The King's Speech

At this exact moment I’m watching “'The King’s Speech: Behind the Scenes” on BBC America.

I really want to see this movie. I’ve heard nothing but good things from critics, it has great actors (Helena Bonham Carter, Geoffrey Rush), and it’s been nomianted for a pack of Golden Globes.

My town’s cinema’s website says that they’ll be playing this movie “in the near future”, but don’t give dates. :confused: But as soon as I have the chance, I’m going to see it.

So, what say you? What is everyone else’s thoughts on the movie and it’s potential with Golden Globes and Oscars? Who’s seen it?

The King’s Speech was amazing! I highly recommend you watch it. I don’t want to spoil the movie for you, so I’ll be general and simply tell you that the film - apart from being a nice history lesson and an excellent portrayal of what stammerers really go through - perfectly captures the essence of learning perseverance and courage through friendship (the film is much more than that, though, like all great films are). In my humble opinion, it’s the fourth best film of the year (my top three of 2010 are Toy Story 3, The Social Network, and Inception).

In terms of Oscars, it’s almost certainly going to be nominated for Best Picture. Don’t bet on it winning the big prize, though… as much as I’d like Toy Story 3 to win Best Picture, The Social Network is currently sweeping pretty much every critics awards (The Social Network would still be a worthy winner nonetheless).

I’ve seen it. The King’s Speech is, in my opinion, one of the best films in probably the last 20 years. I just adored it.

I’m waiting for it to come to my country!

It features one of my favorite actors ever (Rush), and Firth. It also has Bonham Carter (who I don’t like a lot) in a very different role (Thank god!).

I saw this two weeks ago, and it is indeed an excellent film. Everyone involved should get Oscar noms.

Thank you for your reviews, everyone! It makes me even more excited to see it.

Spirit: I’m a fan of Helena Bonham Carter, but I agree that it’s nice to see her outside of a Tim Burton movie.

The King’s Speech was brilliant. Best film I’ve seen in some time. The performances from everyone were fantastic, and plus, I have a special soft spot for Geoffrey Rush.

A must see if you haven’t yet.

I hope to see it soon, it looks good.

I agree with what everyone here is saying. It is a wonderful film - I hope more people see it in the coming weeks. It really does deserve awards recognition. (Full thoughts on the film here.)

I think what I loved about it so much, (besides the acting), is the fact that it doesn’t ever feel like a dreary historical retelling. It is actually quite an entertaining film, and touching, too. If only more films were made to this caliber… A must see of this, (and last), year.

• E

I’m happy to hear all of these positive reviews! My town’s cinema is starting to play this movie starting on Friday, I’m totally going to see it this weekend.

The King’s Speech is pretty much one of the best films of the year. It’s a must-see, so I’m glad you’ll be seeing it this weekend! For me, it’s right up there with Toy Story 3, The Social Network, and Inception. I’d love to see Geoffrey Rush win an Oscar or Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor. He totally deserves it.

I saw it a couple weeks ago. I loved every single minute of it, and everything about it. I hope it does fantastically at the Oscars.

I’m very disappointed by how it was recieved at the Golden Globes (like Basil, I was hoping Geoffrey Rush got Best Supporting Actor, but that didn’t happen) However, Colin totally deserved his Golden Globe for Best Actor. That was some acting!

Hmm… the rave reviews here certainly piques my interest. Usually, I’m not a fan of historical royal dramas (unless it involves a lot of swordfighting and Cate Blanchett)… I have no idea what this is film is about - it’s escaped my radar, and I’m not sure if it’s getting a theatrical release here.

But, again, the rave reviews are making me mighty curious. Plus, I’m a fan of Geoffrey Rush (he’s starred in a lot of my favourite films) and Helena Bonham Carter (same for her).

For anyone who hasn’t already seen it, you can see the trailer for The King’s Speech here: trailers.apple.com/trailers/wein … ngsspeech/

There are two clips on the page as well, but I would suggest seeing the trailer first.

• E

While I can’t say anything about the film’s quality (for I have not watched it yet), the trailer certainly is one of the best I’ve seen of any movie this year! :slight_smile:

It’s like My Fair Lady meets A Beautiful Mind!

I’m keeping an eye on this, thanks for the link, OMFV.

If anyone is interested in the song used in the trailer, it’s “City of Hope” by Audiomachine.

Saw it yesterday with a friend. It was excellent. I actually had to attend speech therapy when I was much younger myself. Not for a stammer but just other things. See, I didn’t talk one proper word at all until I was over two years old (and then shocked my mother by saying a full sentence). Apparently, this did affect me a little and I’d have problems with pronounciation. It didn’t really last long - but, yeah, I’m better now then I was then (at least when I’m not under exceedingly high stress). I also had a friend who attended speeech therapy later in life because of an accident.

In any case, Colin Firth gave an excellent preformance. Both he and his main supporting actor deserve Oscar nominations. :smiley:

Also, it was pretty historically accurate in certain instances. At least with regards what Bertie’s father was like from what I remember reading about.

The actor’s name is Geoffrey Rush, one of my favorites ever. He also voiced Nigel on Finding Nemo.

I’m glad that you liked the film, mentalguru! I agree about Colin Firth, that must of been a hard role to play. He definitely deserved that Golden Globe, and I hope he and the rest of the cast does fantastically at the Oscars.

Your comment about historical accuracy makes me wonder if any members of the Royal family have seen it and thoughts about it, especially Queen Elizabeth.

I saw The King’s Speech, and I loved it. In my opinion, it was better than The Social Network, but that’s just me. I loved the music, too. I’m hoping that Colin Firth gets an Oscar for this one.

Nope, not just you! I’m with you, I hope either this or Black Swan claims the prize.