Pixar Planet

Most overrated films of all time

Here is the place to talk, rave, and discuss the latest non-Pixar films, television shows, music & books.

Moderator: Pixar Planet Moderators

Re: Most overrated films of all time

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:13 pm

Nausicaa wrote:Well, when I called it overrated I meant more by people on the internet.

I've seen a lot of people say it deserved the Best Animated Feature oscar, but personally I felt that there were much better films nominated for it.

*The film didn't come out where I live until about three months after it had come out in the States, and in the meantime I saw a LOT of people gushing about it on their blogs and so on. Aside from a couple of people saying 'I wish there had been more world hopping/ less Sarah Silverman' it was mostly very positive. Maybe I should've avoided people's opinions a bit more...

Yes, there is a huge following on the internet, but as I explained before I felt like it was deserved.

What films that were nominated did you like better?

And one of the worst things someone can do when trying to convince someone to see a movie is to over hype it. Movies are an expectations game- low or high expectations we have walking into the theater will be a major influence on our feelings of it when we leave. So I do understand where you are coming from.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:59 pm

I doubt it's over rated. But I agree that people getting you all excited can lead to disappointment. This actually happens to me with live action movies. 8D
No more let life divide what death can join together.
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby Nausicaa » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:58 pm

ellie-jessie-eve wrote:What films that were nominated did you like better?

I haven't seen Frankenweenie yet, but I liked Brave, Paranorman and Pirates more than Wreck-it Ralph. Even though I think Pirates might be my favourite of the three, it wasn't as emotional as the other movies so I kind of expected it not to get the Oscar. Actually in fairness to Wreck-it Ralph, I thought its emotional scenes were handled pretty well. I just think that the other films were better overall. Paranorman was really good.

Also, of the recent Dinsey films, I liked Tangled and The Princess and the Frog more than Wreck-it Ralph (I haven't seen Winnie the Pooh). Although I appreciate that it was an original story rather than a fairy tale.

I would be interested in seeing a Wreck-it Ralph sequel, if they do make one, just to see where they take the concept to next.
Nausicaa
Garbage Boy

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:35 am

^I really enjoyed Pirates. I thought it was hilarious, and just interesting to look at, athestic wise. Brave I liked but, as I've made clear before, not my favorite. It was beautiful, but WIR made up for it's lack of imagination. And I didn't like ParaNorman much. I still need to see Frankenweenie.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby annarborjack » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:37 am

I know this is a video game not a movie, but I find Bioshock Infinite really overrated.
annarborjack
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Geoff-uk1234 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:15 pm

annarborjack wrote:I know this is a video game not a movie, but I find Bioshock Infinite really overrated.

I've heard good things about it. I can't really think of a game I found overrated.
"Animation is not a genre, it's an art form." - Brad Bird

https://letterboxd.com/Gst95/
Geoff-uk1234
Master Scarer

Postby annarborjack » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:58 pm

Blade Runner, one of the most boring movies of all time, and yet it gets praised as some Sci-Fi epic and yet barley anything happens. This is what happens:

Spoiler: show
1. Harrison Ford gives a robot a test
2. Robot goes into the home of a toymaker
3. Harrison Ford kills two robots
4. Other robot meets up with girl robot and kills his creator
5. Harrison Ford kills girl robot
6. Harrison Ford kills guy robot
7. Movie Ends

That's it. I really don't know why it gets so praised.
annarborjack
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Nausicaa » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:25 am

Out of curiosity, which version of Blade Runner did you watch? I hear that there's several different versions, and that some are better than others. I haven't seen it myself.

I'd like to add Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock) to this list. It's even been named the best film ever by the BFI, but I honestly don't think it's very good. Although the film did pioneer some new filming techniques, on the whole it's a rather dull movie, with several obvious plot holes. The acting is good in it though.
Nausicaa
Garbage Boy

Postby Spirit of Adventure » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:04 am

I can almost bear the Blade Runner mention, but naming Vertigo here is giving me a heart attack.

I gotta go. If I don't come back, you'll know what happened to me... 8D
Spirit of Adventure
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:11 am

:`-( I love Blade Runner!
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby Spirit of Adventure » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:14 pm

Yes, Blade Runner is an impressive film. It's just not such a referent to me that I can survive it's mention... kind of 8D
Spirit of Adventure
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:57 am

Have you seen the Director's Cut? It's amazing! I need to rewatch Vertigo. That said anything Hitchcock is the bomb.
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby Badger » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:04 am

I only really know Blade Runner because of Vangelis' contribution to the soundtrack, haha! Seriously, I'm a big fan of Vangelis. Great composer.

I don't really watch a lot of live-action movies at all... but when it's about overratedness, I know it's not a movie, but (don't kill me!) My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. It's a cute show, and I used to like it a lot (still do a bit, but I still like the first gen of MLP better), but some people think it's like the second coming of sliced bread or something. Eh.
Badger
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:52 pm

The Matrix.
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby pixarmilan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:21 am

I agree^. The fight scenes are good, but overall isn't a particularly good film. Keanu Reeves is beyond hopeless as an actor.
pixarmilan
Piston Cup Champion

PreviousNext

Return to Film, Television, Music & Books