Your favorite films from 2010

I probably should’ve made this thread earlier in the month, and there might already be one like it, but describe your favorite movies from 2010 (whether you saw them in theaters or not). I’ll start.

• Toy Story 3: In my opinion, the best way you could possibly end the series - I will never forget that day I woke up at 6 am in anticipation, readying the toys as we drove off to see the movie. Might be one of the happiest, most excited moments of my life.

• Tangled: I feel so bad for doubting Disney earlier on during the production of this one, it was superbly done and surprisingly tearjerking in the last half or so. It might also be the most visually appealing CGI movie I’ve seen.

• How to Train Your Dragon: Gave me a new stance on DreamWorks. There isn’t a single thing I can think of that this movie does “wrong”. The quiet, thought-filled moments are the strongest, and the flight sequences are exciting.

• Despicable Me: It’s probably not Oscar material like the other three mentioned, but I love it all the same. In particular, the more cartoonish jokes and design scheme, it had a good, heartfelt core to it as well.

• Tron Legacy: A great way to start the new years! This movies does a great job of capturing the air of 80’s gaming nostalgia we feel in the first movie, with a more cutting-edge modern look. The story isn’t the freshest thing to come from Disney last year, but it’s well-executed.

Here are my top favorites:
Edits to this list will be italicized when most recent. No film will be dropped from the list due to this. Latest edit: TRUE GRIT.

1. The Social Network - Solid acting, solid script, solid plot, solid everything. Nothing really came out and grabbed me like the movies I placed higher on the list, but the consistence of the pacing and flow of the story still makes this a great movie.

2. Inception - DREAMS INSIDE OF DREAMS INSIDE OF DREAMS. Great performances, awesome concept, good execution. Plus, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, Ken Watanabe, Marion Cotillard, and Juno all together in a movie? Powerhouse acting right there.

4) True Grit - Wow. This movie is fantastically fun. The film gives great acting all across the board, from veterans Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon all the way to child actress Hailee Steinfeld (who does an AMAZING job as protagonist Mattie Ross). If you love westerns, this is a must-see; if you don’t, then I still strongly recommend you see this movie, as it’s one of the best of the year.

1. How To Train Your Dragon - Talk about a step up for DreamWorks. The animation is fantastic, and the fact that the script isn’t riddled with pop culture references ever other line just makes it all that much better.

2. Toy Story 3 - As a movie on its own, it’s only pretty good. But combined with the previous two, and viewed as the ending to a magnificent trilogy of films, it concludes the 15 year long story on an excellent note.

3. The King’s Speech - Man, what can I say about this movie? Aside from its compelling plot line and outstanding script, the one thing that pushed this film above and beyond all the others on this list was its amazing acting. And I’m not just talking about the fantastic Colin Firth, Helena Bonham Carter, and (one of my favorites) Geoffrey Rush; everybody from Michael Gambon (King George VI’s stubborn father) to Timothy Spall (the fantastically pouting Winston Churchill) puts their all into this movie. That, accompanied by all other filmmaking aspects of it, makes The King’s Speech my favorite movie of the year.

[spoil]Although, I haven’t seen Black Swan, The Kids Are All Right, or The Illusionist yet…[/spoil]

Despicable Me:
Cute story,cute characters, great score.

Toy Story 3 (of course):
No explanation needed.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World:
Very funny, action-packed, plus I’m a sucker for Micheal Cera, darn his adorable social awkwardness!

Tangled:
Keeps up with the Disney legacy. Sometimes laugh out loud funny, sometimes tearjerking.

Shutter Island :
Wow! Great plot, great cast, great script,great director, all make a wonderfully entertaining, nearly flawless film.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid:
Really captured the middle school experience.

How to Train Your Dragon:
Wonderful animation, great voice acting, DreamWorks best yet, IMHO.

Marmaduke:
I love kids movies. Especially kids movies with talking dogs voiced by Owen Wilson (one of my favorite actors)

Alice in Wonderland:
Tim Burton + Lewis Carroll= A beautiful lovechild. :slight_smile:

So here are my favorites (Sorry Despicable Me, Megamind, and Alice in Wonderland. You didnt’ make it)

Toy Story 3
As Leirin said, the perfect ending

Tangled
Beautiful, Charming, and Funny

The King’s Speech
I loved every minute of it, and everything about it

Harry Potter 7
I had too much fun watching this movie on opening night!

How To Train Your Dragon
Dude, I want a nightfury

Kickass
This movie is as kickass as it’s name

Yogi Bear
It isn’t the crown jewel of movies, but it was fun and silly

Black Swan
Creepy and Trippy! I was on the edge of my seat!

