a pretty specific demographic, so it might not make sense or be interesting for a lot of people (like him). Like I said, I still enjoyed it nonetheless.

Is this a spoof type of thing? I don’t get on the commercials how they have the CGI hearts and stuff.

I wouldn’t call it a spoof exactly. It’s heavily influenced by comics and video games, so there are a lot of pixellated effects, onscreen onomatopoeia, side captions, etc. (which is one of the funniest parts)

Oh, okay. :smiley:

I just came back from the theater and I thought it was great. I can see how it might not appeal to those outside the supposed demographic, but regardless I still think it was overall a great film. One of the best of the year.

Sorry for the double post! I know you’re supposed to edit, but I wasn’t sure whether this was a forum that qualifies edits as activity in topics.

I am incredibly disappointed that this movie is barely making any money. It’s one of the most inventive, hilarious, and amesome movies of the year. Really, go see it!

My friend and I are planning on seeing it this weekend.
I’m super excited for the movie! (and because me and my friend haven’t done anything alone in a long time.)

I haven’t read the comic books, but I really want to!

I definitely have to go see this movie after reading your reviews Bryko614 and FlyingGiraffe. I bet I will be in the target demographic :wink:

How have I not seen this thread yet?

I actually saw it twice, once with friends and once with my step brother. I have to say, this is probably one of the most awesome movies to come out in a long time. It’s really creative and it’s actually made me want to go out and buy all the comic books so I could read them all.

The only thing I didn’t like in the movie was [spoil]in the beginning with the credits and they’re playing their song. I mean, it just seemed to take forever. Then the scene where the first evil ex starts singing and stuff. My friend told me he actually does that in the comic books, so I guess it’s not so bad, but still, I would have liked it more if they just skipped that[/spoil]

mo: I didn’t really mind the intro considering I was so excited. I guess it’s a little long, though, but not really a big deal if you ask me. Patel’s song was better in the movie than in the comic too. In the comic Scott has a verse in the song which is a little ridiculous considering the whole song was unexpected. I’m fine with it in the movie.

If you haven’t read the comics, you have to check them out. They’re even better than the movie, IMO. They clear up some things and give a lot more insight into the characters.

Honestly, the intro was when I realized the movie was going to be awesome, even though the opening credits did take a while.

And I’ve bought/read the first three volumes, and I plan on buying the rest. The fights are a lot better in the movie, but the comics have more depth, though that’s not saying the movie didn’t have it’s fair share of that either.

I kind of want to see this, but honestly it was THIS which made me want to:

youtube.com/watch?v=lEklqif9XXo

Avatar: TLA fans should like this! :smiley:

Curiously, the voice actress of Katara plays one of the evil exes!