How To Train Your Dragon vs Toy Story 3

HTTYD vs TS3

• TS3
  • HTTYD

0 voters

The two most highly acclaimed animated films of the year… are now in competition with each other!

Here is my opinion:

How To Train Your Dragon: 2 1/2 Stars- Is mildly amusing and has very good special effects, but doesn’t have any character or story depth, and lacks heart. Better than some of DWA’s past films, but is not close to Pixar level.

Toy Story 3: 4 Stars- Is extremely entertaining and touching, funny, and is the best film of the year by far.

Although I liked Chris Sanders’ work cause of Lilo & Stitch, I have to say that nothing beats Toy Story 3. I haven’t seen his newest film anyway.

I agree about Dragons, but I don’t see Toy Story 3 until the 29th

I’d say HTTYD is definitely on Pixar’s level, but it lacked the emotional bond everyone who grew up with Toy Story has with TS3. So, just for that reason, I’m going with the latter.

It’s a terrible thing to compare because Toy Story has 15 years on HTTYD…

I haven’t seen Toy Story 3 yet, so I’m not going to judge, but I doubt How To Train Your Dragon will beat it in my opinion, not that the latter wasn’t good or anything.

gazelle, though Toy Story 3 is obviously part of a trilogy and we have got to know the characters over time, it doesn’t mean that we can’t try to view the film objectively. Personally, I tend to prefer original films over sequels, even when it’s a sequel to one of my favourite Pixar films, so really there is a level playing field in that case. Of course we all have attachments to the characters we know and love, but at the same time it sounds like How To Train Your Dragon has captured the hearts of many viewers anyway.

I’m one of those viewers. I love How To Train Your Dragon, and can say that it is easily my favorite DreamWorks film since 2000 but I can’t even began to not be bias when it comes to the third film of a trilogy I’ve known all my life verses the very beginnings of a large franchise in the making. So I have to say Toy Story, but it’s not a fair question when the past does influence what I like about Toy Story 3. Then again if I had to pretend that Toy Story 3 was the only thing of Toy Story in existence to attempt to make things even I’d probably say Toy Story was better anyway, but can’t say for sure.

Toy Story 3 All the Way! Great story line and hilarious! Also, cute new characters :wink: My theatre was jam-packed and the showtimes were selling out! :open_mouth:

Yeah, I see what you mean gazelle. I can see how it is difficult to seperate your emotions and fondness for a series of films that have been with you all your life.

I’m really sorry to say this, but to all you people who have watched only either one (that means, you only watched TS3, or vice-versa), your opinion means zilch. Naaa…daaa… :stuck_out_tongue:

I just don’t buy the “Pixar>Dreamworks, ∴ TS3>HTTYD” hypothesis. Once you’ve seen both films, come back to me. :unamused:

Those of course, who have seen both, I’ll take your comments into consideration before seeing TS3.*

*Yes, I have not watched TS3 yet. So yes, my opinion at the moment on which is better means squat too. I really hope TS3 blows me away, though! :slight_smile:

Baby vs Grown Up. Pretty unfair if you ask. The ending wouldn’t have been so touching if it weren’t for Toy Story 1 & 2. But it could have been flop if Pixar don’t handle it so carefully. And I disagree, I felt HTTYD had tremendous heart.

I found HTTYD more entertaining (and the scores are amazing!!!) while Toy Story 3 had more heart (though HTTYD isn’t far behind). Like people said on imdb, apple and orange :confused:

(How I hope Toy story 3 wins Best Animated feature though. One of the best
trilogy of all time and Dreamworks still isn’t humble enough to receive another award)

I agree. TS is an established franchise and there may be more to look back on, while Dragons is a newcomer.

As for your feelings, I have a gut feel that it’s gonna be my conclusion as well (HTTYD is more entertaining, but TS3 is more heartwarming). We’ll see how it goes come Tuesday for me. :slight_smile:

Ditto that. Both of the movies are good. But it’s not fair at all with HTTYD which trying to be as good as Pixar. In this case, I won’t be bias at all, I’ll choose nothing. Both are good.

Lol, I think like any other animation, it’s just trying to be a good movie. But then again Pixar is the definition of an animation masterpiece…

It’s like forcing Ludwig van Beethoven to be exactly as Johannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart.

True. But I could say the same of Ghibli or Aardman… :stuck_out_tongue: And really, HTTYD isn’t trying. It is. Of course, in this author’s most humble and pitiful opinion. xD

I’m surprised there are actually people who voted for Dragons… not because it doesn’t deserve the merit, but because I thought the obvious Pixar bias here wouldn’t leave it a fighting chance. :slight_smile: And I wonder how many of those who watched TS3 actually watched HTTYD… (I haven’t voted yet, because I’ve only seen the latter)

I don’t believe Sanders purposely set out to beat Pixar or to have his work compared to any other company. I can’t speak for him haha, but I would like to think such a thing wasn’t a personal goal and all that he sought out to do was tell a great story and entertain audiences. In fact that’s probably part of what makes me love HTTYD, for once it was something non Pixar that didn’t seem ‘trying’ at all.

I think that’s Pixar’s (and other great animation studios like Ghibli and Aardman) greatest strength: They make great filmmaking seem effortless. Not manufactured-dramas (like Madagascar 2), with a ‘moral-at-the-end-which-a-character-explains’ (Shrek The Third).

Just good ol’ honest storytelling, with a message that is revealed through a character’s choices than have it explained at the end. Any other way, and the audience will see right through you.

I saw both! I liked HTTYD. It was exceptional for a Dreamworks film, my favorite dreamworks film since Prince of Egypt. I LIKED the animation, music, voice acting, and story. Walking out of the theater, I was worried! What if TS3 isn’t as good? It’s a sequal after all!

And then I saw Toy Story 3. I LOVEDthe animation, music, voice acting, and story. I loved it of course, and better than I thought it would be! I know there are tons of other animated films coming out this year that will be eligible for the Oscar nomination, but I think that HTTYD or TS3 will get it. I hope it’s TS3.

Why am I even thinking about this? It’s MONTHS away until Oscar season! And we still have a bunch more animated films to look forward to!

Bottom line: I’m a fan of both. I just liked TS3 way more!

Both movies are phenomenal, but I have to go with TS3, since I grew up watching (and loving) Toy Story 1 and 2. :smiley: