Webcomics

Yeah no clue where else to put this, but considering webcomics are often released in self-published book format themselves, I think this might count, but still be different enough to require its own thread.

So what webcomics are you reading right now when you should be working?

As of right now, I really like Gunnerkrigg court. While the first couple of chapters or two I found were relatively dull in my opinion (plus Antimony did throw me at first), they are still necessary and everventually a whole new world is built upon and explored between the technologicaland scientific Court and the nature of the magical forest- plus shows that just because someone has difficulty showing emotions sometimes doesn’t mean they don’t have them!

A story set in England, but borrows from various mythologies across the world.

Murky pasts, deceptions, and an environment where the idea of good and evil or ‘us versus them’ is not as clear or simple as it might first appear.

gunnerkrigg.com/index2.php

At the moment I am liking Hanna is Not a Boy’s Name quite a bit. Each page is really a work of art. Another one that comes to mind (on the silly, lighthearted spectrum) is Brawl in the Family. I’ve been following those guys since summer '08 when they first started out. Awkward Zombie (aka, Katie Tiedrich’s comics) used to be some of my favorites when it came to video game humor, but they’ve lost some of their touch.

Brawl in the Family FTW! :smiley:

I also love Cyanide and Happiness, and have started reading xkcd as well. Personally, I like C&H better, just because it doesn’t have comics you’d have to be pretty smart to understand, and C&H contains a wide variety of humor (as it’s written by 4 guys).

I love Chicken Wings, which contains the best aviation humor since David Gunson’s comedy act What goes up might come down!.

I used to read PvP, it’s a pretty funny comic for video-game geeks. And I love that panda.

Oh, and Lackadaisy. Think a Mafia gangster epic, but with cats! :wink:

snafu-comics.com has really cool comics, some based on TV shows likw Invader Zim, Grim Adventures, and PPG. PPGD is my favosrite cause Dexter is a main character along with Courage, Gir, and many other cartoon characters. I also like Brawl in the Familt and Garfield minus Garfield, which is actally kinda creeapy.

snafu-comics.com/ppg/?comic_id=0

Let’s see…I like Brawl in the Family and Lackadaisy as already mentioned. I also like Dunk and Garfield Minus Garfield, if that counts. I’m not that big on web comics in general though.

I haven’t been reading any webcomics lately, but I used to like anything Mitch Clem did, Perry Bible Fellowship, Garfield Minus Garfield (brilliant!), Rob & Elliot, Multiplex, Joe Loves Crappy Movies, um… I remember reading through the entirety of Questionable Content in one sitting. FYI, some of the ones I mentioned have guest strips for the current comic, so you might wanna click previous one or two times. Some of the comics mentioned here look pretty sweet! I can’t believe I’ve been neglecting this medium. Shame on me.

Multiplex speaks to me because I actually used to work in one for a bit, and some of what happens in the comic is eerily similar to some of my experiences. I also like it for the rather shallow reason that one of the lead characters shares my exact birthdate and seem to share the same opinions on more than a few topics.

I’ve been reading a comic called Homestuck lately. It’s interesting because even though the art isn’t top-shelf everything about it seems to be experimental. From the fly-by-the-seat writing to the interactivity to the music/animation, it’s actually something to behold. One of the few immensely popular things my hipster goggles didn’t black out.

To be honest, I avoid a lot of webcomics simply because I’m trying to write one and I don’t want to lift ideas from various sources. Which is really kind of counterintuitive because the whole thing I’m writing revolves around the concept of what happens when someone takes in too much pop culture. But I digress.

Others I read are upstarts from people I’ve friended on the Internet, such as Guardians: Land Of Legends on smackjeeves. or Everblue.

Sorry to bump a bit of a dead thread. D:

I too just started reading Homestuck (even though it’s been around for a few years. I’m always late to the party :c) and I enjoy it a lot. I’ve never been interested in it previously, since the fan base was really turning me off and they all came off as super annoying. That, and no matter how many people I asked, no one would tell me exactly what Homestuck was!