^ I still haven’t seen HP7! My dad kept saying we’re gonna go, and we haven’t yet. :frowning:

I hope you go and see it, it’s pretty epic. It wasn’t my favorite of the Harry Potter films, but I still enjoyed it!

Least to greatest:

Alice in Wonderland(don’t shoot!) Not a good movie, and a terrible adaptation/sequel. Buit I found myself enjoying it for some reason. LOVE the score.

Despicable Me: This movie actually made me cry. I love it. It was nice to see a movie that made me happy, rather than like I just left a funeral. :slight_smile:

TS3: Well, I cried 5 times. I didn’t like this movie the first 2-3 times, but it’s finally grown on me. :slight_smile:

HtTYD: I won’t explain this placement, because I’ll get attacked. I just LOVE this movie. The end.

Here’s my Oscar prediction for Best Movie:

Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids are All Right
The King’s Speech
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter’s Bone

I have one slot left. I would say either 127 Hours or The Town.

I saw 3 movies this year (or last year)

1. Toy Story 3- I love this movie. <3
  2. Secretariat- Good. The race scenes were really cool.
  3. Voyage of the Dawn Treader- Didn’t follow the book very well, but I still enjoyed it. I thought the ending was nice.
    I think that I teared up during all of these. :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t name all of my favorites because I liked so many. But here is a few that I can name off the top of my head.

Tangled
TS3
Inception
How To Train Your Dragon

I still need to see this!

It is a mind blower. It is one of those complex films that you must see over and over again to understand it better.

In no order:

-Toy Story 3: obviously, but I found it to be a rather personal movie.

-127 Hours: my favorite live-action film of the year, I wouldn’t be surprised if this movie changed someone’s life.

-Black Swan: creepy, smart, great performances, and a beautiful story/score. Did I mention creepy?

-Tangled: the Disney movie that needed to be made. Thanks Disney.

-How to Train Your Dragon: by far Dreamworks’ best film, and the only one that can be held on a Pixar level.

-Kick-Ass: action packed, and very exciting.

-Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World: still the funniest movie of the year, and a favorite of mine.

-Inception: my favorite experience in a theatre ever was the ending of this movie.

-The Social Network: very overrated, but still a well made and enjoyable movie.

-The Crazies: Not counting Black Swan, the best horror film of the year, and overall fun.

-Piranha 3D: I’m still speechless.

-Shutter Island: People seem to have forgotten this movie, but I still love it.

Man, I missed everything this year!!! I saw 2 animated movies, and 2 live action. HP7 was terrible, and though I liked Alice, appearently no one else does. I feel like I missed 2010 completely.

Here’s my list:

How To Train Your Dragon - Best DreamWorks’ movie I have seen so far (well, along with Prince of Egypt)
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - Loved the ending. And the fighting scenes were awesome.
Megamind - …I really really want to see this again. :frowning: Too bad I have to wait for the DVD…
Despicable Me - I adored the girls, and I felt that the story was great. :slight_smile: I love father/daughter relationships. :smiley:

…And I wish I could say Tangled, but we didn’t have the chance to see it. :frowning:

A fun filled list of my top 5.

1. Toy Story 3
Duh. Although I’ve been starting to pick it apart more lately. Not digging it as much anymore, but still my favorite movie of the year.

2. The Social Network
Engaging from beginning to end. Also, the soundtrack is amazing.

3. Scott Pilgrim
It’s just awesome although I do have a lot of nitpicks.

4. The King’s Speech
Funny, relateable, well written, overall very enjoyable.

5. Inception
Although the script is a little dull at times and the characters aren’t great, it’s still definitely worth watching and brings about a lot of interesting ideas.

Tangled would also be on this list somewhere, but I didn’t see it in theaters so I feel guilty counting it.

Great list, Bryko!!

My Top 10

1. Toy Story 3
  2. Inception
  3. The Social Network
  4. Black Swan
  5. Tangled
  6. TRON Legacy
  7. Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 1
  8. The Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole
  9. Shutter Island
  10. Kick Ass

I also need to watch The King’s Speech, 127 Hours(despite I know the thread and how it ends), The Kids are All Right and The Illusionist

1. How to Train Your Dragon

2. Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader

3. Despicable Me

4. Megamind

I don’t see very many movies so my list is quite tiny. .___.

I’m so very sad I never got to see Tangled. 8C Everything I’ve heard about it has been glowing, and it makes me feel like I missed out on something really special. Darn stupid theaters, that only play 4 movies at a time. :X

The more I’ve thought about it, and the more I’ve watched it, the more I’ve realized just how much I don’t like TS3. So unfortunately it doesn’t even make my list.

Grabs Viking shield and prepares for rock pelting

little chef

Throws the first rock