I finally found a post on Tumblr where someone I followed explained in better detail what Homestuck was all about, and it interested me, so I followed the link she provided (mspaintadventures.com) and started reading. It was a really slow start and I almost gave up on it, but if you can push through the first Act or so, it gets a lot better. It basically follows four 13 year-olds, John Egbert, Rose Lalonde, Dave Strider, and Jade Harley. There’s also trolls from another planet that become involved, and are similar to the kids, but that’s a bit later on. The kids are trying out this game called Sburb, which is an immersive reality game that ends up altering and changing the fate of their universe. (Trying not to get spoilery.)

The whole series is quite confusing. There’s a lot of time travel involved (or seeing into the future), the foreshadowing is often vague, and sometimes it seems like segments get thrown in there that make no sense at all. There seems to be several alternate worlds but similar characters within those worlds, and they exist on various planes of reality within their own universes. I find most of the characters to be very entertaining and enjoyable, while there are some that I am annoyed by. xD

This is the first webcomic I’ve actually taken the time to read, and I really like the style it’s done in. :slight_smile: I was actually surprised at how much gore is in it. Granted it’s a cartoon, but there were a few segments of the story where I was like, “Whoa, okay, that was kind of gross.” xD

Anyone else here read it? I already know Leirin does. :wink:

little chef

I tired to get into it (I mean you can’t really escape it as a reference in some places). I couldn’t really get into it myself though I may give it a shot again.

Another interesting webcomic is Shortpacked, which I’m sure everyone else here has heard about:

shortpacked.com/

Also David Willis has another webcomic, Dumbing of Age:

dumbingofage.com/

I also however read this Ninja Turtles fancomic: MNT Gaiden by Tigerfog. It’s pretty dark and gory as well (so be warned) as uses a manga style but I still like it:

mntgaiden.com/en/

(Apparently the original creators know about it! From what I remember anyway, one of them though it was good.)

I don’t really read webcomics, well, Brawl in the Family sometimes, but the only one I read frequently and every day it’s updated is The Fourth.

It’s basically a parody on an adventure video game, but told through the villain’s perspective, in this case a powerful dude with a shark-face that goes by the name of Lord Tiberius Skaerva the Fourth. He’s awesome, believe me. Oh, and his, erm, cronies are Derk, a muscular dude that likes bacon, and Lorelei, a little girl with healing powers. They’re pretty awesome too.

I found out about it because it was drawn by a very good friend of mine from DeviantART whose art style I really like, so yeah. It’s got quite some humour, witty writing, cool artwork, and also some bittersweet, emotional moments as well, and that’s one of the mayor reasons why I love it! :stuck_out_tongue:

You guys should check it out; thefourthcomic.com/?p=11

And if you like it you should comment. Because everyone loves comments.

mentalguru: Homestuck really isn’t for everyone, but I can promise that after you get past Act 2 or so, things really start getting interesting. Most of what you read honestly doesn’t make sense the first time around, so I definitely suggest a second read-through because things will start coming together better. I’m halfway through reading it a second time (while we wait for an update that’s been a month overdue ;__; ), and I’m enjoying it so much more now that I’ve got a better idea of what’s happening, or what is going to happen. Things make so much more sense.

And~ if you do get back into reading it, make sure you have your speakers on or use headphones. That was a mistake I made my first time reading, and I missed a ton of really great music. ;o; They literally have full albums of music for this comic, which is one of the things that I love about it. :slight_smile:

Haha, besides this, I haven’t really had any interest to read other webcomics, besides maybe Problem Sleuth or Midnight Crew, which are comics Andrew Hussie wrote on the MSPA site before Homestuck. I’ve also read a bit of Lackadaisy by Tracy Butler, but never kept up on it.

Also, there’s a really cute one that someone I follow on Twitter has been working on. It’s called Cucumber Quest and the style it’s drawn in is absolutely adorable. Gigi’s sense of humor is great, and though her story and its art is very heavily-influenced by video games (which I’ve never been all that into :stuck_out_tongue:), what I had read was really cute. She’s updated a ton since I left off, so I should probably get back into reading it. D:

little chef

The gore never really seemed notable to me, but I watched quite a bit of shonen anime. Animated blood everywhere.

My one major issue with Homestuck is the amount of profanity. I like the plot other than that, though. Superfluous cussing is superfluous.

I love the exiles SO MUCH. I need to edit WV/PM into my shipper signature somewhere. <3

My webcomics are all history related!

*Scandinavia and the World
*The Dreamer
*The Paul Reveres
*Thinkin’ Lincoln
*Dovecote Crest